A Monday Pep Talk For Imperfect Moms

By September 30, 2013General, Get Inspired

the-world-to-one-person

Sometimes…

Sometimes…I don’t feel like writing.

Sometimes…I don’t feel like being patient with my kids.

Sometimes…I don’t feel like cooking dinner.

Sometimes…I don’t feel like cleaning up the same things I did yesterday.

Sometimes…I don’t feel like serving and giving…again.

theodore-roosevelt-name-worth-remembering

Sometimes…feelings are overrated.

I may not feel like being patient, but I want my children to know they are loved, so I choose patience anyway.

I may not feel like cooking, but I want a healthy family, so I choose to plan and prepare meals anyway.

I may not feel like running, but I want to be strong and full of energy, so I choose to run anyway.

But the reality is…a lot of times I don’t choose it. I let my emotions win. I go with what I feel and I blow up at my kids. I get take out for the 3rd day in a row. I skip my workout, again. I let the dishes “soak” in the sink one more night.

I get lazy and I mess up.

henry-thoreau-regret

But regret is a worthless mirage. Regret tells me to stay down and give up. Regret says it’s hopeless.

Grace treats us like we already are what we fear we’ll never become. – Beth Moore

So, I get back up. I try again. I keep fighting and keep running and keep holding my tongue and keep choosing patience and keep cooking my “subpar, but they don’t seem to mind” meals.

If you face things this week that you don’t feel like facing….if you want to do the right thing but have failed and fallen…

Get back up. Dust yourself off.

The very best is yet to come.***

Today is Monday. It’s a blank canvas. Love your kids and make a beautiful, messy masterpiece.

{Fistbump}

***(This is a paraphrase from Andy Andrews interview from last week. Go listen for his much more eloquent version.)

Comments

• Avatar Tara says:

As I sit here dwelling on what I did so wrong this morning as a mom…this post encourages me. I sometimes fear my daily failures define me (and scar my kids!) – but that’s not who I am, it’s just how I let myself act sometimes….working on it!

Tara,
      As much as they try, our failures do not define us. They may be part of our story, but the ending is entirely up to us and each choice we make from here on out. *fistbump*

I needed that after a crazy 2 weeks….We got this! *fistbump* back at ya!

Not sure why that posted twice…I guess I really….really meant it. 🙂

• Avatar Tamara says:

“Regret is wrong. It is incapable of redeeming anything broken. Only Grace has the power to do that.” I love that!

I also loved this from the podcast: “You’re not done until your dead and if you’re reading this you’re very much alive. And if you’re alive you haven’t done what you were made to do. And if you haven’t done what you were made to do, you have not fulfilled the very purpose for which you were created. And if you have not fulfilled the purpose for which you were created, the very best is yet to come. The very best is yet to come.***”

I have a couple of very special people in my life who need to hear these bits of wisdom. I look forward to encouraging them the way I’ve been encouraged!

• Avatar Julie says:

Thank you for this! So encouraging, as always.

• Avatar Brittany says:

I’m not a mom (at least not yet) but I might just print this whole post out and staple it to my wall because I need it that badly. I’ve made too many mistakes in my life (mostly with boys, because I’m young and stupid like that) and too often I spend my time wishing I hadn’t talked to him or I had said this unistead of that or I was more assertive or less assertive. But I know God makes all things new, redeems what is broken and creates good from evil and folly – not even my too many mistakes are enough to stop Him.

• Avatar Christina says:

You encouraged me! Thank you!

• Avatar Tracy says:

Kat,

I read your blogs on a regular basis, but never comment. This one really spoke to me. Thanks for being such a source of inspiration.

• […] A Monday Pep Talk For Imperfect Moms | Inspired to Action […]

• Avatar Chenoa says:

Kat,

I’ve read your blog off and on for a couple of years now, and am thankful for the encouragement you give others through your writing. I especially enjoyed this particular post and hope it would be okay to mention it/link back to it on my blog?

Please let me know.