The Gospel of Motherhood

By July 22, 2013Get Inspired

lee-family2013

Do this. Don’t do that. Do this. Don’t do that. I failed. I failed again. Get back up. Try again. Failed. Condemnation. Discouragement.

Why is it that, as moms, we often live like the Gospel doesn’t apply to us?

The beautiful thing about the Gospel is that Jesus freed us from perfection. He died so that we can live.

So why do we live as if we need to achieve perfection…that anything less is unacceptable?

We are ruled by the rules, but we don’t even know which rule to follow. Discipline methods. Health and nutritional rules. Screen time, no screen time or how much screen time? Read this much each day. Play outside. Stay away from the sun. Sunscreen or no sunscreen?

Maybe it’s just me, but I can get so bent. out. of shape. trying to do my best. All the rules fistfight in my head until it hurts.

But the rules are not to rule us – Jesus is, and His word for us is Grace.

The goal of our faith is…relationship.

The goal of our mothering is…relationship.

Ultimately, the goal of our lives is to bring glory to God and others to Him, and the best way to do that? Relationship.

Can I challenge us today, as moms, to let go of the small rules that stress us out? Give yourself a break. Give your children a break. Savor life alongside them. Enjoy them.

May we teach them to follow Jesus more faithfully than any rule.

Comments

• Avatar Beth says:

This is a summation of my life right now with the focus finally in place. Thank you. For months I’ve known I would name my blog http://www.freeftomperfection.com. But even still I’ve struggled to get the message across through my writing. Thank you so much for another simple truth.

• Avatar Rose says:

oh no! I think your link is http://www.freefromperfection.com right? 🙂 It took me a moment to understand what it was saying lol. anyway I think most moms struggle with perfection. I also am starting a blog/newsletter but I don’t have my link up yet – I’m writing. I just want to address all of the moms in a more direction gospel way than most Christian blogs do. We need it, we aren’t here to be entertained but to do the work and be equipped to do so.

• Avatar Amy H. says:

I needed this!!! God is so good and faithful! During praying with Him this morning, I was just upset. I seem to have good intentions…eating healthy, kids reading, so forth. I start to feel overwhelmed by it all. How much device time should the kids have or am I being too strict??!!! I want my children to have good memories with cooking, not that I was too strict. I prayed this morning for Him to help me find a balance. I am spinning and spinning and I WANT OFF this ride! 🙂 Thank you for writing this, for being obedient to what God has laid on your heart. It has blessed me and reminds me He does hear my cries in helping me mother my precious children!

• Avatar Allison says:

This made me cry as I read this. I went to bed feeling like I failed yesterday and woke up feeling it. Why? Because by the stupid society rules I have to do this and this and this….when all we need is Jesus. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this reminder.

• Avatar Charissa says:

Reading this was a big huge breath of fresh air…Thank you for this little powerful post today. All i can say is yes and amen!

• Avatar Marcy says:

Found you through an IG friend and i am so glad i did. This is brilliant. I just shook my head in agreement the whole time i read. Perfectly said. Thank you.

• […] encouraging word from Kat for […]

• Avatar Melissa says:

Kat, I am merely echoing the comments of the other women here, but could not go another minute without letting you know how needed this post was for me. Thanks be to God for His truth flowing through you… so timely and so necessary! Thank you for your faithfulness toward God and your loving compassion for your sisters in Christ!

• Avatar Amy says:

Needed this today — thank you!

• Avatar Cheri says:

Thank you, Kat!! This struck a chord. I’ve been so tired of the dont’s associated with motherhood. It seems everywhere I look there’s don’t do this- don’t let your kids do that. It’s such negative parenting. Thank you for vocalizing what I’ve been feeling so much lately.

• Avatar Rebecca says:

SO need to hear this today … thank you!!

• This is great truth, Kat, Thank you for sharing. I get so wound up with the “do this, don’t do this” that guilt starts to creep in when it shouldn’t. Good reminder.

• […] The Gospel of Motherhood @ Inspired to Action […]

• Avatar Jackie says:

Love this! I have sometimes gotten so hung up on perfection and making sure I do everything right that I miss out on the joys of my imperfect, totally awesome family. Thanks for sharing your heart.

• […] the right rules as a parent? What are the rules anyway? Parenting, as well as our faith, is really all about relationships. (via Inspired to […]

• Avatar Sarah says:

Dear Mom in the Lord,
    I am in tears at work. My 15 yr old and I are going through a rough patch.
    This IS so True! and I really, really needed to hear that!!
    R-E-L-A-T-I-O-N-S-H-I-P (s)
    So Powerful, Amen.
    Thank You Lord.

• […] of your imperfectly perfect family? If that sounds like you then I encourage you to read The Gospel of Motherhood. (via Inspired to […]