Motherhood: Now Only Requiring 70% Awesomeness

By April 5, 2013General

20130405-085313.jpg

I turned my alarm off at 5:30 and rolled over. “Meh…I’ll just sleep in this morning.” I’ll workout later (aka never).

She woke up at 5:30, got dressed and came to ask me if we could go running together. It was 37 degrees outside, which to a Texan is approximately 876 degrees below zero.

Yesterday, these two did the same thing. It was drizzling.

20130405-085328.jpg

What do you say to children who get up early, dress themselves in adorably mismatching not-quite-running clothes, just because they want to spend some special time with you?

It’s cold. You don’t feel like running.

You say yes.

There is a beauty to investing in our children when they are young. Soon enough, they become the iron that sharpens us.

I wasn’t a great, energetic, inspiring mom this week. I didn’t wake them up early to read the Bible or go running.

They did.

Be encouraged, weary friend, that you don’t need to be awesome all the time. God’s grace fills in the gaps. There is an ebb and flow to motherhood and before you know it your children will be the ones pushing you along in this race called life. They will be the ones challenging you and calling you higher.

That is the secret joy of motherhood.

Are you in a hard season of investing or a sweet one of reaping? Take time today to encourage another mom. Click here to share your thoughts!

Comments

• Avatar Courtney says:

This is awesome – the reassurance that we don’t have to be perfect all the time. That God can fill in the gaps and we can rely on the hard work we’ve been doing. Thanks for this good bit of encouragement!

• Avatar Jess Hymus-Gant says:

Really appreciated this post. Have been feeling distinctly like I amb operating in the 30% not so awesome category this week. Good to know that He carries us and that it is OK to not be perfect. Phew. His grace is sufficient for me, according to his riches in glory. That verse came to me in the middle of the broken night’s sleep I had the other night (and most nights this week). He is more than enough for me. Thanks for your encouragement.

• Avatar Jess Hymus-Gant says:

Really appreciated this post. Have been feeling distinctly like I amb operating in the 30% not so awesome category this week. Good to know that He carries us and that it is OK to not be perfect. Phew. His grace is sufficient for me, according to his riches in glory. That verse came to me in the middle of the broken night’s sleep I had the other night (and most nights this week). He is more than enough for me. Thanks for your encouragement today, I needed it!

• Avatar Michelle says:

Thanks for the reminder! I heard an illustration that I want to share with you and your readers along these same thoughts. A woman leading a woman’s Bible study for a big group of ladies asked for those who were not raised in a Christian home to raise their hands. She asked everyone to look around. Then she asked the question: Do YOU have to be a perfect parent in order for your children to grow up and follow the Lord? Of course the answer is all around us – most of us did not have parents who were perfect, and as much as we want to give our children “everything we didn’t have” or everything that would make for heaven-on-earth… we simply cannot. Many of the children who have everything done for them grow up not knowing how to do it themselves. Keep up the good work!

• Avatar Jessika says:

What a great post! I love your sense of humor in the title. It lifts my heart even as I can totally relate to the topic. Thank you for the encouragement to invest in our kids-to say yes when we aren’t feeling it-because the payoff is a closer relationship, memories made and hearts filled which inspires us to say yes again and again and maybe even to be the one to wake up full of great plans the next day.

• Avatar Karen H. says:

Your children are precious! They must love spending time with you to get up so early and run in the chilly temperatures – very sweet!

• Avatar Rosanna says:

So beautiful! I ‘m not sure I could give up my morning run time like that, after all, I live on the Canadian Praires and it’s still too cold to even think about that yet. My exercise consists of workout dvd’s these days. That being said, this is very awesome post. I worked hard to train our children to stay in bed until 7:30 from young, so even when they are awake they don’t get up until then. Hmm…makes me wonder if all that is that important. Thank goodness for God’s grace and mercy, even when we aren’t awesome. 🙂

• Avatar Tina says:

I say that’s you’re one very fortunate mom. How wonderful that they enjoy spending the time with you. How I miss those days when my kids were that age.

My kids are the sleeping in kind, so I’m not even sure I want to know what would happen if one of them woke me up at 5:30am, especially to go running, they’re also not of the running/sporty kind (yet). I’ll let you know if it happens one day…might be kinda fun. 🙂

• Avatar April Maura says:

Motherhood is definitely a mission field.

• Avatar Vincent says:

Hi Kat,
    Thanks so much for this post! I’m a stay-at-home dad of a 3 yr old and 3 month old, and in the midst of a lot of ‘investing’ in the kids. It was so helpful to be reminded of the rewards of parenting, and how they’ll be the iron sharpening me soon. I’ve been subscribed to the blog for a few weeks now, and have been loving it. Whenever you say ‘motherhood,’ I just imagine it says ‘parenthood’ or ‘fatherhood.’