I Don’t Know What This Says About Me But…

By June 20, 2013General

20130621-073343.jpg
I really wanted to come up with some filler. I scoured the internet for something to balance things out, something that would say, “Hey! She’s not whacked!” But since I already told you to check out the Compassion Nicaragua posts…I got nothing left.

So as I sit here listening to Ann Voskamp’s website because I have 15,916 tabs open on my browser and I can’t find hers, I’m owning up to the fact that I have two favorite posts from this week and they couldn’t be more polar opposite. Like, comically opposite.

20130621-073357.jpg

A Holy Experience – A Letter to the North American Church: Because it is Time
Don’t be deterred by the serious sounding title. You’ll love reading it. It is an absolutely fabulous read and if you read anything at all today, please read this. It’s beautiful and inspiring. Well, it’s Ann…so obviously.

Jen Hatmaker – Surviving Summer
When I share this post, I’m assuming you’ve read her Worst End of School Year Mom post, which I believe to be a great work of American Literature (and went so viral she was invited on Good Morning America). How do you follow up brilliance like that? More brilliance…as in…my cheeks hurt from laughing brilliance.

Anyone else love Ann and Jen as much as I do? Discuss. When I grow up, I want to write like they do. Enjoy these reads, and have an absolutely amazing weekend, my friends.

Comments

• Avatar Heather says:

Thank you so much for sharing the link to Ann’s article. I had read Jen’s article and loved it (of course), but had not read Ann’s. I just got back from a mission trip and this spoke to my soul. I needed to read it today and know that there are others out there who feel like I do.

Heather,
      I can only imagine how much more powerful Ann’s words are to someone just returning from a mission trip. I’m honored I was able to connect you to them.

• Avatar Lara says:

That post by Jen. Hi.lar.i.ous.

• Avatar Krista W. says:

Thank you, Kat, for both of these. A little laughter and then a LOT of tears. Just this morning I was thinking, “I want to do more – MEAN something in this world – make a difference. Our life is so comfortable, but most others’ lives are not at all comfortable.” I am a wife and mother. I KNOW that means something already. A lot. I’m not denigrating that at all. But, we live comfortably. We have everything we need, and a very great deal of what we want. I don’t want to live blithely forgetting such a large part of the world, and teaching my children to do the same. Esther is one of my very favorite stories in the Bible, and the verse Ann uses in her blog on an Esther generation is one of my favorite verses. I had not thought about my being born in the United States as being equivalent to Esther’s living inside the palace gates while her people were near to being slaughtered outside. I think this will be the year we begin to sponsor a Compassion child. I want my kids to grow up with this awareness and a sense of the responsibility they have being born where they have been. Thanks for introducing me to both bloggers!

• Avatar lindley says:

Ohhh yes! I posted Ann’s post on fb and pinterest yesterday (kinda big deal for me). So loved it! She’s just right on–all.the.time! And, laughed out loud at Jen’s post a couple weeks back too! Love that you appreciated both of the posts as well! Maybe it’s our Baylor bond? Or maybe not–since others completely agree too! 🙂

• Great pic this week, Kat! Hope ya’ll have a great weekend!

• Avatar Kacey says:

No need to add more filler when you’re sharing those hilarious posts from Jen.

• Avatar Jenni says:

Thanks Kat…and thanks to Krista too for her heartfelt reminder that we are all put on earth to make a difference!