Did you hear that it’s an election year?

Did you hear that it’s an election year? You know. Passions flaring. Stances taken. Insults slung. Promises made. Hope rising. Smirks flashing. You get the picture.

Don’t worry. This isn’t a political post. I just pray that we as “the church” truly take Peter’s words to heart.

Be subject for the Lordโ€™s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.
1 Peter 2:13-15

Bottom line. God is in control…even over elections.

I think it’s wise and good to cast our vote at the polls. I think it’s wise to be slightly informed when we do. I think it’s wise for us to pray. But in the end, it’s vital to remember who ultimately reigns.

Regardless of what happens next month, God hasn’t fallen off His throne. And as His children that means we’re commanded to “fear not.” We’re instructed to “be subject for the Lord’s sake,” because when we spill His love and do good to the undeserving, we reflect Him. And the foolish are silenced. (His words, not mine.)

Vote. But then rest. He’s got (even) this.

What did you take away from Peter’s words this week? Let’s chat about it in the comments.

');

HelloMornings

About Lara
Speaker and writer, Lara Williams lives in central North Carolina with her husband and three young children. Click here to check out her blog.

Comments

• Avatar Debbie says:

How timely is this study? I chuckled when I read this passage this week. I thought first of our elected officials and how it is SO important to honor their positions – whether we ever agree with them or not! What a profound message – God appoints the king – and we are to live doing good, regardless of what is done to us. Isn’t that what most people expect Christians to do? Great post!!!

• Avatar lara says:

“whether we agree with them or not.” So true! It goes against our emotions but as someone wiser than me once said, “truth trumps feelings.”

• Avatar Larri says:

Yep. I’m one of the passionate ones. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And while I’m passionate about everyone getting out there and voting, I’m just as passionate they know He is in control of the outcome. Great post, Lara! Thanks for sharing.

PS…Today’s the last day to Register to Vote in the US Presidential election. (Couldn’t resist! LOL) Happy Friday! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar Ashley says:

Thank you so much for this reminder. I was awake until 4 am this morning worrying about the steps our country is taking and being ever so concerned because we the people don’t know what we are asking for. I read yesterday about this RFID implant that I believe for some or all is mandatory under obamacare and some extremists say that if we don’t get it then they are going to bus us to concentration camps. I’m not saying that I believe that but it’s something to really think about. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve been worried and not leaving it at the feet of Jesus. After all, what can I do about it? Not a thing. I have to just remember that he is in control. Total control. And he knows what he is doing.

• Avatar Lori says:

So many people want to stir up a spirit of fear in us by spreading false information. I think the importance of being informed is often that it can prevent us from falling prey to those who would seek to instill fear in us.

• Avatar lara says:

We have to take those thoughts captive, don’t we. He doesn’t want us to live in fear. Being informed is so important. But even beyond that, trusting the One who holds it all in His hands is the most vital choice for our soul freedom. Praying that you know when those fear thoughts come and that you, in the power of His Spirit, take them to Him alllowing Him to wash them over with truth. Bless you, sister.

• So true. Thanks for the reminder. Love this post.

• soooooo true! We can get so caught up in what WE think is best. Forgetting that He always knows what is best. Thanks for the reminder!

• Avatar Rhonda says:

Good reminder! Christ-followers should be the example in showing grace during this time, as well as respect and humility when engaged in thoughtful debate. It’s also important for us to remember that following Christ does not mean being tied to a particular political party – a mistake that I believe hinders our witness to others.

• Avatar Dawn says:

LOVE THIS. It’s one of the wisest things I’ve seen posted by Christians thus far during this election season. Thank you!

• […] Did you hear that itโ€™s an election year? {Inspired to Action} […]