Why I Want To Be Your Offensive Lineman…and Lessons from a Weekend with Sally Clarkson

By October 8, 2012General

Last month I had the privilege of spending time with some incredible women. I went to Colorado Springs for a weekend event hosted by Sally Clarkson, the author of my favorite motherhood book

She invited all the women who write for her blog, MomHeart.org, to a weekend of intense teaching, late night laughing and delicious food.

Basically, my happy place.

A New Way of Seeing

It will take me weeks to process my 45 pages (seriously?) of notes, but I want to share with you one truth that struck me as I looked around the room at all the women gathered there…

(Ruth, me, Sarah Mae)

I was nearly overwhelmed by, seeing through God’s eyes, the unassuming power that all these women represented.

I’m not just talking about the lawyer, the blogging genius, or those with impressive connections. I mean the cancer survivor, the mother of 8, the mother of a special needs child.

The woman laying down her life for single moms.

The mother who lost her only child and yet dives deep into that place of pain to serve and teach and invest in young mothers.

*I stood in a room of superheroes.*

I don’t say that to sound cute or clever. I truly felt it. To the rest of the world they may look like Clark Kents. After all, we were just a group of moms. Is anything in oursociety more Clark Kent-ish than middle aged moms? I don’t think so.

But I knew the truth.

These were women who could not be shaken. They would not be moved. They had everything the Hollywood goes to rehab to find: steadiness, strength, faithfulness, security (in Christ).

What Does This Have To Do With You?

(Sarah Mae, Angela, Stacy, me)

You are a superhero. You have a story. You have an impact. You have all the resources of heaven an earth available to you with the bend of a knee.

You may look in the mirror and see Clark Kent, but all of Heaven looks at you and sees a superhero. Someone through whom God can bring hope and healing to the world.

Never underestimate the power of Christ in you.

Mirrors and magazines lie. Your worth and strength are never found in a dress size, a paycheck or page views.

True strength is found in surrender, because when we give up our striving, His power is released.

(me, Katy, Kristen)

But surrender isn’t easy, is it? Great things never come with ease.
Like childbirth, the greatest joy comes after the greatest struggle. And it is worth it.

Victory always comes on the other side of our comfort zone.

The Purpose of This Blog

So, fair warning, don’t stick around here if you don’t want to be challenged and hear hard questions. I’m going to ask them. And I’ll dare you to answer.

I want to inspire you, encourage you and always push you closer to Jesus. I want to call you out and call you up. I want to see in you what you may not see in yourself.

In football an offensive lineman is the one right in front of the quarterback. He makes room for the running back run and time for the quarterback to throw. He exists so others might succeed.

(rss and email readers, click here to watch the video.)

Consider me your Offensive Lineman. I want to see you run. I want to see you win. I hope to see you follow so hard after Jesus that any insecurity, hopelessness or fear – are knocked into oblivion in the wake of His Grace.

Now? Rise up. Someone needs you to be a superhero today. Through prayer. Through love. Through a hug or a note.

Small things done with great faith cease being small things.

Rise up. It’s time for action.

Action steps:

1. Take action. Take 2 minutes right now to pray and ask God how He can use you in someone’s life today. (Prayer, give a hug, say a word, write a note, make a call, cook a meal etc…)
  2. Plan growth. Then take another 2 minutes and ask Him in what areas He wants you to grow. (learning about grace, cleaning house, cooking, reading the Bible, exercise etc…)
  3. Get accountable. Click here to tell us what you’re going to do today to be a superhero to someone else and how you want to grow this month.

Comments

• Lizzy says:

I needed to read this today. It’s too easy to believe the lie that my contribution doesn’t really matter. But oh it does! thank you.

• Stacy Lane says:

The first one was easy – God had already laid on my heart to take my kids to school and start them off well, and to call my widowed aunt, my sister, and my parents to connect today. Planning growth was not as obvious. Then I realized I am planning growth through my Bible study and seeking assertiveness training for my son and better communication strategies for our family. God has us moving!

• Stacey says:

Awesome analogy!

This is me smacking your shoulder pads saying “yahhhh!”

• maddalena70 says:

Kat,

You are my offensive lineman. It is thank to you and Sally, first of all, that I rediscover God and His word and what was my mission of motherhood.. it is thank to you and your answer months ago to my depserasted call that I read ”mission of motherhood” that has openend a new world to me.. .and that I started to make me questions about my faith….
    Thank to your questuons and advices i understand where is my place and where is my faith and that i have another chance to be a better mom, wife, woman and believer.
    And that it is not my Church that really matter but my faith in God…

So thank you tovbe here with your blog and ideas…

Cheers

Maddalena

• maddalena70 says:

Oh.. sorry I forget to say that today I need to be a superhero for my two little girls… I need to be still to meet their necessities and to hlep and encourage them… so little and so dependant on me…

🙂

• Kat Lee says:

Maddalena,
      I’m so honored to be part of your journey. It’s been wonderful to watch from the other side of the world as you learn and grow!

