You Never Know What Could Happen…

By October 22, 2012General

photo credit (not me)

Anything Is Possible Today

I grew up playing tennis playing mostly by myself.

Have you ever tried playing tennis by yourself? It’s not easy. Of course I had one of those little weights with the rubberband-thing attached to the ball, so I could hit it and it would stretch out and come back. And every now and then I could coerce my dad or my brother to play with me in the driveway.

For the most part, though, I hit against a the side of our house or, if I found a real court to play on, I carried a bag of tennis balls and hit each one to the other side.

Down the line forehand 30 times. Go pick up all 30 balls. Cross court forehand 30 times. Go pick up all the balls. I would do this for 3 hours at a time. Crazy, I know, but I loved it.

Fast forward to college. It was my freshman year and I’d decided to spend a morning at the campus tennis courts. They had backboards! (Seriously, can’t tell you how excited I was about that…)

After hitting for about an hour I noticed a creepy man watching me. I tried to ignore him, but then he talked to me.

Him: “What’s your USTA rating?”
Me: “Huh?”
Him: “Your USTA rating…?”
Me: “I don’t know what that is.”
Him: “I’m the Women’s Tennis coach here. I’d like you to come try out for the team.”
Me: “………..”

It was a dream I never even considered dreaming. And it was coming true. Granted, I was simply trying out to be a walk on. I wouldn’t be a top player or even be on the travel team, but …. wow…. For me, it was the impossible…and it was happening.

Suddenly, I started working out with professional trainers in world class workout facilities. I was surrounded by some of the best college tennis players in the country.

And, best of all, I didn’t have to play by myself anymore…

What Could Your Today Hold?

There are two truths I want you to get from this story.

The first one is that ANYTHING is possible today. ANYTHING.

Yes…Anything.

Today could be the day we become an incredibly patient moms.

Today one of your children could invite Jesus into their hearts.

Today you could get that pesky closet cleaned out or find the perfect Mac and Cheese recipe.

Today you could transform a child’s life.

The Importance of the Ordinary

credit

In tennis, you don’t hit a great shot just because you know how to swing the racquet. More importantly, you hit a great shot because you get in position to hit it. Have you ever seen a little older lady play tennis? They can destroy and shred players half their age simply because they have played long enough to know how to get in the right position to hit awesome winners.

We position ourselves for awesome by being faithful with the ordinary.

Ordinary is playing tennis by yourself for 3 hours with no backboard and 30 tennis balls.

Ordinary is praying faithfully for your children when no one sees.

Ordinary is being willing to look like a goofball – who plays tennis alone?!

Ordinary is getting off the bench and playing tag with your kids at the park.

Ordinary paves the way for awesome.

If I hadn’t spent so many summer hours being ordinary, that coach would have walked right by.

Today = Anything

So, today, I challenge you to embrace the ordinary and believe the impossible. With God, all things are possible. Anything could happen today. Believe it, pray for it, live like it.

What impossible thing are you believing for? Click here to tell us.

Comments

• Avatar Kimberly says:

I am believing for a miracle, for The Lord to heal my body and get things working properly so I don’t have to go back in for another surgery. If I go in for another surgery it is pretty certain I would need a blood transfusion…I miss my little girls desperately and just want to get home to them…healthy!

• Avatar Hollie Garcia says:

Healing for the nations! Debt-free living!

Great story! So what ended up happening with your tennis career? Great inspiration to be faithful in the little πŸ˜‰

• Avatar LJ says:

Baby #2 (via adoption) πŸ™‚ It *could* happen today. Come on, God. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Avatar Elise says:

Today, I choose, to believe God that He will faithfully complete the good work He has started in my husband.

I will be faithful today, through Christ’s strength alone, to not let discouragement sap all the life energy and joy out of me as my husband struggles with discipline/procrastination and priorities.

Today, because of the Grace extended to me, I will model for my daughters how I will be respectful to their dad both in words and attitude no matter how frustrated I become.

The daily has proven to be much more difficult for me than “huge” events or situations. In Christ alone my hope is found. He is more than enough. I know Him well enough to trust Him for impossible.

Thank you for this encouragement today.

• Avatar Viv says:

Today I’m believing God will provide a house and a van so our family can foster more children. Thanks for the awesome post!

• Avatar Dionna says:

Truly inspiring post. We all desire to be “discovered.” I’m in position…. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Michelle D says:

Today I’m praying for and believing that God will send the right guy into my sisters life. A man after Gods own heart. A man to challenge her, love her, have fun with her and grow closer to God with.

• Avatar Amy says:

Today I’m praying for God to heal my body so I can be there for my kids. To take away the vision problems and dizziness. For wisdom for the doctors that are treating me to get to the bottom of this.
    I’ll be praying for Kimberly too!

• I’m believing that if the Lord can give a baby to Abraham and Sarah and can daily knit together babies in wombs then surely he can knit together tied tubes and bless us with another child! It’s impossible, right? With God, nothing is impossible!!

• Great story. I am putting myself in position right now. Being faithful with my family. Being faithful writing on my blog. Nothing “big” — but still important.

• Avatar Rebecca says:

Outstanding. . .again. Pinning and teaching this one to my kidlets today.

• Avatar Andrea says:

Love this. And I love tennis. I am excited our 5 yr. old has taken a liking to it. Playing with him is sort of like playing alone right now!!

• Avatar Arlene Hopkins says:

I pray for my husband Brian every day.

• Avatar PD says:

The impossible for me is that, after being childless so many years, my longing may be fulfilled soon. We are so hoping to be chosen to adopt a baby this week! Please Lord!

• […] Kat wrote a post last week that spoke to this theme of the unexpected. Β  Her post, “You Never Know What Could Happen”Β  was NOT about surprise tsunamis, but instead about all of the possibilities and potential we face […]

• […] you never know what could happen… :: inspired to action “We position ourselves for awesome by being faithful with the ordinary.” […]

• Avatar Emily says:

Wow! I am reading this with tears in my eyes knowing that God led me to your website and this absolutely perfect post. God bless you and your God given gift of being an inspiration to others.

• […] You Never Know What Could Happen… {Inspired to Action} […]