5 Nuggets of Wisdom I Learned at the MomHeart Conference

By February 18, 2013General

IMG_6967

This weekend I attended Sally Clarkson’s MomHeart Conference. I’ve attended for the past 3 years and leave inspired every time. Here are a few nuggets I brought home this time…

1. Never, never underestimate the power of books as mentors.

I first heard of Sally Clarkson through her book The Mission of Motherhood. It inspired me and challenged me and changed the way I see motherhood. Though we may wish for a flesh and blood mentor, we must be willing to grasp at wisdom in any and every form.

What books are you pouring over for this season of your life?

IMG_6963

2. Pursue relationships.

Every time I’m around Sally and her friends, I’m so challenged to boldly pursue friendships in my life. Sally has some of the most incredible and faithful friends. Sandra (middle right) and Cherie (right) travel with Sally and are just beautiful angels. Despite all the busyness of putting on a conference, they spent the weekend loving on and investing in Sarah Mae and I.

I’m inspired to not only pursue mentors, but to always have someone in my life that I am investing in. I forget the biblical characters Sarah Clarkson referenced (maybe Paul, Barnabas and Timothy? #BiblicalScholarFail), but the idea was to always have someone you’re learning from, walking alongside and investing in.

It is not going to be easy or simple. Sometimes ironing sharpening iron will hurt, but we need that friction to ignite our hearts.

IMG_6977

3. Apparently, I have a reputation for making people cry. 🙂

Everyone has a story. Do you know yours? Have you written it out? Take the time to remember and recognize the miracles God has done in your life. It is the greatest gift you can give to others, especially your children.

IMG_6955

4. Pursue Stillness

Sarah Clarkson talked about the importance of stillness. There is such power in quieting our lives and souls long enough to hear the still small voice of our Almighty God. I want to create more margin in my life and be more intentional about carving out times for quiet.

IMG_6974

5. There is no place like home.
I’ve traveled quite a bit (for me) these past 12 months. It has been fun and exciting, but the more I travel, the more I realize that there is no place so rich, so beautiful, so majestic as home. For me, life away from home is merely a mirage; enticing but never satisfying.

The night I got home we all laid on my son’s bed as I read a story. Five people snuggled on one full size bed.

I was smothered. I could barely breathe. I couldn’t have been happier.

What books are you reading? Do you have a Paul, Barnabas or Timothy in your life? Were you at the MomHeart Conference this weekend? What nuggets did you leave with? Click here to share your comment!

Comments

• Thanks for sharing the condensed version of the wisdom you learned while away!!

• I wanted to go to this conference so badly but it just didn’t work out so thank you for sharing these nuggets. I’m reading Mission of Motherhood for the second time because once just isn’t enough – and I don’t think twice will do it either. Desperate is next on my list. 🙂

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

I’m sorry you weren’t able to attend. Maybe next year? I *think* Sally is going to try to make some of the content available online – at least they did film the whole thing. You’ll LOVE Desperate!

• Avatar Jennifer says:

Thanks for your take-aways! I live to far from the conference locations so I appreciate your sharing! I feel the same way about Sally being a mentor for myself eventhough I’ve never met her and have been very encouraged by her! I am currently reading Desperate and a Let.It.Go.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

• Avatar Dionna says:

Those are great tips. 🙂

• Avatar Heather C says:

On my list right now:

The Lego Principle
    Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys
    Practicing the Presence of God

• Avatar Michele-Lyn says:

I love this, all of it. I hope I get to attend a conference next time. I will look into planning on it. Also, this post made me feel a little less foolish about the email I sent you. 🙂 Did you get to read that, yet? No matter what, I appreciate all you invest into us mamas. You are a gift!

with love,

Michele-Lyn

• Avatar Heather says:

Of course one of my fave parts of Momheart was your story. This time…I cried the most at the redemption in the Philippines. The way God carried you half-way around the world to heal wounds demonstrates to me how deep the Father loves us & how intimately He controls the details. Thank you again for inspiring me to action!