• Very cool analogy. It caught my eye b/c I am married to an o-lineman and I know that it takes a special person to step into that role. I appreciate your heart behind the purpose for your blog. Thanks for that. So glad you were able to have a time of being refueled and refreshed with your sister-friends.

• Rhoda says:

Thank you for this post today. After being up most of the night with a sick child, personally, I’m not feeling too well myself. But I needed this reminder of what and who I am in Christ. And that we are not in this alone. I was definitely needing His touch this morning. Thank you for being part of His touch today in my life.

• Tammy says:

First one was to encourage and love a friend by email. the second woul be to grow in grace and mercy over the next 3 months…. Not sure how to do this, but I do want to.

• Kat Lee says:

Tammy,
      I don’t know exactly what you mean by grow in grace and mercy, but if it helps at all, I recently read a book called Grace Based Parenting and it was EXCELLENT. Might be a good launching point for you?

• Danielle Richard says:

Today is such a Wonderful Day…I took today off from work to just BE…I’ve been reading my bible…picking up other books….reading online….and God has been speaking to me through all of it….I really can’t explain it any other way!! Thank You so much for this post…HE is AWESOME!!!

• Jennifer G says:

Aside from not being ready to admit I’m a “middle aged” mom (38’s not middle-aged, right?!?) I totally love this post. 🙂

• ARamsey says:

“Victory always comes on the other side of our comfort zone.”
    I love this line – and I loved reading this post today. My husband was just transferred to South Dakota. During the last two weeks, my husband, two young children, and two old dogs have survived packing up and moving cross country from the Midwest. He was in the military for a long time, so we have moved a lot. I never like it, but find that when I finally accept it and allow God to move in my life the way He intends, I receive blessings I could never imagine.
    As for taking action, God has already placed a sweet family including another SAM and young children in our lives who live across the street. In less than a week, we have become friends. I also feel God directing me to be more patient and understanding with my husband (and children-although I find I’m better with them). A move is stressful and makes us all grumpy and out of sorts for a while. He is starting a new promotion with his job. And I’m very proud of him for this. But, sometimes, it’s hard to be “just” a stay-at-home mom while he gets to go out into the world and start something new and exciting. So, my planned growth will be to work on the peacefulness and stability of my marriage, finish organizing my house, start up my bible study again (it has slipped to the back burner with the craziness of moving), and be open to the people and opportunities God has in store for me in this new part of the country. Thanks for your uplifting and inspiring messages!

• Kat Lee says:

I’m praying for you in this crazy season. I can only imagine how stressful it must be to move across the country…with kids! I love that even in the midst of it all, you are being purposeful and intentional. Well done.

• Jennifer says:

I’m not sure how God plans to use me today, but I pray that I will be open and ready to accept His call.

This month I have begun to be intentional in my walk with Christ through my mornings. I have started reading the daily Bible, reflecting in prayer, and also reading a book on being a better wife and mother. I feel I’m being called to improve that fundamental pieces of who I am and I am listening to His Word to help me along this journey.

• Jennie says:

I am going to connect with my teenage cousin who is experiencing fear and anxiety to a depth that has her getting all kinds of tests to make sure she is not dying. I have been walking through the exact same thing and God has been right there teaching me and guiding me. Whether I text her or just pray for her that is what God is wanting me to do today. As for growth.. I think something as simple as having a to do list is hard for me. I feel He wants me to sit before him every morning and listen to what He wants me to write. I am excited! I am heading in a new direction and it is so freeing. I have been so full of fear that it has stopped me from enjoying life. I am ready to experience FREEDOM! Thank you for challenging me and writing from your heart. I am truly blessed.

• Kat Lee says:

Jennie,
      I love how you’re choosing to help your cousin in the MIDST of your own struggle. All we need to teach is to be one small step ahead. That’s so wonderful that you see that and are doing something about it! I’m praying for both of you today.

• Krysta says:

This is the second time in two days, from two different sources, that I have been told to pray specifically to know how to help someone in need. To me, that means God is trying to move me to action, and apparently the first time he spoke didn’t quite sink in!. Thank you for being that second reminder.

• Autumn Jones says:

Your blog is AMAZING! And your free e-book “Maximize Your Mornings” is brilliant! EXACTLY what I need right now. I love it! I was just praying and God was reminding me of when I heard a speaker talk about when we feel “stirred” by the Holy Spirit. He said, “I don’t want you to be stirred! I want you to be MOVED!” Because when we are stirred, we go home and go back to our lives and do nothing… Thanks for inspiring me to action with your blog! And I haven’t been blogging or following blogs for very long, but I’m pretty sure yours is my favorite right now. I love your heart! Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you’re awesome and you inspire me! 🙂

• SueN says:

taking action: prayed for my friend Corne who is on the missionfield in South Africa…and will intentionally keep on praying this month.
    Plan Growth: to come at peace with being a mother… sounds weird, but I cannot work in my occupation in this new country, and being “forced” to be a stay-at-home-mum made me feel not-good-enough. This season has been good to me but I still feel I want to run away from the 3 boys: 6 3 and 1year….sometimes. Fact is it will be easier to embrace this season than try to escape… I need God’s peace and vision for me