A Super Simple Way To Help Your School Age Child Have a Quiet Time Habit

By April 17, 2013General

20130417-090119.jpg
So…I got the idea from Angie Smith when she posted a photo of the devotional she wrote for her daughter that day.

Write daily devotions for my kids? I loved the idea, so personal and sweet, but the task seemed kind of daunting…

I went out and bought a couple notebooks and cute pens for my girls, anyway. And, miraculously, every day since then, I’ve been writing a simple devotional for them in the morning.

Here is my secret: I often just copy something from a devotional book we already have. I’m not sure if that’s deceptive or genius, but it’s working brilliantly for me.

Of course, sometimes I’ll share a verse I think will encourage them and I’ll write a few personal notes as well, but knowing that I don’t need to come up with the actual content day in and day out has been key for me. It helps me to be consistent and creative without getting overwhelmed in the slightest.

20130417-090110.jpg

The fun thing is that they love it and really look forward to it. They love that they have a special message from me waiting for them every morning. This is the most consistent AND in depth we’ve been about their “God Time.” Since I can tailor it however I like, I have them write out certain verses or draw pictures. They pray daily for certain people or certain things. If they are going through a particular situation at school, I can encourage them and share what God has to say in His Word about it.

The best thing about writing my kids devotions each morning is that I have built in accountability for my own time with God. If I don’t spend time with Him, I have nothing to give them.

20130417-091945.jpg

Friends, our children want to learn from us, to hear from us, to be with us. My kids will grow up all too soon (my 8 year old now wears shoes that fit me! Somebody stop the world.) so I am desperate to savor these years, to pour everything I am into them so that they can shine brighter than I ever will.

The best thing we can do for our children is point them to Jesus every day. He can take care of it from there…

Have you struggled like I have with helping your kids have consistent and meaningful quiet times? What suggestions do you have? Click here to leave a comment!

Comments

• Kristen says:

This is sheer GENIUS!! Thank you!!

• Kat says:

That was my thought exactly when I saw Angie’s photo! And I’m happy to report it works as brilliantly as one would hope. πŸ™‚

• Lisa Neumann says:

Wow – what a great idea! Although, I confess my next thought was ~ ugh; another thing to do! We home school, so I feel like every waking moment is about creating “meaningful learning moments for my littles.” Granted, this one would be the most important. I could use some accountability too, since my quiet time has been nonexistent lately. Do you have any suggestions for resources? Or, at what age would this become appropriate? Thanks, Kat ~ I always appreciate your wisdom!

• Kat says:

Lisa,
      I’m doing it with my 8 and 10 year old girls, but I think I might start with my 6 year old boy too. Just make it simpler and shorter.

I think the Jesus Calling kids devotional would be great, but probably just about any devotional would work. You could even just list your favorite Bible passages and go through them one by one. I usually have them read something, then write out a key verse from it, then thank God for a few things, then pray for someone. Simple, but I feel like it’s touching on several key spiritual disciplines.

• Renee says:

What I did after the fall Hello Mornings, was make a copy of the Kept Bible study (1 Peter) and put it in my kids binders (we homeschool also) and they are using that study. They have their time in the morning and then my husband (who works nights) does a devo time with them after lunch. Those studies are a great way to build a good habit because of how they are set up to find the same things every day. We are loving 1 Peter! Not sure if the Abounding Hope study will be as successful as its slightly different, but I am going to give it a shot!

• Amy Pecoraro says:

I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing it. My crew is 12, 10 & 3 and I think all of them would enjoy this format. πŸ™‚ Thanks again!

• Erin says:

What an awesome idea! My daughter is only 2, but I am going to keep this in mind for when she is older.

