ITA #18 – Beauty from Ashes – An Incredible Interview with Amanda Carroll

By October 30, 2013Podcast

This is the most powerful episode of the podcast that I’ve ever shared with you. If you’ve never listened to the Inspired To Action podcast, listen to this one. Amanda’s story, wisdom and bravery will challenge and change your perspective, especially on your marriage.

klove-amandaStop reading this, grab some headphones and listen.

I’ll wait…

Ok. Got the headphones? Great.

Amanda Carroll is the afternoon DJ on KLOVE radio. We worked together many years ago before either of us had kids and thanks to Facebook we’ve stayed in touch. I’ve watched the dramatic turns her life has taken over the last few years and I have been SO inspired by her bravery, strength and deep love for God and her children.

You will be too.

Links Mentioned in this Episode

AmandaCarroll.org
Klove
Amanda on Twitter
Amanda on Facebook

Also? I CAN’T BELIEVE I forgot to ask Amanda about her interview with Amy Grant. (Ahem…I may have been a completely ridiculous Amy Grant fan when I was younger.) I listened to it last night and there is some seriously good wisdom in there. Click here to listen.

And You MUST Listen to This…
Speaking of music. Last week I got an email from a girl named Jen Stanbro, a mom and teacher. She said she wrote a song inspired by and written during the HelloMornings Challenge.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much when I hit play, but…I have never been so wrong. Her voice…wow. This song has been on repeat in my house ever since. If Norah Jones, Cobie Caillat and Kari Jobe had a music baby, it would sing like Jen Stanbro.

Ok. That was weird. Just listen. So good.

Learn more about Jen here or you can get Jen’s whole album here on iTunes. It’s so good (oh, and Shane and Shane make guest appearances one it!)

How to Listen to This Podcast

If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.

1. Listen right here on the blog. Click through to the site and click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one in the app store, but I like one called Downcast. It allows me to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – just click here to access the podcast in iTunes. You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.

Comments

• Dasha says:

Just. What. I. Needed. WOW! God is good, he knows how to snap me back to reality of gratitude appreciation. I have a wonderful husband, and I can’t wait for him to walk through our front door tonight to let him know just what he means to me.

• Sarah M says:

Is there like a National Marriage Day or something? Because Kat, you can re-post this EVERY year on that day. I’m a child of divorce/adultery, and honestly, I had a very sweet childhood with my mother. I would have had a horrible one if my parents stayed together. (I don’t say that lightly.)
    Amanda, what an incredible testimony to God’s gifts to His own, and a testimony of your faithfulness in God and His goodness. You have blessed us by sharing your heart and I do have those ‘cup of waters’ that I am convicted to change, and to bless, instead of curse. Thank you for your perspective, and I pray that He would continue to use you for His good purposes, and He would bless your life abundantly with every next chapter.
    Sarah M

• Brittany says:

My parents divorced, and I can say the same thing – if my parents had never divorced, my little brother and sister never would have been born, and I CANNOT even fathom life without those two! I know divorce is a terrible thing, and I hope to never be divorced myself, but I do know God can make the best things come from the worst things – I hope the same happens for Amanda someday (soon!!!)

• Judy Davis says:

Oh my gosh! I found your link when I was looking for something on Andy Andrews. I have since subscribed to your podcasts! I love them! As a divorced mom myself this podcast with Amanda hit home. I understood exactly where she was coming from. Your right every situation is different but the pain is the same. Since my divorce in 2008 I have completed my bachelor’s degree and will be returning for my masters along the way I fell head over heels in love with Christ and letting him lead me until he sees fit to bring a Godly husband. Thank you for all that you do!
    God bless you!

• Kat says:

Judy,
      I’m so glad Amanda’s story connected with you. I love when God brings us just what we need, when we need it.

And way to go on the Bachelor’s degree!

• Pamela says:

Wow, good stuff here. Amanda, I’m sorry for the pain you’ve been through, but I’m grateful that you are sharing your story. I so needed to hear your thoughts about changing our perspectives about the little annoying things. I hope you find a hot crossfitter who loves Jesus, you and your kids!
    And KAT! Your work is seriously impacting my life in great ways. Keep at it girl.

• Kat says:

Pamela,
      Thanks for the encouragement! It really means so much to know that all my typing and recording and editing is impacting others.

• Sarah Morris says:

Amanda,
    I sit here with tears in my eyes listening to this podcast! I understand!!!
    I understand the pain you have gone through. My marriage of over 20 years ended because of an affair on his part. My ex-husband did end up leaving and my first step was church and then I too ran to counseling. I too went initially thinking it would save our marriage and in the end it saved me (or rather it was a tool God used to save me) I am blessed with 4 incredible daughters!!! My oldest daughter was a young adult, my 2nd daughter was a senior in high school and my youngest two were about to turn 10 when their father and I separated.
    I agree completely with your advice to other women out there who still have that someone standing next to them.
    To other women who are out there who are struggling right now with this same pain I say to you hold on, trust God and cry all you need to!!
    I am still a work in progress but I am far stronger than I ever imagined I could be.

• Kat says:

Sarah,
      I’m so truly sorry for all that you and your kids have been through. I honestly can’t imagine how painful it must be. It says so much about you, though, that it didn’t break you, but made you stronger. Thanks for sharing your story and wisdom. I’m glad Amanda’s words resonated with you.

• Pamela says:

Hey Kat! We sang this song in church this weekend and I thought you might like it. It’s so happy and upbeat, but so strong lyrically too. It kinda reminds me of ole school worship in the best way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5lHNPoXgI

• Kat says:

Pamela,
      Ok. That sent me on a serious Civil Wars video binge. They’re one of (or were one of…) my favorite bands. Amazing.

• I listened this morning and cried. I have felt so alone and pitied as a single mom and it was so timely to hear Amanda’s story about how she makes it every day. It’s devastating when the family you thought you had falls apart. But I believe that somethings have to fall apart so that something even better comes together. Thank you, Amanda for sharing your story!

• Kelly says:

Thank you so much for posting this podcast. Truly inspiring and motivating.

• Rebecca says:

You’ve rocked my world twice this week – with your artofsimple.com post today (I’m also an ENFP and could completely relate to all of what you said) and with this interview with Amanda Carroll, which I listened to the day after my husband left for 3 weeks in the US (we live in Nicaragua). I needed to hear Amanda’s sage advice – especially about demonstrated gratitude for your spouse – and your’s about sticking to the mission, not the competing demands, interesting looking projects to start, or any other shiny thing.
    Thanks for being faithful.

• Joyce says:

Great interview, Amanda! Thank you so much for the encouragement. Kat will have to visit us both when she’s in California again. :p And if Kat hasn’t told you lately…Amanda, you are a mom, you are a big deal.

• Alexa says:

Wow! I didn’t expect to be so affected by that when I started listening. I did need to get a Kleenex in the middle. What a different perspective she offers. I hope to start implementing some changes around my house based on her advice.

• Rebecca says:

Wow! I totally cried! Amanda, thank you for being so honest. I didn’t think I would ever be able to cope if my husband left, you have inspired me. I could pick myself up and keep going and look to a positive cuter. Your story touched me so much! Thank you!!!

• […] I listened to a powerful podcast with Kat Lee (author of the Inspired to Action website) and Amanda Carroll (who is a DJ at KLOVE […]