Plans For You and Me in 2013

By December 28, 2012General

I am seriously excited about 2013. Are you? The idea of a fresh New Year brimming with possibility thrills me to no end. It’s like Extreme Makeover: Life Edition. Anything can happen.

What plans do you have for yourself? What areas do you want to grow in? What challenges do you hope to conquer?

I have some goals for myself this year:
Learn more about mentoring my children.
Run a half marathon in March.
Start a new blog (more on that coming soon).
Complete some exciting projects for YOU here at Inspired To Action.

2012 Recap

My personal motto for 2012 was “Do as little as possible, as well as possible.”

I am the sort of person who can get excited about almost anything. Overcommittment has been a way of life for me. Until this year.

I learned the art of saying no.

As a result, this holiday, for the first time, I felt like I had so much margin. I got my Christmas cards done early, presents were bought and wrapped ahead of schedule and a last minute holiday sickness didn’t derail us at all.

This “do as little as possible” thing is something I want to get used to. But I still haven’t figure out the “as well as possible” part.

Read with Me?

That’s why I’m so excited about 2013. I’ve finally figured out my capacity, now I can focus this year on doing these few things with excellence.

Or try, anyway.

One tool I’ll be using is a book by John Maxwell called The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. It’s the sort of book that I’ll be digging into all year long. In fact, I have a fun group of friends who are going through it with me.

And I thought you might like to read through it as well. It’s an easy read, but it is absolutely brimming with wisdom, ideas and insightful questions.

I’ve actually read the whole book, but now I want to go back and apply it to my days. If you haven’t heard of John Maxwell, he is an author and former pastor who has written 70+ books on business and leadership. Moms are leaders. So we can call this a parenting book. Mmmmk…?

My Goal For You In 2013

My goal is that by the end of 2013, you’ll be able to look back on the year and say that the time you spent at InspiredToAction.com changed you.

I want to do whatever I can to help you get where you dream of going.

I want to cheer you on, keep you accountable and offer practical help either from my own experience or by bringing in others who can share their wisdom.

I’m so excited about some very intentional post series and community challenges I have planned this year.

Of course, you don’t have to participate. The blog will continue on as it has. But if you’re in a season where you have the capacity and desire to grow, I can’t wait to walk this journey alongside you.

Live On Purpose

2013 has every possibility of being the most amazing year of our lives. Let’s be intentional with the time and resources God has given us.

Join me in reading The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. I’ll be posting a follow up post each month so we can share what we’ve learned and applied.

“Our ceiling is our children’s floor.” – Unknown

Let’s raise the roof this year and give our children the best foundation we can.

So what are your plans for 2013? Writing them down is the best kind of accountability. Click here to share them in the comments!

Comments

Looking forward to the challenges! Bring it!

• Avatar Michele-Lyn says:

I’m in! I’ll definitely be joining you for the John Maxwell book. Ever skimmed through his Bible. I use it as reference from time to time. Full of great nuggets of wisdom 🙂

Yes, mamas are leaders too! My heart is home. And I’m very interested in raising world changers!

• Avatar Nichole says:

My one-word theme/overarching goal for the year is “Welcome”. I’fe written out a list of ways to make my home, lifestyle, and self more welcoming to my husband, children, and others. There are many, many applications!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Nichole,
      “Welcome” – oh, I love that! I’d love to hear some of your list.

• Avatar Nichole says:

Thanks for asking! Here are some things from my list:
        Welcome. . . to my family by treating them with kindness & respect, and creating space for each person’s needs in our home. [the “space for each person’s needs” is huge – we have a small house, four children, and a lot of clutter]
        Welcome. . . to our new way of eating. It’s time to embrace the change, learn new recipes, and thrive instead of resenting it and whining about how much work it is!
        Welcome. . . to hard work. It’s hard work to manage a household, hard work to homeschool, hard work to die to self daily. . . but there is no room for laziness!
        Welcome. . .to my children: to their questions, to their needs for extra snuggles, to their help in the kitchen and elsewhere (instead of seeing them as in the way), to teaching moments that pop up all the time
        I have lots more on the list. I guess they’re not really measurable goals, but more a way to try to change my mindset and approach to life, which is already positively impacting the choices I make.

• You already raise the bar so I’m excited about journeying through 2013 with you. I’ll be reading the book as well. Thanks for all you do and your desire to walk along side others of us.

• Avatar Mary says:

My goal this new year is to take care of and enjoy what I have. I don’t “need” more room, more plants, more toys, more dishes, more food, more clothes,or even more children. I just want to enjoy and take care of all that God has given me today.

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

That’s some good stuff right there, Mary. Have you read Ann Voskamp’s book? It’s all about gratitude. Seems like it might mesh well with your goal.

• Avatar Mary says:

That sounds like a good book. I really enjoyed Nancy Leigh DeMoss’s book “Choosing Gratitude” a few years ago. It really helped me through a difficult time in my life. This year, I want to focus on not only being grateful, but also utilizing the resources and blessings I already have. Like finishing a project before buying new supplies. Or using my various school workbooks up before buying more. Playing all the games in the closet. Using up the food we have before it goes moldy… I want to use my resources wisely. And not just possesions, but my time and energy too. I’m looking forward to this year! I’m new to your blog, but it already seems very encouraging and practical

• Avatar Daniella Peterka says:

