Mother Like a Farmer

By April 29, 2013Get Inspired

mother-like-a-farmer.jpg

I’m going to tell you about something I’ve never seen, but first let me tell you a little bit about farming.

Yep…farming.

You see, I once lived in a cul de sac neighborhood that backed up to an orange orchard. I was in the 3rd grade. We lived there for 2 years.

I’m pretty much a farming expert. Obviously.

Did you know farmers have seasons? There is the planting season, the growing season (clearly my farming expertise is shining through. Probably not the technical name for it, but it’s the season when they water and weed and watch) and the harvest season.

You know what I’ve never seen?

I’ve never seen a farmer try to harvest during planting season. When I lived behind that orchard, I never saw the farmer in the field picking orange blossoms off the trees in the Spring.

He could have done everything he knew. He could have worked himself to the bone. But there was no way he was going to harvest oranges in Texas in June.

Farmers know that they cannot do anything outside of the due season for their crop.

Have you thought about what season you are in? Are you trying to harvest when it’s really time to sow?

If you have a newborn, perhaps it’s not the best season to try to start an early morning Bible, exercise and planning routine. Instead focus on something simple like listening to an audio Bible while you play with or feed your baby.

If you have all your kids at home and your husband has to work a lot, perhaps it’s not the best season to start a new online business.

If you’re a new blogger still trying to figure out how it all works, maybe it’s not the best season to write an ebook, start a link up and contribute on 12 different blogs.

Everyone is in a different season.

Not too far from my little cul de sac neighborhood and the orange orchard, there was a sugar cane field. Sometimes they harvested as late as March when the orange trees were bare.

If the orange farmer didn’t know HIS crop and HIS season, he could have wasted time and energy either being jealous of the sugar cane farmer or he could have worked in vain to try to make his crops yield fruit out of season.

Friends, it doesn’t matter what season anyone else is in. It doesn’t matter if they are having the harvest of their lives. Good for them.

We need to know our season. There is such freedom in yielding to God’s timing. If we listen to HIS timing, we won’t run ourselves ragged trying to harvest the wrong things in the wrong season, because it will never work anyway.

Action step: I encourage you to identify your season today. Ask God what you should sow. Ask Him when it is time to harvest. Listen to Him. Trust Him.

Rest…in Him.

What season are you in? Are you sowing, harvesting or somewhere in the middle? Click here to share in the comments.

KidVentures-125p.s. My friend Jen just released a very cool resource for your summer, it’s called Kidventures. It’s an ebook filled with simple, detailed, fun adventures you can plan with your children this summer. You can pick up a copy here, or read more about my thoughts on it here.

Comments

• Amy Corley says:

This is such perfectly timed encouragement, Kat…thank you!

• Victoria says:

This is exactly what I needed to hear/read today. I love getting your messages in my inbox and they are always so applicable for me. Thanks Kat!

• Marlise says:

This is excellent. Especially we as mothers (and women!) need this reminder quite often! Thank you.

• Sidra says:

This really resonated with me today! Even though I am Jewish I’ve really been enjoying your blog.

• Such wisdom- I love how simple life can be, and the sweet freedom we can know if we take the pressure off ourselves to harvest all.the.time….if we slow down to watch and listen to the Lord. We all need wisdom to discern the seasons, and wisdom comes from being in tune with Him. Thank you, Kat, for a timely reminder.

• GinnyLou says:

You are the queen of the metaphor! I have never, ever thought about motherhood this way, but it rings so true! Now, I must be off about planting my little oranges in the bed for naptime ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kimberly says:

just the thing for Today! I am sharing this with everyone I know! Thank you!

• Rhoda says:

Great analogy. Never heard motherhood put in those terms before, but oh, so appropriate. Thank you for sharing a picture I can totally identify with–grew up across the road from an apple orchard, a dairy farm behind us, and we always had a huge garden. With two 9 year olds now in my life, sometimes I want to see things happening that just aren’t there yet. Just need to be a bit more patient as God continues to grow my sweet plantlings. And with my own field that God isn’t done with either! Trusting HE can find a good harvest in me.

• Steph says:

A wise older friend recently walked over on a mission to speak to me something God had put in her heart for me: “There will be a day for doing things that feel “big for God”. Right now, you are going to be big for God in your home. It might not be what you thought was up for now, but later you will look back and see exactly what God has been up to.” And the relief of knowing my season, of having it confirmed, of knowing God cared about my heart’s questioning and sent an undeniable answer – BLESSING. Thanks for being one more confirmation as I make sure I am embracing all that this season holds.

• Kari C. says:

Just posted this to my FB wall and said that I don’t think this just applies to mothering. It’s really good. Thank you.

As for identifying my stage with regards to mothering, guess I’m planting and growing. Pondering what that means for desperately wanting to see results in things that I seem to plant over and over and over. Trying to find balance between extending grace and expecting certain behaviors. Trying to grow myself and remember that much grace is extended to me.