• Avatar ohAmanda says:

(jumping in)

I still cry thinking about Kat’s story, too. Such a reminder and picture of God’s great love for all of us!

a

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Heather,
      That’s my favorite part of the story too. One little detail I left out is that the day I met my family happened to be Memorial Day…then last year my husband and kids and I went to California and had a chance to meet one of my Aunts and her family. It was a big day for me to introduce my “families” and, again, the only day it worked for us to meet them was Memorial Day. A super simple detail, but I think God loves to throw in those little touches…

• Avatar ohAmanda says:

I just read #1 and had to comment (I’ll go back and finish the whole post, don’t worry!):

I have a post in my drafts right now about “long distance mentors”. They are the women I know strictly thru books or blogs (not even like you who I now consider an IRL friend). It’s amazing how words on a page can change your life. But really, should I be surprised as God gave us his Words in a book?!

a

• Avatar Lindsay says:

Thank you so much for your encouraging and inspiring words this past weekend at the conference! I’ve enjoyed listening to you and learning from your these past 2 years!! While don’t have a “personal” Timothy or Barnabas in my life at the moment….I’m praying for my Titus 2 woman, though! I would love for a more seasoned woman to walk alongside me. But in the meantime, I cling to wisdom from Ann Voskamp, Sally Clarkson and Linda Dillow.

I can’t remember who said it at the conference (maybe it was you!) but they spoke truth to me by saying “having a clean house with kids is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.” Amen! But in all seriousness, I try to soak up every word that is spoken at Sally’s conference. It’s such an incredible way to recharge my mom batteries! Thank you again for speaking and I hope to see you next year at the conference!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Lindsay,
      Sounds like something Sarah Mae might have said. She’s so hilarious like that.

I’m glad you enjoyed the conference and, yes, I hope to see you next year too!

• Avatar Felicity says:

Loved this post. Thank you so much for sharing. Its amazing how a few short paragraphs can change a life. Thank you.

• Avatar Nancy says:

“Our Covenant God” Kay Arthur
    “Holy Yoga” Brooke Boon

• i feel so honored that i got to hear you speak. your words stuck with me more than any of the talks i heard.
    thanks for being willing to share your story…and i’m glad i got to meet you!

• I was there! You, of course, are always so amazing!
    I’m reading a few great reads right now:
    The Utter Relief of Holiness
    The John Maxwell book you suggested
    The Hobbit (with my children)
    Desperate

I loved Nathan’s words that said through the great books he read he grew up wanting to tell a story with his life….a story worth telling…a story of love and truth. How inspiring is that. My story will live in in my children and grandchildren and those I invest in…will it be one of love and truth!

Sarah is always a blessing. Her encouragement to see myself as a heroine in God’s story…to accept the call to the utmost…that mediocrity is not an option. Her reminder that all the heroines in God’s Word were women whose hearts were engaged in Scripture!!! I love the “stillness” point too…I must carve out more stillness time.

And of course….Sally….oh so amazingly sweet Sally….she said, “wherever you worship, He creates life!!” I purpose to worship and expect him to create life there!!!

Thanks for your preparation, you leaving your children, your inspiration to “not think about” but to make into action! I’m so thankful for you and one day…one day…I will make coffee happen with you! 🙂

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Jennifer,
      We definitely need to make coffee happen! Oh, and I loved, loved, loved Sarah’s talk about being a heroine as well. So inspiring!

• oh my…that was long! sorry

• Avatar Melissa says:

Yes you did make me cry – I just wanted to thank you for sharing this weekend. It was such a blessing to me and also to the group that came with me. We talked a lot about the things we were taking back home with us and everyone kept coming back to what you said about being intentional and having a plan. I just wanted you to know I’ve been mulling over my plan and the 12 goals for this year. Thanks for your story and having the courage to share it in front of 800 women – you are brave and called!!!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Thank you for your encouragement Melissa! I have to say, I LOVE encouraging moms face to face. It’s so good to know that God used my words and story to impact you!

• Avatar Sarah Mae says:

Kat, I loved rooming with you and hearing you speak – you are a wonderful communicator and now I’m all, “I need a motto!” Still working on one. 🙂

Just love you so.

I can’t tell you how #2 Pursue relationships has changed my life in this past year! Sounds like an amazing time.

• Avatar kimberly says:

I was at Sally’s conference in Dallas and heard you speak, and yes, you made me cry….You have an amazing gift! You inspire and motivate me and so many other women! THank you for reaching out 🙂