Preparing for the Teen Years :: Elisa Pulliam :: ITA95

By February 20, 2016Podcast

Every time Elisa shares with us on the podcast, she offers so much wisdom and insight. Today’s episode is no exception! We chat about parenting tweens and teens differently but fairly, paying attention to the state of our child’s heart, having transparent conversations and preparing for the teen years. I loved our conversation and I know you will too!

In This Episode You’ll Hear…

• Her overarching vision when it comes to parenting teens
  • What to focus on when your teen throws a fit
  • How Elisa impacted and influenced teenagers who weren’t brought up around those of faith
  • Why it’s important to be transparent and honest with your children
  • How to have transparent conversations with your kids when they won’t initiate, ask questions, or listen
  • Dealing with relationships and dating in the lives of your teens
  • Encouragement for the mom who feels like she’s failing

Eliminate the Overwhelm of Meal Planning

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

Get your free 30 day trial at

Quick Links

1. Elisa’s book: Meet the New You: A 21-Day Plan for Embracing Fresh Attitudes and Focused Habits for Real Life Change
  3. Love the song in the outro? It’s called God Day. It’s by Jen Stanbro and you can get it on iTunes by clicking here and check out Jen’s site by clicking here.

Connect with Elisa Pulliam

Social media:
facebook Facebook

How to Listen to This Podcast

Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher and get the latest episodes as soon as they are available. If you’re new to podcasts, click here learn more about them!

Click the play button in the post or grab your favorite podcast app and join us for a chat!

• Suse says:

I’m not sure about the idea of sitting down and ‘costing out’ our kids dreams… I think God often makes a way for those things that on paper, seem impossible. 🙂

• Kat Lee says:

Oh, I agree – He absolutely does. I can’t speak for Elisa, but I didn’t take her story to mean we should limit our kids dreams, but rather to help them be as informed as possible so that they can weigh that information with prayer as they make decisions about the future.

For example, all my children would love to go to the University my husband and I went to. However, it’s a rather high priced private university and unless they get big scholarships they will likely have to take out loans to attend that school. If one of our kids wants to be a corporate lawyer it might make sense for them to go to that school even if they have to take out loans. But if they want to be a kindergarten teacher, we definitely want to sit down with them and crunch the numbers on how many years of a teachers salary it will take to pay back the loans to help them decide how important that particular school is to them.

I 100% believe God can make it possible and I think we can impart that truth to our children while at the same time helping them learn all they can about the decisions they have before them.

Thanks so much for the prompt to clarify that point from the interview, Suse!

• Elisa says:

Suse, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I’d echo Kat’s response and clarification. As a matter of fact, since my daughter worked on that budget, she’s been dreaming about all sorts of possibilities and entertaining many different majors, schools, and career options.

We visited a local college last week and as a result, it became clear that she really “lit up” when talking with the folks in the Athletic Training department compared to the other fields she was thinking about. In the days since, she’s even more sure that’s the avenue she wants to go down. She’s exploring her dreams, for sure. But she’s also being practical in realizing that finances are a factor she needs to consider long-term. Sure, she’ll apply to lots of different schools while we wait to see what God will provide and then we’ll make a decision knowing that God’s got a place for her . . . maybe a number of places . . . and she’ll make the decision that fits right.

The budget exercise isn’t keeping her from pursuing what she feel God has made her to do, but rather enabling her to see how to approach it with realistic expectations while together we ask God to do exceedingly and abundantly more than we could ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). We take the approach that It’s a both/and not an either/or when it comes to dreaming, planning, and praying for the Lord’s will to be done. Does that clarification make sense?

Again, I appreciate your concern and question!

• Suse says:

Thanks so much for both your responses. xx

• Monica says:

Loved listening to this! Parenting four boys (two teens and another very close ;)) and writing about it a lot these days. I was encouraged by so much of this podcast! Heading to Elisa’s site next and very curious about the Highlands assessment–sounds like exactly what we’re looking for for our 16 yr. old. Loved all of your talk about college and getting practical with all options! Sharing this with my community as well!
    Thank you!

• Elisa says:

Thank you so much for listening and your kind words, Monica! Thanks for sharing the content with your community too. I pray for it to be a great encouragement!

• Alissa says:

What was the name of the book Elisa mentioned that impacted her and the reason for writing her own book? I thought it would be in the shownotes and I was driving when I was listening and didn’t jot it down.