God Doesn’t Play Whack-a-Mole With Our Dreams

By March 6, 2013Get Inspired

Photo credit

I’m sure you’ve heard the sweet and encouraging phrase “When God closes a door He opens a window.”

Well, I think that’s a bunch of hooey. That’s right H-O-O-E-Y.

Why do I think it’s hooey?

Because we don’t serve a God of second best. He’s not looking to slam the door on amazing opportunities only to open a little window of lesser things.

No, if He closes a door and we’re following where He’s leading… He will open a garage door, a warehouse door, He’ll flat out knock down all the walls. Or maybe He’ll take the roof right off.

Why am I telling you this and picking apart the semantics of a nice phrase that never did anyone harm?

Because I want us to have a right perspective on the opportunities or lack thereof in our lives. God doesn’t sit in heaven playing whack-a-mole with our dreams. He is a gentle and skilled carpenter who knows what is needed in order to reveal the most beautiful you.

When I “lose” an opportunity, it is for my good. It might not be for our immediate gratification, comfort, pride, safety or wealth. But it is for our good. And His glory. And His glory IS our good.

I love what my friend Liz wrote on Twitter awhile back:

“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Eph 3:20-21d

Comments

• Sallie Belle Howell says:

Love this. Grew up with a Mom (who I love dearly & believe she was doing her very best with the knowledge she had) who told me the above phrase & others like “it will get better when you get to college”. My adult self who has grown in my own faith believes what you have stated above. If God wants to blow the roof off He will! Thanks for the reminder, Kat

• Thanks for reminding us of this important truth. It’s amazing how seemingly insignificant clichés or pithy phrases can tarnish our view of God’s character.
    In addition to Ephesians 3:20-21, I’m reminded of Psalm 84:11b “…no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.” I think I would be more fully aware of this truth if I worked more towards aligning my definition of what is good with His definition of it.
    Thanks again for the reminder.

• Kat,
    Thank you for giving me a new perspective on an old phrase. It is what I needed to be reminded of this morning. His blessings are never second rate for sure.

• Nancy says:

Love this!

• Thanks for sharing Elizabeth’s quote – I needed to hear that today!

• Marvita says:

Funny thing about water-filled eyes and bold type on an iPhone screen: the bold text takes on a 3-D effect–it almost seems to move toward me. And, “hooey” is definitely the word of the day! Thanks for your obedience…I needed you today. Vita

• Danielle says:

Thank you for this post today. It seems that this is something that I struggle with off and on on a regular basis. I’m a homeschooling SAHM of 4 under 6. The fixer-upper that we bought when it was just us turned out to be a lot more involved than we realized. Now, 10 years later, as I look around at our home growing ever smaller, with its list of repairs a mile long, I struggle with contentment and gratefulness. Sometimes (now I know that this is bad theology and really just lies of the enemy) I wonder what we’ve done that God has kept us here. But I know that He is good and faithful and that He loves us more than we can ever know. I am praying that gratefulness and contentment will spill out of my heart onto my children instead of discontent, covetousness, and bitterness. Thank you again for the reminder that God wants big things for us.

• Kat Lee says:

Danielle,
      I love your heart…in the midst of challenge that you know and pursue the truth….as elusive as it may be for all of us some days. Praying that you and your family would overflow with gratefulness and contentment!

• Julie Reynolds says:

Love this post Kat!!! Thanks for the reminder that HE knows what we need and WHEN we need it! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

• Jane says:

Kat, I have been grappling with this all week. In Bible study we’re working through Genesis and have been learning about trusting God vs. taking matters into your own hands. Oh how I struggle with that balance! Knowing God wants the best for me helps me to accept things even when I’m frantic and fighting to have my own way. Thanks for this post!

• Jessica says:

This goes right along with a thought that arose yesterday and my heart has been pondering ever since.

God is good.
    God is not our definition of good.
    Our definition of good is not God.
    We like to project our earthly, worldly, pathetic definition of what we think “good” is onto God, instead of defining His goodness by what He actually is. What God does and says and has said and done in the past IS GOOD. If it doesn’t seem like it, it’s because our definition is all kinds of “hooey”!

• Danica says:

Needed this post today. Just had a major change to our moving plans and have been thrown for a loop.

• Aimee says:

So love this! God’s been teaching me this very same lesson… for my good and for His glory! Thank you, Kat.

• Valerie says:

Thank you so much for sharing. I have always struggled with this because I went to school for something completely different from what I’m pursuing now and it’s been a struggle to get to a point where I’m not forcing myself to do what I went to school for and be willing to embrace this new path. And this new path feels like the huge garage door being opened up wide. Thanks for the great post!

• Kat Lee says:

Valerie,
      Ah…welcome to the club. I went to school for something totally different than what I’m doing. I love when God realigns our path with His…

• Emily says:

Great reminder as I was just sitting here wondering why our dreams aren’t working out. -our house isn’t selling and we can’t find a place to live that we can afford where my husband had taken a new worship leading position and we have a newborn. I just want us to all be together at this point and don’t care where we live, but I’m sensing that God has a specific place that He’s wanting us.-

• Vida says:

You bless me everyday! Thank you!!!!!

• Lizzy says:

yes, and amen, and YES!!!! God has been doing a lot of dream stirring this past year with me. Each time I have to let go of my way of doing things he eventually leads me to a far better way. Just yesterday somebody told me that phrase. And within a few hours God had opened the garage door. All glory to him!

• Val says:

Right on, sister! I also hate that phrase, “You take one step towards God, he takes 1000 towards you.” It’s sounds nice… for about 2 seconds. God is not 1000 steps away. I would venture to say He’s not even one step away. Who comes up with this stuff anyway?

Thanks for sharing this.

• Kristin says:

Thank you. I needed to read this today. Feeling discouraged because I closed the door myself – argh!

• […] God Doesn’t Play Whack-a-Mole With Our Dreams :: If you’ve ever heard (or said) the phrase ‘When God closes a door, He opens a window’ this post will totally change your perspective on that belief. […]

• […] 3. God Doesn’t Play Whack-a-Mole With Our Dreams @ Inspired To Action […]

• First of all I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick
    question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I have had a tough time clearing my mind in
    getting my ideas out. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost simply
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips?
    Thanks!