3 Links To Inspire Your Weekend

By May 24, 2013General

20130524-061906.jpg

Can You Help?

Every summer we head out on a somewhat massive road trip. This year’s trip will include 14 states, 56 hours in the car and a ridiculous number of audiobooks to pass the time (I got this one for the trip and this series is our absolute favorite).

Unfortunately, it seems that 3/5 of the Lee family is somewhat prone to car sickness. Not good considering a good portion of our trip will go through the Smokey Mountains.

I know Dramamine will work if it gets really bad but I kind of want us to be awake and conscious for our vacation…do you have any motion sickness remedies you can recommend?

Speaking of recommendations…

Here are a few of my favorite reads lately:

12 things your daughter needs you to say – Emily from Chatting at they Sky hits a home run with this post.

Around the World – I’m incredibly excited for my friend Tsh and this new adventure of hers!

You Are The Brave Ones – A challenge for you, perhaps?

Anyone else (or your kids) prone to car sickness? Click here to share those remedies….. Thank you!

Comments

• Avatar Crystal says:

Thank you so much for sharing my (in)courage post πŸ™‚ Praying safe travels, happy kiddos, and no motion sickness over your trip!

• Avatar Bronda says:

I suffer from motion sickness, and have found a few things that work well for me. First of all, crystalized ginger (found in the spice aisle). I eat a couple of pieces at the beginning of the trip, and any time I’m starting to feel queasy. Ginger is pretty strong, though, and sort of an acquired taste. Another thing that works is acupressure. My sister loves the “sea bands” that are soft elastic bands with a small bead on the inside. You wear them on your wrists with the bead on the inside of the wrist, about three fingers up from the crease where your palm meets your arm. You can also just use the pressure of your thumb in the same area. Another acupressure point that is helpful is about three fingers below the kneecap, sliding to the outside of the leg until you feel the slight indentation. Press there for a few seconds, let go, and repeat. I use the acupressure for motion sickness and morning sickness both, and it works for me! Hope this helps, and your family has a great trip!!

Bronda,
      Oh, those are great tips. Thanks!

• Avatar Nicole S says:

the Preggie Pops they make for morning sickness might be a good option, since they contain ginger but probably taste better than ginger crystals, etc. I haven’t tried them since I was very fortunate not to have morning sickness (thank you Jesus!)

I hadn’t thought about that. Great idea! Although, I might have to rename them before I give them to my kids. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Amy says:

When I was pregnant, I would make some gingersnaps. They seemed to help (and I enjoyed them)! My mom uses the motion sickness bracelets. (I just saw them mentioned in the comment above.) She used to get sick just looking at the map, but now she reads full books while in the car.
    I hope you find something. Let me know; I’m starting to get pretty sick lately, too!

Amy,
      That’s so encouraging to read about your mom. I’ll have to get some gingersnaps. I think the kids would love those!

• Avatar Leigh says:

The seabands work for my 3yo daughter – she loves her “special bracelets”. Also, I just saw today at Rite Aid that Hylands makes motion sickness tablets. They are homeopathic and worth a try. I have loved their teething tablets, earache tablets and colic tablets with my three kiddos. Good luck!

• Avatar Jill says:

We also use Sea Bands. I’ve struggled with motion sickness since I was a child and these work!

Leigh and Jill,
        I did buy some of those Sea Bands. I’m excited to hear they work so well!

• Avatar Jill says:

Great! I hope they work good for you too. I think they work best if you start wearing them BEFORE you feel sick, but they still seem to help even if you’re already not feeling well.

• Avatar Deidra says:

Ginger has always worked for me. You can buy it in capsule form in the vitamin aisle. Good luck – sounds like a great adventure!

Deidra,
      Oh, I didn’t know about capsule form…good to know. The crystallized ginger is a bit strong for my kiddos.

• Avatar julie says:

I suffered with motion sickness as a kid & still do as an adult, so honestly, i would highly recommend the Dramamine. There’s nothing worse than becoming horribly sick when you’re on vacation & trying to just enjoy yourself. One thing i’ve learned as an adult though is to take your Dramamine or Bonine at bedtime, then you sleep off some of the grogginess.

• Avatar christi says:

Peppermint!! The candy helps but also, get Peppermint essential oil and apply it to the belly button. It needs to be diluted, so goigle to get the right proportions.

• Avatar Jane says:

My oldest had car sickness issues. We used the bands with great success.

Another idea for you with audiobooks is The Sugar Creek Gang (it is kinda like Little House – but is a group of boys who all live out in country & their adventures). I have 2 boys & 1 girl & she enjoys it as well. The piece I really – the stories talk about living out your Christian faith. The narrator is also fabulous! You can get the first story (2 CDs) for free – just pay $5 shipping @ Beloved Books

Jane,
      Oh, that sounds great!! I know my son would really enjoy a series about boys (as opposed to the Little House Series). Thanks!

