How 15 Minutes Can Transform Your Motherhood (and your life)

By March 17, 2014General, Get Inspired

“I’m in the depths of despair…”

I’m not prone to drama, but since becoming a mother I’ve certainly had my moments.

That particular night was no different. The weight of responsibility of raising three human beings and the insurmountable gap between the mother I wanted to be and the mother I really was overwhelmed me.

God-Plan-Move

I’d had an awful day with my children. I was tired, they were tired and it seemed as though everyone had the emotional stomach flu.

Every offense was magnified a thousand times and our raw responses couldn’t be kept down.

When I finally crossed the merciful finish line called “bedtime” I retreated to the garage, sat in my minivan and in the blazing July heat of Texas, my sweat and tears streamed down my face in one ugly mess.

As I sat in the drivers’ seat wondering why God entrusted such beautiful children to such an failing mama, it was as if He reminded me that I can’t possibly lead my children if I don’t know where I’m going. And I can’t know where I’m going until I get out of the drivers’ seat and let Him lead me.

That night I decided to follow Jesus. Oh, I’d been a Christian for years and years, and following at a distance had always worked just fine.

But in that desperate season of motherhood with all of my emotions and hopes hemmoraging, I needed to be like the woman in Scripture…fighting with all my might to simply grasp the hem of His robe.

In my day to day life, that grasping looks like bleary eyes reading His words. That fight looks like my alarm clock. That healing has, in my weakness, not been from taking hold of everything God has for me. No, that healing has come from seemingly insignificant brushes with the hem of His greatness in fleeting moments of the morning. And the change? Miraculous. Slow, but miraculous.

I am not a perfect mother, but I am now a perfectly hopeful mother. And each morning, I grasp for His robe, listen for His direction, plan my day accordingly and do what I can to strength my body for the task ahead.

God. Plan. Move.

That routine has transformed my life.

Some days that looks like a 1 minute prayer, a glance at my to do list and 10 squats.

Other mornings I have more time, but it’s the habit that has made the difference, not the clock.

“It’s the habit that has made the difference, not the clock.”

If you’re feeling desperate in your motherhood today, can I encourage you that this habit is possible for you? And that by the grace of God, it can transform your life…

Habits beget habits. And the first habit of the day is the foundation for the rest of the day. It is your stake in the ground declaring that this day will be lived with purpose and intention.

Is it hard? Oh yeah.

Will you want to claim your first failed morning as a reason to quit the whole thing? Certainly.

Will you want to make excuses? Definitely.

But every obstacle and every failure you face can be “your excuse or your story.” Your choice.

“It’s time to choose between making and excuse or making a story.”

Dream with Me

Dream with me, will you? Imagine how you’ll feel tomorrow knowing that, only a few minutes into the day, you did three of the most important things you could do all day long.

Imagine how you’ll feel after having some time in the Word, praying for your kids, making a simple plan and making your body stronger for all that lies ahead?

It doesn’t take much. Just a few minutes and some of that mama courage.

No matter what stage of life you are in, no matter how much time you have (or don’t have) in the mornings, no matter your natural ability to plan or the state of your health, just take the first step and set your alarm clock for tomorrow morning.

God. Plan. Move.

Read a Psalm. Write a to do list on a sticky note. Do 3 sets of jumping jacks or squats.

“Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” -John Wooden

The Future of HelloMornings

You may know that I started this blog by writing an ebook called Maximize Your Mornings. That ebook launched HelloMornings, a movement of women all over the world dedicated to making the most of their mornings.

HelloMornings has been running on it’s own, under the amazing leadership of Katie Orr, for quite awhile, but I’m super excited to be jumping back into a leadership role now.

Will things change at Inspired To Action? Oh, you might see me writing here or sharing a friend’s story 2 or 3 times a month, but everything else will stay the same. I hope to create more practical resources to help you too. I’m beyond excited about the ideas our team is dreaming up.