• Kat, Thanks so much for this idea! I love it! My boys, who are 8 and 9 have caught the desire to read the Word for themselves…PRAISE GOD for that. My oldest is finishing up 2 Samuel this week, he’s pretty self-motivated to have gotten there from Genesis…after he read a book about George Mueller reading through the Bible from the time he was young (maybe 8?), he decided to do it himself. My 8 yr. old started this yr with the New Testament and has read Matthew and Mark. I love this idea for my daughter who is almost 6. She can read a couple verses at a time and would adore having these devotions from Mom each day. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

• Kat says:

Angela,
      That’s so great! I love it when kids love to read the Bible. Was it a kids book about George Mueller? I bet my girls would love that.

• Kat, Sorry it took me so long to reply, we were on vacation so I am catching up on emails! πŸ™‚ It was one of those Heroes Classics books that he read by YWAM Publishing. He said there was also a talk at VBS afterward where the teacher talked about how much George Mueller read his Bible that also inspired him to do it. Have a great day!

• Elizabeth says:

Love the idea, what devo books do you like to copy from? Any suggestions?

• Kat says:

Elizabeth,
      Our church has a kids “God Time” sheet they send home each week, so I often use that. But the Jesus Calling kids devotional is great too – or just about any kids devotional would work. I’ve kept things pretty simple and short, so it would depend on how in depth you want to go. I’ve also had days when I just share a favorite passage of mine.

• Tahisha R says:

Oh I love it!! I do something very similar with my 8 year old! He loves it. My almost 6 year old daughter started begging me to do it for her! I encourage her to do a combo of writing and drawing. She loves to write (a girl after my own heart)! I read the scripture to my 3 year old and she shares her thoughts I write them and she scribbles little pic about her QT scripture (so cute!!). BTW, I do modify the Hello Mornings bible studies to make them QT kid friendly!
    I thank God for your website. Since I’ve found it a couple of years ago God has been doing amazing things in our family and in me on this mothering journey.

• Kat says:

Tahisha,
      That is wonderful to hear! I love how intentional you are being with your children, especially to even write down the thoughts your 3 year old shares. What a treasure they’ll have as they grow.

• Marlise says:

What a great idea! Can’t wait to apply it when my kid(s) is (are) old enough! Thanks for sharing so any inspired inspiring ideas!

• Becky Daye says:

I love this idea!!! Thanks, Kat!

• Mel says:

Love this idea! Might try with a 6 year old.

• Charise says:

I love this idea! My four children (8, 6,4,2) and I all have quiet times at the same time. It gives me some quiet and instills in them the value of spending time with The Lord. That would be a lot of work for all of my kids but I’m going to pray how to implement that idea into our day.

• Yasmin says:

I LOVE this idea!!! I’m running out today and getting some pens. I think these would be good for the evenings for me. My mornings go by SO quickly and we do have family devotionals every morning. I will have to secretly buy another devotional and use that for this purpose! lol! Thank you for sharing that “secret” because as soon as I read your first couple of sentences, I loved the idea but was immediately overwhelmed by what I would write each day!! LOL Thanks!!

• […] A Super Simple Way to Have Your School Age Child Have a Quiet Time Now that Xander’s reading has taken off, this idea will work great for him! Can’t wait to try it and see how Jesus speaks to him personally. […]

• […] A Super Simple Way To Help Your School Age Child Have a Quiet Time Habit :: Super simple but powerful. […]

• I just love this! {And, I also have 8 and 10 year old girls ;)}
    I have an idea for a really simple devotional that I’m going to write up for my girls and put in a binder with journaling sheets… I just have to get around to doing it!

• Chelsey says:

This is just… so great! I am so excited to start doing this with my daughter. I was just telling my husband the other day how discipleship needs to become the MOST important subject of our {new} homeschool (we’ve been HS for just a few months and already Bible has slipped in its importance!). I want so badly to disciple my daughter (and two younger sons)… I think this will be a great practice for us both!

• […] up. I was going to just let her do with it as she wishes, but then I remembered this great idea ofΒ hand-written devotionals from Kat. Maybe I could take some of my old Morning Watch books and rewrite them in her […]

• Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!
    Very helpful information particularly the last part
    πŸ™‚ I care for such information a lot. I was looking for
    this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

• Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I
    am impressed! Extremely useful info specially the
    last part πŸ™‚ I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.