There are so many different ways to educate our children. There may be even more opinions on what’s best. Today I’m not bringing you answers, but instead offering some criteria to use when asking questions.

ITA89-The-Great-School-Debate

As you look at figuring out what will be best for your family, your situation, and for your kids and their personalities, I hope that this podcast will be an encouragement and inspiration to you. Listen along as I share questions we’ve asked, challenges we’re facing, and things that we’ve learned along the way.

In This Episode You’ll Hear…

• Why we’re doing homeschool, public school, and private school this year
  • The idea behind having a “gap year” before beginning high school
  • Questions to ask about education, connection, and character
  • How to stay involved in our kids’ schooling when they’re at public or private school
  • How homeschooling has changed the way I look at school in general

My favorite recipes this week:

BBQ Shredded Pork – I love making little freezable slider sandwiches with this meat.
Chili – Chili is SO versatile. We eat it over potatoes, rice, or tortilla chip (chili cheese nachos – yum!)
Sour Cream Enchiladas – Tex Mex needs no explanation. Just…yum.

Eliminate the Overwhelm of Meal Planning

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

Get your free 30 day trial at PlanToEat.com.

Quick Links

1. IEW – Institute for Excellence in Writing
  2. Sonlight
  3. My Father’s World
  4. Love the song in the outro? It’s called God Day. It’s by Jen Stanbro and you can get it on iTunes by clicking here and check out Jen’s site by clicking here.

Connect with Kat

Social media:
twitterTwitter
facebook Facebook
pinterestPinterest
instagramInstagram

How to Listen to This Podcast

Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher and get the latest episodes as soon as they are available. If you’re new to podcasts, click here learn more about them!

Click the play button in the post or grab your favorite podcast app and join us for a chat!

Comments

• Suse says:

Hey Kat, you know I’m a huge fan of yours and the show, so hope you know that any comments come from a place of huge love and respect. I would just put a question mark over the idea that what’s best for my child is ‘the best’ as believers. My husband teaches in a private school so I’ve seen how lovely it is (plus, we’d get a hefty discount on fees) but where loads of kids in the world don’t have their basic daily needs met, I can’t justify that luxury for my kid just because she’s lucky enough to have been born into relate affluence. I just wanted to pop that out there. But thank you for making this superb show: I recommend it to all my friends x

• Kat Lee says:

Suse,
      Thank you so much for sharing that. I absolutely agree and I’m incredibly concerned that I inadvertently communicated that any one educational answer is best for anyone. That was definitely not my intention and actually quite the opposite.

Was there any part in particular that communicated that? I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and helping me clarify. Perhaps a rerecord is in order…

Thanks Suse!

• Suse says:

Hi Kat, I am sorry – didn’t make my point very clearly! You absolutely didn’t present any one option as the best – in fact, you gave a really balanced presentation of each and it was very interesting to hear your experiences. I think the point I was perhaps trying to make – and not intending to sound judgemental in any way at all, as each person makes their own choices that sit well with them – is that the idea that the best choice for our children is always the best. The ‘best’ choice for my shy daughter would almost certainly be to send her to private school, but we’ve fallen on the side of ‘how much can we invest in this one child when others have so very little?’ Sorry for the confusion and no re-record necessary even a bit! xx

• Maria says:

Hi Kat! You covered all three schooling options so well! We have done private, public and homeschooling as well with our children. And our experience and thoughts on each are very similar to your own. Ultimately, we have settled on homeschooling for both our kids for many different reasons. At first the decision was made because we felt it was the best fit for our kids but as time has gone by, I realize what a blessing it has been for me as a Mother and our family as a whole not just the kids. A lot of prayer went into our educational choices and finally just pushing worry and fear aside and stepping forward in faith. Gods plan for us are always so much better than our own! Thanks for the great podcast!

My daughter also thinks Mr. Pudewa is hilarious:)

• kuliejellogg says:

I read an article in our state’s Christian homeschooling magazine about a family who have used a year (like the one your oldest daughter is in now) to intentionally place their son/daughter with men/women who could teach them something, show them a skill, step in as a mentor, take them along as they work, let them help with specific duties/activities, serve the community together, etc. The child spent time with one person per week (from an hour to several) and then wrote a report – actually a blog post – about it to reflect and keep a record. I thought it was a great idea, and I thought of it immediately when you talked about trying to help your daughter spend her “extra” time intentionally.

• Kat Lee says:

What a GREAT idea! I especially like the report/blog writing idea – such a excellent way to help them understand and remember what they are learning. Thanks so much for sharing!

• kristin says:

I just want to tell you how very helpful this was for me! I am really impressed with how you are willing to think outside the educational box, change gears when you need to, and admit when something is working or isn’t. My eldest isn’t quite Kindergarten aged yet, but we have this vision for her education- outdoorsy, free-spirited, and child-led. I love the idea of homeschooling, but want her to have a break from my authority once in a while. So I may include some tutors and some supplemental programs to round out her education. It’s just refreshing to hear your story and to hear your suggestions for figuring out what works for each child/family. thank you!!!