Inspire a Love of Reading in Your Children – with Sarah Mackenzie – ITA58

By October 14, 2014Podcast, Popular

Reading aloud with our children is one of the most powerful habits we can develop. But how do we find the time? What if we don’t like reading either? How do we help our children develop a love of books?

ITA58-Sarah-Mackenzie

We answer all these questions and more in this week’s podcast with my guest is Sarah Mackenzie from the blog Amongst Lovely Things and the podcast Read Aloud Revival.

In This Episode You’ll Hear…

• What are the best books to read aloud for your child’s age?
  • Is there a difference in the benefits listening to an audio book or a person?
  • If you read just 5 minutes aloud everyday for 1 year, guess how many hours you will have read? You won’t believe it!

A Huge Thank You!

A huge thanks to this month’s Podcast sponsor –PLAN TO EAT– be sure to check them out! Click here to get your free 30 day trial.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

This week has been CRAZY and makes me even more thankful for this site. I normally try to think through my meal planning at least a little bit, but I just don’t have time this week, so I’m super thankful for their “saved menus” feature. I just drag a saved menu onto my calendar and now my son and I can head to the store after school with our list ready to go.

Time savers like this save my sanity!

My recipes this week are:
Chicken and Rosemary Vegetables
P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef
Asparagus Geneva
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Click the play button in the post or grab your favorite podcast app and join us for a chat!

Tweet to Inspire: Inspiring a love for reading in our children. How does that happen? – @amlovelythings on @inspired2action –> http://ctt.ec/kJF_6

ITA58-HowToBuildABookWorm

Quick Links

1. Click here to sign up for the parenting webinar I’m hosting.
  2. Excellence of Writing by Andrew Pudewa
  3. Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson
  4. Honey for a Childs Heart  and Honey for a Teens Heart Gladys Hunt
  5. Love the song in the outro? It’s called God Day. It’s by Jen Stanbro and you can get it on iTunes by clicking here and check out Jen’s site by clicking here.

Connect with Sarah

Blog:
Read Aloud Revival

Social media:
twitter Twitter
facebook Facebook
pinterest Pinterest
instagram Instagram

How to Listen to This Podcast

Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher and get the latest episodes as soon as they are available. If you’re new to podcasts, click here learn more about them!

Comments

• Sarah M says:

yayyyY! I haven’t even listened yet but Sarah is one of my fav. bloggers. 🙂

• Suse Fish says:

A book – yes Kat, this is clearly the next step for you! I would love some sort of ‘dip-into’ book of encouragements (not unlike Holley Gerth’s) as it’s that encouragement and cheering-on that I love about your podcasts. But keep podcasting too! Because it’s you we love. :o)

• Kat says:

Suse,
      I’m so glad to know that the podcast encourage you. It’s certainly a goal of mine. And if I do ever write a book I’ll definitely keep podcasting!

• Rachel says:

I really enjoy the podcasts and would hate to see them disappear while you are writing a book (which is what I assume would happen, because how in the world could you add “writing a book” to your life without subtracting something?) A book would be nice, but the podcast is so quick, refreshing, and easy to gain encouragement from when I don’t have time to sit and read…you come along with me to the gym typically which is some of my only quiet, kid-free time in this season of life. Reading while running just isn’t quite as easy as listening to the podcast 😉

• Kat says:

Rachel,
      I definitely wouldn’t want to cause you to trip and fall while trying to run and read! 🙂

Well, if I started on a book it wouldn’t be for a little while for the exact reason you mentioned. I can’t imagine putting the podcast on pause, so I’d need to free up time in other areas of my online life and figure out how to streamline things. If it’s not possible to podcast AND write a book, then I don’t think I could write a book. I’d miss podcasting too much! I’m glad to know you’d miss it too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Elizabeth says:

Great podcast! And one that encouraged what I am already doing! Others help me to improve, or at least challenge me to, I still have the homemade yogurt recipe open from the day you posted that one but haven’t made it yet. We love audio books in the car and reading aloud. Could you give me more information on the Story of the World book? And I listen while driving 🙂

• I think you should keep at the forefront your passions – which is podcasting. And I would also dearly miss it if it was put to the side to write a book (I missed the podcast over this last summer). On the other side – I think that the strengths of a book would be a centralized place to summarize the ideas and encouragement you have collected through podcasting. Listening to the podcast are great, but b/c of length of time it is not as easy to refer to something as it is to “flip through a book”.