• […] that God has called me to full time motherhood.ย  Here’s the link to the actual blogย  http://inspiredtoaction.com/2013/04/mother-like-a-farmer/.ย  If you aren’t connected with this blog, take a look.ย  Below is the inspiring post from […]

• Thanks so much for your post. I just started a blog and really needed this reminder to go at the Lord’s pace instead of trying to rush into things and getting in over my head.

• Marie says:

Thank you so very much for this post. I needed to hear this today….well, I need to hear it often, actually!

• Tehila says:

Kat, this is an excellent post. There is so much truth to what you are saying. And much freedom to those who heed it. I’m afraid that I have been guilty at times of running ahead with my own plans, when the season has more been to focus on my babes, serve my husband in a time of need, or just live simply. I will store your words in my heart, and apply them when my own ideas and desires sweep me away from that which God has for me…

Thank you for this inspiring post, beloved.

• Sharon says:

I needed this today more than you will ever know! Thank you!

• Renee says:

Love this post!

Since our family is still young I think that I am still sowing ๐Ÿ™‚

• Crystal says:

This is excellent! I’ve just now read Maximize Your Mornings because I was too intimated before. As a single mom, my mornings wouldnt look exactly like yours. But realizing that I take what works for us and what doesn’t is ok! Thanks for all your help and encouragement.

• Kat says:

Hi Crystal!
      “But realizing that I take what works for us and what doesnโ€™t is ok!” Yes and amen, my friend.

• jill says:

this is fresh air to my soul. i’ve got four little ones (including a baby) home all day every day, & i’d started blogging & getting up early. but i’m just. so. tired. this morning, for the first time in too long, i let myself sleep until the littles woke, then chose NOT to feel guilty, not worry about my readership on my blog, but instead to move into the day in His peace, going His pace.
    best. day. ever.
    (thank you for this TRULY apt word, from one farm girl (sunflowers, yahoo!) to another.) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kat says:

Jill,
      I love when God brings the words we need to hear right when we need them. I pray for much rest and restoration for you in this busy season of your life…

A sunflower farm? That must be incredibly gorgeous!

• Laura says:

I’m not a mother, but I love your blogs. I really hear God speaking to me through so many of your posts. As far as seasons, I think I’m in the “prepping the fields” season. Or I maybe in this analogy I’m not even be a farmer yet! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Keep the wisdom coming. Thanks!

• Kat says:

Laura,
      I wish I’d read about motherhood before I was a mom. You might not be a farmer, but it sounds like you’re getting your farming degree and someday you’re going to have an incredible harvest! And yes, I probably dragged that analogy out way too far, but you get my point. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Marcy Holder says:

Fabulous! I needed this tonight. You’ve inspired me (surprise, right?) to do some processing and possibly cut myself a bit more slack in a few areas.

Thanks Kat!!!!!

• Love this, Kat. Stopping to ask God about how to invest my time is something I can forget but don’t want to! It’s so easy to get caught up in what I think I should do vs what He actually thinks is best for me in a particular season. I often take on more than He’d probably have me do.
    Great reminders!

• Kaye says:

Lovely comparison! very applicable & encouraging to me in my life right now as a mama of two boys under 3. In parenting them, I am most definitely in the sowing season with very little reaping, although it is my joy to serve my family. In other areas I feel that I am harvesting more than I deserve & have to try to let myself enjoy it!

• Jen says:

As a farmer’s wife, I love this! I admit I’ve never thought about it like that before. It makes so much sense. I suppose I’m still in the planting season with my 3 under 5.

• Jessica N says:

Oh my goodness, Kat, this is so wonderful. Thank you!

• shae says:

This blog has been my saving grace today! It was what my heart, mind and soul needed to be reminded of today. So often, I fight the season I am in…so thank you! <3

• Lisa says:

I love this analogy. I have a tween stepson and I feel like we are still in the sowing season, trying to teach him and lead by example. I think the harvest comes later in life, don’t you?

• […] This is such a great reminder about embracing the season you are in. There are so many times when I get discouraged because I feel like I should be seeing more of a harvest in my life. But the truth is that this is probably sowing season for me in a lot of areas right now. I just need to be patient and trust that the harvest will come. […]

• Amy says:

I’m so slow on reading my e-mails, but this was the PERFECT time for me to read this. Thanks for the encouragement.

• […] read something that struck me this […]

• […] Mother Like a Farmer (Inspired to Action) […]

• Carol Oakes says:

And again…so timely a message. How we need reminding of these simple truths so often. Attempting to harvest out-of season ……. sounds a ridiculous excercise but is so often what we try to do!! You have added clarity to my ponderings and I thank God for this insight from His Word that you have brought to me this morning. Thank you Kat.

• Debbie says:

You are so right Kat when we do things in season with God, he wins and we win. He is always there to guide us. I always use this when I need to find my season.
    Ask and it shall be given.
    Seek and you shall find
    Knock and the door shall open.

This always leads me to my season.
    Thanks for sharing how parenting is like a farm. Having grown up on a farm myself I sure can identify

• S. Rae says: