So, I’m supposed to be training for a half marathon that I’m supposed to run in March. I say “supposed to” because my training isn’t going very well.
I have some brilliant excuses. Here is my awesome excuse countdown:
6. Travel and sickness. My husband was out of town a lot this fall and he was sick several times…so I haven’t been able to into a good training rhythm.
5. I’m old. Working out actually feels like work these days.
4. I don’t have a treadmill so I have to run when it’s dark and cold.
3. Ugh. I don’t like running when it’s dark and cold.
2. I was sick. I can’t run when I have a sniffy nose. Obviously.
1. But my best excuse of all is….I’ll do it tomorrow. I’ll get into a rhythm when my husband gets back. I’ll do my long run this weekend. I’ll work harder after the holidays.
My Mortal Enemy
I’ve made the fatal mistake of putting my trust in my future self.
Ah…my future self. She is amazing. I have an awfully high opinion of her. I seem to believe that she has much greater discipline, wisdom, self control and patience than this boring current version of my self.
So…Current Kat eats a few more cookies, confident that Future Kat will run a couple extra miles later. Current Kat stays up late, sure that Future Kat will go to bed early tomorrow.
In essence, I make intentional mistakes today trusting that future Kat will bear the burden of fixing them tomorrow. It’s awful, isn’t it?
A Modern Mirage
Here’s the problem: Future Kat is an untrustworthy flake. She is a poser, a mirage, a fairy tale. She never lives up to my expectations and consistently let’s me down.
It’s time for me to realize and admit that future Kat isn’t doing me any favors. It’s time to unfriend her.
Tomorrow’s Freedom is Today’s Surrender
The only moment of time that I am certain of is right now. I need to make decisions today that I will be proud of tomorrow.
“Tomorrows freedom is today’s surrender…” – I love this line from the All Sons and Daughters song “Dawn to Dusk.” Such rich truth.
Friends, let’s stop deferring our freedom. Let’s surrender our excuses today. In whatever area of your life you are placing hope in your future self, this is the day to say adios chica. And good riddance.
Leave a Comment
Do you ever find yourself putting too much stock in your future self? What is one area you need to start making changes today instead of tomorrow? Click here to comment!