• GinnyLou says:

Oh, Kat, how can you make me choose between my beloved podcast and a book?? If you made me, I would have to choose the podcast. I love your writing and your stories (the sports analogies are my favorites!), but the podcast is something I can find time for in the middle of life as a mom. I’ve developed a love of podcasts beginning with yours and Josh and Chuck from Stuff You Should Know. Those two are my favorites!
    That said, I do think a book would enable you to reach a more varied audience with your core message. People who wouldn’t think of listening to a podcast may be more likely to pick up a book. And, of course, I’d pick it up too!
    I’ll be interested to see where life takes you–and I’ll follow wherever you wind up!

• Marcy says:

Hi Kat! I think that a book would be great, just because I’m sure you would do an amazing job! On the other hand, I listen to your podcast because it encourages me while I’m doing laundry or cleaning, or pushing the stroller, and reading will require me seating down, which it doesn’t happen very much lately. So, an audio book, would be awesome!!!

• Liz Handel says:

Hi Kat! I am SO appreciative of your podcast. It is very inspiring and I feel like you are right in my car with me! Your opening remarks to moms feel so personal and it often brings me to tears.

Regarding a book, I think it would be awesome! As long as you continued to do a podcast too! 🙂 I often recommend your podcast, but I’m sure many mom’s (or single women) would enjoy your book! You are talented in speaking to women. I desire to speak to women the same way as I enjoy that time so much (coffee dates, play dates).

• Aggie says:

I had to pop over here to look at the show notes because I absolutely LOVED this podcast! I am a reader, and my kids are big readers too. They love books! Our nightly tradition (when we have time) is to read in my bed together. They beg for it (probably because they don’t want to go to bed 😉 ). I read a book with them a while ago but never really finished it…so your podcast guest today has completely inspired me to take her 5 minute challenge. I think we may actually start with Ramona Quimby, age 8 🙂 Also…I love all your audiobook suggestions.

Your podcast is a gem. It’s the first (and only) one I listen to regularly. Thank you for what you put into it!

• miathereader says:

Oh, this is a great podcast! I love sharing our favorite books and hearing all about everyone else’s, too!

• Lissy Clarke says:

Love it! I remember my mom (a children’s lit fanatic) saying “richer than I you’ll never be for I had a mother who read to me” I’m pretty sure her mom used to say it to her.

Having said that, this isn’t a huge reading season for me, which is why the podcast format is so helpful.

Thanks for this one!

• oopy25 says:

I wouldn’t complain if you wrote a book but in this season of life, I can easy keep up with podcasts but books are on the back burner because of the busyness of 4 little ones. I love how I can listen to audio in so many situations! Working out, folding laundry, making dinner, dishes, quiet time, driving, so many opportunities to hear from you and the encouragement you share!

• Julie says:

I think your podcast is able to meet moms where there are in a unique way. I get so much wisdom and encouragement from it! You are an outstanding interviewer. I listen to 4 or 5 podcasts regularly, and this one is among my favorite!

• Danielle says:

Kat – just listened to this podcast, which I love! You have a gift for touching moms in this format & I love having an alternative to reading so I can listen when doing routine homemaking tasks. I would love to read a book written by you, but only if it’s something you are passionate about pursuing. Your passion and energy for podcasting comes through in your interviews and it encourages and motivates me to make time for the hobbies and activities that fill my soul.

• guirlenejean says:

Writing a book is a great idea Kat. I believe it would be a fantastic one that would bless many. But personally I prefer the podcast because as a mom it makes it so much easier and quicker to absorb knowledge and encouragement while preparing breakfast or exercising or doing laundry. Your niche right now is mostly mom who are in a season of busyness. So the podcast should always be there even though you are writing. There’s always those who does not have the luxury of sitting down to read a book. I just now have an idea! You could make it an audio book. Something to consider. Either way, I love you and your ministry to women is indispensable. So, I pray that God’s will be done in that decision

• Chris says:

Please keep on podcasting……