Good Reads and Good Deeds

By November 18, 2012General

20121118-085606.jpg

20121118-085647.jpg
(Last night Baylor, my alma mater, had a HUGE football game. We beat the #1 team in the country. Our family had SO much fun at the game. Here are a few pics before we stormed the field with the other 40,000 fans. Sic ’em Bears!)

Good Reads

The Compassion Bloggers were in Peru this week and the words and stories that flowed moved me to tears and hope. Angie Smith’s post here is a must read. You can check out all the posts, photos and videos here.

To the Woman Who Is Looking for Grace in the Aging – This post from Kristen on the Incourage blog is just beautiful…for any age.

21 Days to a More Discplined Life – I bought and read it this week and I’m so motivated to kick things up a notch. Such great practical, humble wisdom from Crystal Paine from Money Saving Mom.

Good Deeds

Each week I’m challenging all of us to a simple act of kindness. This week, it’s a biggie. With all the crazy shopping that happens, especially on Friday, the challenge for us is to let someone else go first.

• If you see someone with fewer items at the grocery store, let them go ahead of you.
  • If someone seems really stressed out and grumpy from holiday shopping, let’s not give them “the look”, let’s give them grace. Let them go first.
  • Even if we are rushing into a store to get one of their featured items, take a step back, pray a simple prayer and ask God if maybe someone else needs it more. Consider giving it up for them.

Look for ways to give to others in the midst of this crazy shopping season.

Shopping Prayer…?

My friend Anne once told me that she and her mom always pray before they go shopping. That might sound odd, but it’s a habit I’ve tried to adopt.

A simple prayer for wisdom with the resources I’ve been given, grace to consider others needs before my own, and a heart to give instead of get.

And Thanks…

This week in the US we celebrate Thanksgiving and I just want to take a minute to say thanks to you. Thank you for taking the time to be a part of this community. Thank your for your comments, emails and words of encouragement. Thank you for praying for your family. Thank you for saying HelloMornings. Thank you for following Jesus with such passion that you inspire the rest of us. Thank you for being women of action.

You’re a mom…you’re kind of a big deal.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
Kat

Comments

• Avatar Karen says:

• Avatar Courtney says:

Love your good deed suggestion. It is a great series!

And yes – how exciting for Baylor! The Bears have a special place in my heart because I came “this close” to going there way back when. I visited and loved it, but it was just too far from home. Still, such a great school and what a great win!!

• I try to pray before shopping about where to shop..walmart or local grocery store, I dont want to miss a divine apt because I went where I thought made sense without asking my guidance counselor where I needed to be! 😉

• Avatar Tracy says:

Great ideas and inspiration, Kat. Thank you so much for speaking to our group on Friday! It was a pleasure meeting you, and we were all blessed with your words.

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Tracy,
      It was such a joy. Thank you so much for having me. You really have an amazing group. I was so impressed by everyone, especially the mentor moms I met. Say hi to Heather for me when you see her!

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

I love the shopping prayer! Such a great idea.

• Avatar Tehila says:

I just love your good deed challenges! It is such a great witness to let others go first because it is so seldom to come across someone who does! I’m really excited to make this a way of life! God bless you…

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Tehila,
      I can’t wait to hear stories of smiles and conversations that come from the amazing women like you who take on this simple challenge!

• Avatar Victoria says:

Often before going thrift store shopping or yard sale shopping I will pray asking God to help me find what I need and leave behind what I don’t. It really does help me to gain focus and not get caught up in bargain mode.

• Avatar Kari says:

Thanks for this great collection of reads and deeds. Last week’s too. I don’t take time to read many blogs and I appreciate that since you read some that I don’t, I can glimpse some good words from others through your recommendations.

I have heard the idea about praying before shopping and loved it but forgot it. Want to do that faithfully. Writing it on my grocery list now!

And finally, I’m thankful for Hello Mornings and for you and your team and what you pour into it from yourselves and your time. It makes a difference in my day because it points me to God who is the great difference-maker!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Kari,
      That’s a great idea to post the reminder to pray at the top of a shopping list! I’m going to do that too.

And thanks for the encouragement. I love how God uses each of us to inspire one another!

• Avatar Valerie says:

Just wanted to share my experience….

Yesterday I had a rather explosive situation with my 2 year old at home during lunch time. Terrible 2’s multiplied by 100! After we went through 45 minutes of him yelling and crying to get through only 2 minutes of time out, I was left deflated and raw….Wondering if my discipline strategies were working, if I did the right thing or if I needed to change what I was doing. I left shortly after working through this challenging time to run errands, while my husband put our son down for a nap. Right before I was about to go to the grocery store (think normal busy Sunday and add a bazillion more shoppers because of Thanksgiving this week), I decided to stop off at Starbucks to get a nice holiday treat. Then I realized that they were running their BOGO holiday drink special. I used my free drink to pass along to the girl behind me in line. She was so appreciative and shocked at the same time. She kept trying to give me money. I asked her to just pay it forward at another time. I left feeling really great. God knew what I needed. Good deeds really do make you feel so much better don’t they?

Happy Turkey Day!

• […] fun stories from last weeks’ good deeds challenge? I’ve really enjoyed the feedback here in the comments and on Facebook and Twitter […]

• Hi Kat!

This post was awesome!! So good to find a powerful woman that is encouraging other women to “do good deeds.” I would love to connect further with you… Please visit me at http://www.ShopLBG.com , where our family business, Lifetime Books and Gifts, has a little nook in the web.

I read you like Tex-Mex food…do you like Hispanic food overall? If so, make sure to find my latest book, Not Just Tacos at the site. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Shirley Solis