How To Find What You’re Looking For…

By June 3, 2013General

boy-searching-binoculars

Any of my children: “Mommy?! Help me! I can’t find my shoes!”

Me: “Have you looked for them, yet?”

Child: “….no.”

I’ve had this conversation with each of my kids at least once and I’ve had it…ahem…multiple times with a certain child.

Have your kids ever done this? Asked you to help them find something they haven’t even looked for yet?

Maybe it’s my independent nature, but I find it so maddening, especially because a simple rotation of their head will usually reveal that their shoes are in that very room. Or perhaps already on their feet.

Sigh.

But how often do we do the very same thing?

We find what we are looking for, don’t we?

When we look for injustice, we find it. When we look for nothing, we find it. When we look for joy, we find it. When we look for kindness, we find it. When we look for something to be upset about, we find it. When we look for something to be thankful for, we find it.

When we look for a “better” home, we find it…and we get the added bonus of discontentment.

But when we look for great things about our own home, we find them…and we get the added bonus of contentment.

When we look for disappointments in our spouse, we find them…and our marriage begins to erode.

But when we look for strengths in our spouse, we find them…and our love blooms.

When we look for women who do things better than us, we find them….and insecurity breeds.

But when we look for gifts that God has given to us, we find them…and our hope in who He has made us to be grows.

Very often, nothing needs to change for us to find the very things that we are looking for, we just need to look.

What will you choose to look for today? Tell us today in the comments!

Comments

• Oh that is sooo true!

• Avatar J S says:

My favorite quote (author unknown) is exactly what you wrote:
    “What you see depends mainly on what you look for!”

• Avatar Danielle says:

Timely post… I’m looking for my calendar/planner. Taking the fact that I misplaced (hopefully not LOST!) it as a sign I need to slow down and look for some opportunities to rest & relax today.

• Thanks for the great post. I have really been trying to focus on gratitude expecially when my thoughts turn to discontentment. It’s funny how that one negative thing really doesn’t seem so negative anymore when you replace them with positive thoughts about your husband, kids, home, or whatever your thinking about.

Isn’t it amazing how powerful gratitude is? Have you read Ann Voskamp’s book One Thousand Gifts? It’s a definite must read.

• I tried to read her book, twice actually. I know it is more of a personal preference, but I just couldn’t get past the prose style of writing. I wanted to really love the book because I had heard so many good review on it. I am currently reading Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

• Avatar Chandra says:

More beauty in the everyday.

• Avatar Anita says:

This post was just what I needed to hear! Thank you!

• I really enjoyed & needed this post. Thank you!

• Avatar kayeherbert says:

so true, thank you!

it doesnt take a whole lot of searching to see that ive stil got quite the belly on me after having my 2nd child in 3 years. i can choose to focus on that and let it get me down. or like today, i can ask my husband to pray over me in the midst of my discouragement, thank God for my 2 healthy little ones and for all the beauty He put in me, and then make a reasonable plan to take action to get my body in shape!

your inspirational emails really bless me to return to the right perspective, as i am ‘prone to wander.’ 🙂 thanks!

• Avatar Lindsay says:

It’s absolutely true! Thank you for that reminder. We will always find reasonsto validate our feelings if we’re looking for them, and that’s not always a positive thing.

• Avatar Alyssa says:

I have this conversation with my son every day. AHHHH!

• […] Kat’s post on how to find what you’re looking for was really good to […]