• Ginger and lemon (not together but I love those lemon drops) work great for nausea. My daughter’s carsickness was identified by her vision therapist as inner ear blockage, so doing two calisthenics worked: face the sky, face the ground arms up, arms down. Then twist like a windmill as you face the sky, twist the other way as you look down, read how many fingers when you finish. Both exercises she collapsed first time, but now no more carsickness (just no reading in car.) I have found my own carsickness relates to how full I am, so no eating to fill the belly on a road trip, just to comfort zone, which is what I should be doing every day anyway.
    Librivox has great books from public domain if you can stream while you go. We just loved Understood Betsey.
    Have fun, Kat! Drop in if you come to Santa Barbara, Ca.

• Avatar Lea says:

Bonine is what I use. I have always gotten motion sick and this is the only thing that doesn’t wipe me out. It’s easy to does for kids and is chewable. Works quick but I try to take it an hr before I leave.

Lea,
      I’ve heard of Bonine, but haven’t tried it. I definitely need something that won’t make me sleepy!

• Avatar Taylor says:

My little girl always gets carsick. We started giving her 1/2 a tablet Dramamine (in Nutella before she could swallow a pill!) and it worked fine. She doesn’t get too sleepy on the road, but it’s always okay if she wants to take a little nap and get some rest!

Taylor,
      Good to know. I wasn’t sure if my kids could have Dramamine or not. I’ll have to check with my doc for dosage. I know it works really well for me.

• Avatar Anjanette says:

I’ve always used bonine and think it works great! Non drowsy and just a little chewable pill.

• Avatar Leslie says:

I tend to get motion sick pretty quickly (car,s planes, boats, you name it!) I had to fly from Chicago to Seattle when I was pregnant and didn’t really want to take Dramamine. I somewhat skeptically purchased pressure point wristbands for the flight. Much to my surprise, they worked wonderfully. My poor hubby who claims to never get motion sick spent half the flight in the bathroom tho : )

• First of all, I would like to thank you for all of your wonderful posts. Your messages are very inspiring to me as a wife and mother.

In our family, we use Young Living essential oils for our first aid needs. God has used them to transform our lives. I would love to send you some free samples if you are interested. I believe that they may be very helpful to your family.

If you would like to learn more or would like added to my essential oil e-mail list, please e-mail me. I would love to bless you.

• Avatar valerie says:

My daughter gets car sick, and we use Hyland’s homeopathic motion sickness tablets for her. They are dissolving tablets, which makes them convenient for using on the go (especially for little ones who can’t swallow a pill yet), and they work really well for her. We buy them at the health food store.

• My kid doesn’t get carsick but I do! I’ve used those bracelets that put pressure on the inside of your wrist and that seemed to work well. Ginger candy helps if the symptoms are mild. Good luck! The trip sounds amazing!

• I am extremely motion sickness in car, plane, etc… and I take 1/2 of a non-drowsy dramamine. And it works for about 4 hours! I also chew on ginger chews – you can get them at the health food store – LOVE THESE! Together they enable me to ride long distances, around mountains, ride roller coasters, and endure plane turbulence!

• Avatar Crystal says:

Hi Kat, we are also gearing up for a cross country trip at the end of summer. I recently was reacquainted with the following website…lots of good listening material on here, all from many years ago from vinyl! My kids LOVE these stories! Oh, and it’s all FREE!!!

• Avatar Krista says:

Just yesterday, I found “Less Drowsy Dramamine” at the drug store. Gum chewing always helps us too. Good luck and safe travels.

• Avatar Kris says:

I love cross country road trips! My kids and I tend to get car sick as well. A couple things that we have found…keep a full belly, and stay hydrated. I can tell that when I start to get hungry in the car, the queasiness sets in. For long road trips, I start with a big zip lock for each kid, and fill with snacks, I tell them that they have all the snacks they are going to get, and it is up to them to ration it out for themselves (my kids are older, so they can do this well). That makes it easier for me as well. Dramamine used to make chewable tablets and I did use them with the kids, especially when I knew it was just hours of driving…sometimes tired kids are good in the car! As far as keeping the kids busy, I made each kid a binder full of activities I found on line, like coloring pages, travel games, mazes, etc. and included some journal pages. Then a new pack of colored pencils for each (crayons melt, markers stain) and they were thrilled. When they completed an activity, they got a little treat when we stopped for gas.

• Avatar Colleen says:

Hi Kat,
    I have one daughter that gets motion sickness sporadically. We always carry a “throw-up bucket” in the car just in case. Anyhow, I tried Hyland’s Homeopathic Motion Sickness pills and they worked! The bottle says “Natural relief for nausea and dizziness due to motion sickness, car sickness or sea sickness.” My dd usually would say “My stomach hurts” and then throw up within 15 minutes. Now, as soon as she speaks up, she takes 1-2 of these and she doesn’t get sick! Yea! Don’t know if if would work for your kids or not, but for less than $10 at the health food store and no side effects, it might be worth a try!

Colleen in MI