Creating Cozy Spaces for Kids (and Moms)

20130313-074240.jpg
It’s Spring Break ’round these parts (that’s Texan for “here”) and I’ve been busy creating fun little spaces for the kids (okay…and me).

I’m NOT a home decorator by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love creating cozy spots where my children can read and play. I’m less like Martha Stewart and more like a 7 year old kid who loves to build forts.

Game Corner
The first project was creating a fun little spot in the living room where they can play games and do puzzles (pictured above and below). All I did was move a few pieces of furniture and buy a couple cute stools for a table we already had. Voila. My kids played chess all day yesterday.

Sometimes they used rules, sometimes they made up their own.

20130313-074907.jpg

Mom’s Office/Kids’ Cave

The second project was re-doing my closet/office. You may have read my previous posts about how I transformed my closet into a little office space “mom cave” (read about that here).

It has worked REALLY well for me, but it was still a little cramped and there wasn’t really room for all three of my kids to come in and hang out, which they do…often. I’d made little spots for them…aka “kid caves” but I wanted to make it more fun and cozy than just a cleared out space in the corner.

My closet is about 5×5. It’s small, but I was able to simplify my clothes onto one rack and rearrange things so that I have space for a desk, a little reading nook, and a small cushy bench.

My kids LOVE it.

20130313-071002.jpg

My Office
On the right is my “office” where I do all my blogging, podcasting and destroying great songs with my lame guitar skills.

Kids Areas
On the right there is a little, cushiony bench (really two cushions wrapped in a blanket) with overhead lights (the stick-on kind). Two of my kids can sit here and read. Or one little, early rising, boy can stretch out and own the place until his sisters wake up.

20130313-071027.jpg

20130313-071512.jpg

In the far corner, there is a cozy little spot where my son usually reads. It has a fun cushion and a little light. He loves his little spot away from the girls.

20130313-071635.jpg

The Best Part
On the back wall, I have a fun basket with coffees, teas, snacks and hot cocoa. The kids love to be the first one to get up in the morning and join me for a cup of cocoa. I admit, I kind of love it too.

20130313-072116.jpg

Learning to Love Mornings

My favorite thing about the whole set up is that my kids have learned to love the mornings. They associate early mornings with quiet, connecting time with God and Mommy.

They keep their Bibles and journals in their little spots. (My son “reads” his Bible using the audio Bible on the YouVersion IOS app.)

P.S. Keeping It Real
Lest you think that my home is filled with chess playing, Bible reading children and I’m constantly keeping my home in a state of perfection, here is what my kitchen looked like the past couple of days while I was redecorating other spaces in my home.

20130313-080828.jpg

And I’m sure the cocoa and the Mommy time are a bigger early morning draw than the reading of Nehemiah, but I figure…whatever it takes to build the habit.

Honestly, there are some mornings when the lure of a warm cup of tea and my cozy office chair are the only things that get me out of bed before the kids. When developing life changing habits, we need to pull out all the punches and do whatever it takes to make it happen.

Do you have any cozy spots in your home? Have you ever thought of creating one? Click here to share in the comments!

Comments

• Avatar Jess says:

I love your cozy spaces! I want to have some.
    And you really are an inspiration to me with the morning-habit-forming! It’s been just over a week since I started getting up before my kiddos (ish), and I’m loving it 🙂
    Also, if it weren’t for my amazing husband, our dishes would only be done about twice a week…it’s my greatest downfall!

• Avatar Paula says:

LOVE it!!! I especially love the cocoa availability. My kids would love that too. I’ll have to think real hard on how I make something like this happen in my home. We are lacking on cozy spaces right now.
    Thanks for the ideas and showing the behind the scenes too;)

• Avatar Heather says:

you are so many levels of genius. The memories, the feelings of warmth and love…no one can take those away from your kiddos. simply awesome.

• I just redid my office space – it isn’t as big as it looks in these photos, but its cozy. http://phyllis-sather.com/?p=4400

• Avatar Mandy says:

These are some really great ideas. I love your care for your kids and how you shepherd them to seek the Lord by your example. I am so appreciative of your blog, Kat. Just wanted you to know. 🙂

• Avatar Erika Dawson says:

Absolutely LOVE this! I’ve been working on some kids hello mornings ideas for my {pre reading} littles. Love, love, love the cozy, quiet spot and the hot cocoa idea. My little guy likes his milk in a mug so he can be just like Mommy. 🙂

• Avatar melanie says:

This is great – you rock. I think I’m going to invest in an electric tea kettle and get the audio Bible for the kids on my iPod. Thanks so much!

• Avatar Carrie says:

I love the pic of the kitchen! I have been going from room to room in my house, decorating, decluttering, and snapping photos in order to put our house on the market. While there is a great sense of satifaction after I finish a room, the rest of the house is in complete disarray! This happens every time I tackle a project that takes more than one evening. Laundry and dishes pile up, the fridge gets weirdly full and empty at the same time (old stuff doesn’t get tossed but no new groceries are coming in), and my email inbox practically screams at me when I finally open it. Hope you catch up on those dishes!!!

• Avatar huppicke says:

We have had some cozy places. For reading. For calming down after a fit. They surely were beautiful and the kids, two daughters 7 and 4 enthusiastic at first. But soon the place was abandoned. They prefer to fight about who is closer to mommy and other sibling rivalry things. *sigh* I guess creating the place is only a tiny part of the work. Staying firm and demanding my quiet time without fighting is the big part I have to do. The cozy place can’t do that alone. I have to remind them, coax, demand, give cocoa 🙂
    Ah. I wish staying firm was easier to me. Guess I better pray about that.

• Avatar dorothy surace says:

Kat, I found your blog 8 months ago and have been following it ever since. It is the most practical and heart warming read I get to savour in the quiet hours of night. I am so excited to be guided along on this path of motherhood with your ideas and routines. Thank you with all my heart for your effort in sharing. We are renovating and I can’t wait to move back home and set up some cozy nooks. Xx

• Avatar erin says:

It’s amazing what you can do with a small space! I love this and am going to really look at my closet and see what I can do to make a little nook like yours.

• […] that space for me.  I’ve revamped this space a dozen times over the years and after reading Kat’s post this week I decided to add some new touches to make this space a little […]

• Avatar Rosanna says:

Hi! I have been enjoying your blog for the last month or so. I found it on pinterest when I was searching for kid activities and came across the 128 ideas for a being a rock star Mom. I especially loved the post on a Mom retreat. Still don’t know how I’m going to do it, but I am inspired to action by your blog, for sure. I have been getting up early for a few years and it is totally good, except that I realized recently that I had a bad attitude about doing it. Learning to love it now!

Would love a nook like this, not sure where to put it. My closet is my closet but it is definitely NOT a walk in, plus my husband sleeps in in the mornings.

• Avatar Renee says:

I love cozy spots, we moved in this new home just a couple months ago, and still trying to making our own. I love the way you have created home at your place 🙂

• […] books, go through kids stuff, garden, read the Count of Monte Cristo (a book club bonus pick), and create a cozy morning devotions nook with a basket of kids’ Bibles and all the fixings for tea – another great idea from Kat at Inspired to […]