Most of all, I hope you see your own heart inspired, your own mornings slowly transforming, your days with your children blossoming and your life with God blooming.

I’m thankful for you today and I truly, deeply believe that God can and wants to do amazing things through you. I challenge you today to believe it too…

Take Action: If you’ve been inspired, take action. Set your alarm for tomorrow and tell me in the comments. Also? Bonus cool points if you can name the source of the quote at the very beginning of this post.

Comments

• Avatar Liz Gossom says:

Anne! Quoteable loveable Anne!
    I’m starting at 7:30am and plan to work back to 6am. I’ve been trying a variation of this, and the more I am mother the more I know I cannot do this without the Lord leading me.
    Thanks for your faithfulness and transparency!

• Avatar Lindsay says:

Your Hello Mornings challenge inspired me several years ago to make rising early a priority. It doesn’t always happen, and I’ve learned to give myself grace in that, but it makes a difference in my motivation, choices, and attitudes for the rest of the day. On days that I don’t make it to the gym, I’ve been starting my morning routine with prayer and meditating on God as I stretch and do some yoga in the darkness of my living room. I love this slow way of getting started. Thanks for all you do to encourage us!

• Avatar Jessica says:

Alarm set – Really hard to do since it’s spring break for us, yet I love getting up for my kids instead of to them. Thanks for all you do to encourage us mamas. Oh, and the quote: Anne Shirley! She is a new favorite around here. 🙂

• Avatar Ann says:

Hot, heavy tears pouring down here after a day at the end of myself. Thank you for your obedience in posting these words, right now. I have decided to follow Jesus. Many times in fact. But I choose again. Alarm is set for 6:50 AM. Thank you, ladies. Glad to be with you.

• Avatar Lisa Vaughn says:

Anne, of course. Another of my favorites is, “Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.” I have been toying with training for a half marathon to benefit a charity I care about. Your encouragement today is pushing me one step closer… Setting the alarm is the first step.

• Avatar Jess Hymus-Gant says:

Thank you! That gives me hope. I often have my meltdown moments with 3 kids under the age of 6 and another one on the way, where I wonder how on earth they are ever going to see Jesus reflected in me when I have just raised my voice for the whole neighbourhood to hear (before 7am!). I have struggled since I became a Mum, to know how to have time with God each day as the only space I seemed to get was in the shower. I am doing my first Hello Mornings challenge at the moment and it is happening! Even though the kids are awake, they have realised I need time to read my Bible and have time talking to Jesus, so they leave me to it most of the time…and I’m sure the Lord understands when my prayer time is interrupted by a request for a banana, or more milk. I am very thankful for a gracious God who totally understands my hearts desire and the obstacles that can sometimes prevent me getting there in one hit….I am taking the scenic route! Really appreciate Hello Mornings and the fabulous women who are supporting and praying along the way. Thank you.

• Avatar Teresa says:

I have enjoyed your podcasts over the past two months but have never visited HelloMornings. Tomorrow will be a first for me, alarm set for 6:15!

• Avatar sabrina says:

I decided a few days ago to start waking up at 4:30am every morning. I did so this morning for the first time. plenty of time to soak in the Word, but did I? nope. your blog inspired me 🙂 thank you!

• Avatar jill britz says:

THANK YOU for being here, Kat, for the kick in the pants to DO HARD THINGS. i make excuses: toddler still doesn’t sleep through the night, huz & i stayed up late talking about our future. BUT. i know i am a better mama, closer to the mama i want to be when i get up, have even 5 minutes, & then enter my day ahead of my kids.

i needed this again. thank you for being an ever-present, inspiring voice in my life!!

• Avatar Stacy says:

Kat, I love your words, as much today as I did when I first came upon your site several years ago. Setting the alarm for 6:30 tomorrow. I know this is what I need to do, and I have been prompted to make this effort for a long time, but I have been afraid to try and feel that sting of failure again. Ready to dive in, and extend that grace to myself that I know He gives me every day. Thank you!