To be more intentional! That’s been my goal the past few years, and we’ve seen so many changes in our household just from being intentional with our time and our resources, to serve the Lord. But one specific way we want to be more intentional is to serve others…
    1. to love and encourage and serve our friends. One way to live this out is that we’re creating a “people we love” wall…we’ve always had pictures scattered about of loved ones, but with having a large photo display, all different frames, of friends and family we love, we’re more likely to think of them, pray for them, and write to them and call them when we walk by the foyer area- with pictures on all sides- and see their lovely faces! I’m excited about putting this wall together (Goodwill, here I come to ransack your picture frames section!)
    2. we want to be intentional about Christ’s command to “go into all the world and preach the gospel…” I found this large, framed bulletin board, and it is to go in our kitchen, with the verse on it, and have clippings and pictures and mission statements of some of our favorite organizations that we want to keep on supporting (Compassion, Samaritan’s Purse, Fathers in the Field, Friends of Refugees, Nightlight International…) When we see the beautiful faces of these people, people whom GOD LOVES, I will be more likely to be praying for them, and pulling strings with the budget wherever I can to have extra money to add to our contributions, to get food into those hungry bellies and safe shelters for those women rescued from trafficking!
    3. I want to “shop to change the world”. I even created a Pinterest board and I’m saving all the online stores that sell jewelry, scarves, bags, etc. that directly support refugees (like Refugee Beads here in Atlanta), and Freeset to give women a livelihood so they don’t have to sell themselves.
    I’m so imperfect, and FORGETFUL (perhaps on purpose sometimes?), so my main goal is to have these visual reminders all over my home to keep my eyes and heart and perspective on what really matters!

• Avatar Misty says:

My goals for 2013 is to become more focused, organized, prioritized in every aspect of my life. I plan on reading more, computer less. I really want to make my house a home. My house is filled with blank walls, so it doesn’t feel like home, but a place to live. I want to become a warm, inviting person and a lot of the times I feel like I can be a little too much of a tell it like it is type. So, I want to focus on my words this year, too. I have a lot that I want to accomplish this coming year! 🙂

• Avatar Elayne says:

Misty this is a great post… I almost felt as if you were reading my mind… Good Luck to you and I look forward to us looking back over the year and thanking God for the changes we’ve made in our lives

• Avatar Tanya says:

Misty, I have a lot of blank walls too. It breaks my heart to admit this, but my walls are blank because it brings up a lot of anger and hurt to put up family photos.

• Avatar Misty says:

Aww, Tanya, I don’t know what your situation is or has been, but I am sorry to hear that I know you don’t want pity, just know that you aren’t alone. My walls are blank because I have no family photos. No baby pictures of my girls, none of the ex and I, and none with my boyfriend today. I’ve never been a decorator. Every house we’ve lived in has always had blank walls. We’ve been in this house for 2 years now and still blank walls. I told my bf when we moved in to this house, that I wanted to make this house a home and I have yet to do that. Procrastinate much? Yeah, I’m a big procrastinator. lol I’ll keep you in my prayers. 🙂

• Avatar Tanya says:

Thanks Misty. I’m a big procrastinator too, eek! That’s part of why we have so many blank walls. The main reason has to do with a disappointing marriage. My husband and I are both to blame for the state of our marriage. Unfortunately, it seems that I’m the only one who is willing to improve our marriage and that has caused me to become very bitter over 17 years of marriage. I’m sorry to hear that you don’t have any family photos. Did they get lost or stolen, or do you not have a camera? I hope my questions aren’t too nosey. Maybe you and I can keep in touch to hold each other accountable to changing our bare walls? My email is refugekeeper@yahoo.com if you’d like to brainstorm some ideas on getting our butts moving to change our blank walls.

• Avatar Elayne says:

I want to become the best that God has called me to be. I want to be and do things intentionally and on purpose. I want my entire life ( home, career, social calendar) to be organized. I want to inspire my children and lead them to live the life God has called for them daily. I want to communicate in a loving way at all times with my husband even in disagreements…… I want to be a better friend mother wife daughter and sister.

• Avatar Tanya says:

Eek! :S

There’s a whole list of things that I should list as goals for 2013. Be a better house cleaner, be more consistent with praying for my husband and kids, work on thinking positive thoughts about my husband and marriage, provide consistent healthy meals for my family, be more organized, stay on track instead of drifting off into a myriad of ideas, plug into a women’s Bible study at a church, etc . . . but, yuck! I end up feeling like a total loser of a woman who doesn’t have it all together.

Sooooo, now . . . I don’t know what to list. Lol!

But . . . there is a papercrafting project that is sitting on a shelf. It’s a kit that I received in the beginning of December, but haven’t started. My goal is to turn into a 31 day “confessions” journal. Sounds odd for a title, but God keeps bringing the word “confess” to mind and I’ve claimed it as my word for 2013. Hopefully it will be done before the end of 2013, haha!

• Avatar Vaun says:

Excited and inspired by everyone’s comments. Went ahead and bought the book. Will there be a study/reading, “follow along” guide to help us keep on track with others who are participating? Thank u again!

• Avatar Kalynn says:

I was fortunate to attend a workshop given my John Maxwell some years ago. I do love his work. I am excited to join you as you study The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth this year. 2013 is my year to NURTURE – not just my family but also me. I even started a blog to chronicle my journey!

• Avatar Lisa Rountree says:

I’m new to this blog, but so far I enjoy the atmosphere it gives of other moms focusing on growing into better parents and better followers of Christ.

My focus Ive begun this year is discipline. With so much going on, I cannot be successful without extreme discipline. I naturally have no sense of discipline and so this is very difficult for me, but I must develop it or I risk losing everything.

I am a :
    Married – 9 years to my pastor & best friend
    Mother- 2 kids ages 3 and 6
    Minister – I’m a licensed minister myself, and assist my husband with his youth pastor ministry
    Musician – I teach piano, 12 students; my husband and I are also worship leaders on piano and guitar
    Mathematician – I’m a full time college student studying to be a math teacher.

With these roles comes many responsibility. My main goal is discipline, to excell in all of my roles.