His Mama Must Have Ugly Cried Some Happy Tears…

By April 8, 2013General

Fair warning: this video is going to make you cry. They’ll be happy tears, but if you’re at work you might want to put on some sunglasses or wait until your lunch break. Better yet, gather your coworkers for a little Monday inspiration.

(RSS and email readers, click here to watch the video.) (Thanks to Erin for sharing this video.)

There are a few things that captivate me about this story.

First, this didn’t just happen. Jack’s mom and dad made it happen. They took the initiative to contact the University of Nebraska. They took the first step and were proactive on his behalf.

Second, there is power in sharing our suffering. By stepping out there and sharing their story, Jack and his parents have gathered a team around them, literally and figuratively.

Third, there are few things in life as wonderful as the joy of cheering someone else on.

So, how can we build a team around our kids? How can we share our struggles and be open an honest with our community of friends? How can we cheer on our children today? Click here to share your ideas!

Need a team of your own? Be sure to join me for a free parenting webinar I’m hosting with Amy McCready (parenting expert on the Today Show) on Thursday (4/11) at 9pm EST. Just click here to learn more and to register. I hope to see you there!

Comments

• Avatar Sara R says:

Beautiful! I absolutely have tears streaming down my face.

• Avatar Katie T. says:

Yes, tears, every time I watch it. So proud to say I’m a Cornhusker, but no matter where this had happened, such a beautiful way to honor this little boy and his family!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Katie,
      I’m a Baylor girl through and through, but I’ll happily cheer for Nebraska now (unless they’re playing the Bears of course…)

• Avatar Debbie says:

This is beautiful and thanks for sharing. I use to be a Cornhusker. Grew up in Nebraska. Thanks again. life is about being there for each other.

• Avatar Beth says:

It really does not matter what team you where cheering for in this game but that everyone came together for this precious child and let him experience some joy. I am sure that everyone in that stadium was blessed and will never forget that day. God is so great and he can work miracles into everything around us….might not be what we think it should be but God knows what is needed and when the time is right!

• Avatar Nicole says:

What is amazing to me is how the other team acted as well.
    They could’ve ruined the whole thing but they cheered him on too.

• Avatar Amy says:

Ack! It did get a bit dusty in here. Would love to hear this story from the parents!

• Avatar Yasmin says:

Aw, such a great video!! I love the idea of building a team around our children. My children go to a public school where it just seems like NO ONE is saved. Our church is in another town completely and the kids from the church all go to either public schools in that town or Christian schools. My kids spend more time with their school peers than their church peers and I’ve been trying to find ways to fix that (or atleast balance it out in some way). I take them to church on Sunday mornings and evenings (morning is service, evenings is classes) and Wednesday night Bible class. Whenever there’s a church event that the youth are involved, I try to take them also. And now I’ve decided to try and invite kids over to the house as well.
    I’d love ideas on how to balance the wordly friendships with the Christian ones.

• Avatar Lisa E. says:

As a “Tiger in the Corn” (an alum of Mizzou living in Lincoln, NE!), and still Tiger-loyal, I have to say that living in Lincoln, and seeing what the Huskers did for that little boy, made me so proud!! It was the talk of the town, and still is this Monday. Hopefully it will encourage all of us to reach out and help someone else score their own touchdown!

• Avatar Darcey says:

The NFL network has been showing this all morning. What a great story. I am sure there are other football players who encourage kids like this, but we need to hear about it more!