As I was running this morning I found myself asking “Is it worth it?” I’m training right now for my next race and I’m attempting to stay on a running schedule. But it’s hot and humid and I’m sacrificing sleep for this run right now. So the question comes to mind “Is this worth it?” This question comes to mind in other areas of my life besides exercise.
- When I am in it up to my neck in training these little people God has given us. There are times when I’m at a loss and I wonder: Is this worth it? Am I making a difference?
- When something takes me extra effort or time that will show my husband respect or encouragement. But will he even notice? Is it worth it?
- Taking time to pursue relationships with family members, friends, neighbors. Well they don’t seem to care one way or the other so why should I?
- Getting up early to spend time with the Lord, when most mornings I am interrupted by early risers who don’t know how to be quiet. Why am I doing this again? Is it worth it?
- Daily choosing to walk with Him. Often His way is not the most popular, not the easiest or most comfortable. And that question creeps into my head, is this worth it?
Of course I know the answer to this question in each of these scenarios. It IS worth it. All of it. But I still have these thoughts in moments of doubt, complacency and discouragement. And I’m guessing, if you are honest you do too. Lies can so easily find their way into our thought life and tell us that our effort and time put into staying fit and healthy, our marriage, our kids, our relationship with Him and others isn’t worth it. BUT IT IS.
Anything that is precious is going to cost us something to maintain, to pursue. Or it wouldn’t be precious to us.
It is worth the extra time, effort, the uncomfortableness, even the lack of sleep. My kids are worth it, my husband is worth it, my God is worth it. And if I want to be healthy and fit and do races well, then the training is worth it. So I will fight back those lies with truth. His truth.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2
I will pursue my goals, my kids, my husband and others even when I don’t get the instant gratification of making a difference that I so want. I pray that my heart motivations are pure. Above all, I will pursue Him. He is worth it. On the days when I don’t feel like getting up to run, when my quiet time is continually interrupted, when I discipline for the same things over and over, when the drama and attitude is a little too much, when my extra effort goes unnoticed and I just don’t have it all together. It is okay. Because He still sees me same, He gives grace and He says: I am worth it. And He says: You are worth it. Let’s keep going.
What fitness/life goals are you chasing after? Share in the comments below!
Aubrey is married to Brian and they have one handsome little dude and twin girly girls. Brian and Aubrey were in full time ministry for 11 years but recently made a major change and entered the working world. Aubrey works part time at a local triathlon store and recently started her own Virtual Assistant business. She loves to run, eat ice cream, create something out of nothing and have dance parties with her kids even though her dancing is less than cool. She is passionate about encouraging and helping others to set goals in all areas of life and then help them go after it! Aubrey is self labeled the CEO of the little part of the world they call home, relying on God’s grace every step of the way.
Leave a Comment