• Avatar Grace from London says:

Kat, I missed your writing, great all the podcasts are. So thank you for writing again.I was doing good this time last year with the God, Plan, Move thing but I haven’t kept it up. So thanks for the encouragement, and also, it’s not about getting up 3 hours to read the word. But 15mins! 15 mins I can do. Thanks for the pep-talk. I needed it.

• Avatar Janiece says:

“God. Plan. Move.” YES! I have been living this habit for just the last year and oh the difference it has made in my life and the lives of my husband and kids. Thanks for your podcasts that give me that consistent dose of encouragement that I need!

• Avatar Anita says:

As a Canadian who loves Prince Edward Island, the quote is from Anne of Green Gables.

• Avatar Erin says:

My obstacle is the nursing baby that wakes up as soon as I do. Making this my *story* gives me renewed focus and hope. I like to plan my days at night before bed, so I’ll try to get in the habit of “God. Move.” I love all your resources, Kat! Thank you!!

• Avatar Amber says:

Just what I needed to hear (again), that we are allowed to be perfectly imperfect when it comes to this motherhood thing. I am truly struggling to make this a habit, I see the importance so clearly at night before I fall into bed but when that dreaded alarm goes off at 5am I suddenly have a million reasons why I should stay under the warm covers until 6, ok maybe 6:30, and then the craziness begins because I didn’t allow myself any time to set my anchor in the Lord and plan my day. Kat, your ability to be vulnerable and share your ‘stuff’ with us dispels the shame that society has created in being an imperfect mother. We are all going around feeling horrible because we aren’t as put together as that mom over there, when she is thinking the exact same thing we are! Thank you so much, your emails are a constant nudge in the right direction and help me feel that this is still possible.

• Avatar Rebekah Hardy says:

Hi! I love the resources I have found here and listening to the pod casts. I wanted to start my day with a prayer time and Bible study for so long!. No matter how much I wanted to or how guilty I felt for not doing it, I remained unable to get myself out of bed on a morning! Until a few months ago. I made the target to get up just before my husband. And I made it. I got up with him for a while – which is a before the children get up, and so a little while after that I put my alarm on for a little before my husband gets up. Its worked! I have learned I need to keep things simple and start small. Thank you Kat for being so encouraging. Lots of love Bex xx

• HelloMornings has literally transformed my life and my mornings. I was a night owl (and still am) but now I get up faithfully at 6am. My #mjad Twitter accountability group has made all the difference and I am so thankful for their encouragement each morning. Kat, thank you for following God’s lead and taking this ministry to the next level. Your passion and hard work has helped so many of us turn something that felt impossible into a daily routine that helps us make it through each day, relying on God for strength instead of ourselves. I can’t wait to see what’s to come!

• Avatar Lisa H. says:

I’m working to make this the routine of my mornings. The alarm is set for 5:15, and it’s oh so hard to get up that early!!!! I know that getting into the routine of starting my day with God and moving and following a plan will help so much, though. Thank you for the encouragement (and for the reminder to be gracious to myself on those mornings when the routine doesn’t happen!).

• Avatar Melissa W. says:

Thank you so, so much for your story — I can identify with it perfectly! And thank you even more for your encouragement towards grace and strength. Even when I’m staring in the face of my weakness, I still battle feelings of failure by taking little steps where I feel I “ought to” take big leaps (ironically, the little steps almost always lead to success, whereas the big leaps tend to be defeating). Thank you, thank you so much for offering hope! 🙂
    And it’s so funny, by the way, because I just recently picked up Anne of Green Gables for the first time in maybe a decade! Anne was such a kindred spirit to me when I was younger, and reading it again is bringing a fresh wind into my life right now. 🙂

• Avatar Christy says:

Love this post! Been doing the MM challenge and am so grateful for it!! Great inspiration to keep going and not give it up!
    The quote came from none other than Anne-with a “e”! 🙂

• Avatar Amy says:

I have to admit, I was very good and faithful at this awhile ago. But got off track somewhere and have been off track for sometime. Maybe it’s time to return home again.

