Not Good Enough
I used to let my Bible fall open and hoped the verses on those pages would speak to me. My quiet times were (mostly) arid, unproductive, and done simply because I should. I didn’t understand why I couldn’t hear God, at least, not the way others did. I decided I was just spiritually immature.
- If I could just learn some Hebrew, or pay better attention in church, or fully understand things like sanctification, then I would have marvelous quiet times.
- If I could just spend 30 minutes everyday- no, wait- an hour each day, then I would have a thriving relationship with God.
- If I truly had the Spirit in me, I would know where to read every day and it would be the exact thing I needed.
I held myself to a graceless standard. I wrestled with self-blame until I was 29, the year my world started crumbling.
During an intense time of grief, God showed me I didn’t need to doÂ something to receive from His word. He wasn’t asking me to get to a certain level before He would unlock it for me. If any of those lies I had believed were true, the whole relationship became more about me and my efforts than about what God is able to do. Did I really believe that “the word of God is alive and active[?]” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV)
I focused on simply coming to Him with an open heart. I needed to find life. I had no other recourse.
For the first time in my life, I discovered the pulse. I wanted to jump back. Did that just happen? I’d read the same words before, but the message was new. God used it to speak to my specific need at that moment. I could almost hear the pages inhaling and exhaling.
A Word Picture
A child went walking through the woods and saw a rock, so he poked it with his walking stick. Every other time he poked a rock, nothing happened. But this time- this time the rock moved! It turns out it isn’t a rock at all; it’s alive!
When you pick up His word, we are not picking up an inanimate book like all the rest. We are holding an organic, living thing, made alive by God’s Spirit! We don’t need to be scholars to decipher it. We must recognize our need, be willing to hear, and trust that He is faithful.
Let’s approach our time with God focused on our hearts instead of the clock. The more we spend time with Him, the more we will understand His ways.Â When we recognize His desires for us through this intimate connection, we will be willing, even excited to do what He asks of us. Even if that means getting up while it’s still dark!
His Grace is Enough for You!
If you struggle with having quiet times, let alone early morning ones, you are not alone. Even today, I still struggle, and that is because we are not without resistance in this life. Recognize that it is the Liar who does not want you to know your Father. Let go of the burden of guilt. God is not asking you to carry that. Come to Him with the right attitude- open and willing. If you can’t, ask Him to help you. He is faithful even when we are not!
Ooh! FUN giveaways for you gorgeous ladies today!
First, I know you want some lovely jewelry, so how about a $50 store credit to The Vintage Pearl?!
I LOVE Erin’s work and her heart! You could get one of these beautiful pieces…
And that’s not all, because we have a SECOND part to today’s giveaway!
Wow – don’t we all need that kind of peace?! Her beautiful art and her heart for Jesus are so inspiring!
How is THAT for some awesome giveaways today?! Each of you deserve it – YOU are changing your life and home for the better!
How To Enter
There are four ways to enter the giveaway.
1. Leave a comment here and tell us how your mornings are going or one way Michelle’s post encouraged you. Get an extra entry for encouraging someone else in the comments!
2. Tweet this week in the main #hellomornings stream on Twitter.
3. Share an encouragement this week on Facebook.
4. MYM Challenge participants can also enter by interacting with your MYM Accountability Group (via Twitter or Facebook.)