• Avatar Anne says:

I needed to read this today. I have a week old baby (my sixth), and with the postpartum hormones, constant breastfeeding, trying to help the family adjust, lack of sleep,etc, I feel myself falling into “the depths of despair”.
    I am constantly thinking of all the things I am unable to do, but I need to do what I can.
    No need to set an alarm, as I have a baby alarm, but I am going to commit to reading some verses and saying some prayers tomorrow morning while I nurse the baby, writing a short list of the must do’s for that day, and while I can’t move much yet, I will try to do something to help my body recover.
    If anyone reads this and could say a prayer for me, thank you!! Hubby is already back to work, and I have no family in the area to help. I need to cling to Jesus!!

• Avatar Savannah says:

Congratulations on your new little one! I have a three week old so I’m kind of in the same boat. 🙂 However I’m blessed to have family who’ve been a huge help. Anyway, I’ll be praying for you!

• Avatar Sarah C says:

It’s Sori g Break, but I’m still managing to get up before my family and do my Ruth study. I’m exercising with rich this week, which is fun.

Thank you for starting a wonderful movement.

• Avatar Suzie B says:

Hey legendary/amazing/inspired/fantastic Kat- I stumbled across your blog a few years ago just after you had started the whole hello mornings idea. And as I look back over the past few years, I realise the enormous changes that “little” habit of those 3 words has caused . It literally changed my life and happily, evolved into so many positive changes for my family. Your blog was the catalyst. Thanks ever so much! I have posted this particular blog post on my Facebook page in the hope that a few of my friends get on board with the whole God. plan. move. Love it!

• Avatar karen s says:

the quote is from Princess Bride. Also, love this blog. thanks.

• […] Kat at Inspired To Action and I’m thoroughly enjoying her posts. Yesterday she wrote How 15 Minutes Can Transform Your Motherhood, which is about the time in her life when she finally “got out of the driver’s […]

• Avatar Lauren says:

Thanks for this, Kat! I can testify to how getting up in the morning is definitely changing my life! My word for the year has been Discipline, and I knew that would involve changing my mornings… So I started on my own, then joined this last Hello Mornings Challenge, and then found you – worked backward 🙂 I’ve been so encouraged by your ebooks and posts here. Thanks for obeying the Lord and encouraging the Body of Christ!

I’ve had two alarms set to repeat since I read your ebook – 10:30pm to go to sleep and 6:30 am, slowly working toward 6…

The quote is from the kindred spirit, Anne Shirley 🙂

Lauren,
      So smart. I love that you’re so proactive that you set two alarms. Going to bed on time is such a huge part of getting up on time.

What a great word for the year, and way to go on actually living it out!

• Avatar Mrs Livingston says:

I do not have small children. In fact, I have an adult son with challenges. Receiving the blog post How 15 minutes can transform your life has inspired me to recommit to a Focus 15 study. Thank you.

• […] How 15 Minutes Can Transform Your Motherhood (and your life):  Inspired to Action […]

• Avatar Martha Moger says:

Thanks so much for these words! They resonate with me so much, especially the ‘God. Plan. Move.’ Sometimes I procrastinate too much as I feel overwhelmed at how much there is to do at home with small kids. But this reminds me to get into God’s word, no matter if it’s one verse, then pray and go for the day! Thank you x

• […] How 15 Minutes Can Transform Your Motherhood (and your life) @ Inspired to Action […]

• Avatar Kelly says:

I found your post via twitter. For the last 3 days, I’ve seen your #hellomornings tweet, and it has lead me to your blog. I have been inspired and encouraged by your tweets. Thank you for this post – God. Plan. Move. Very simple, yet a practical way to face the day. I pray that I can wake each day, not with dread about what is head.. but, looking forward to the amazing things God has for me & simply seeking Him to lead me and my little crew. Thank your for the encouragement!