What To Do With A Stinky Day

By September 24, 2012General

I woke up a little late this morning. Then I wasted half…ok ninety five percent of my quiet time watching worship videos on Youtube.

Irony.

When I realized it was time to wake my kids, I prayed for them as I walked to their rooms because I hadn’t prayed for them during my ENTIRE hour that I was supposed to be having my Bible study/prayer time. This morning it was a “Check email, update iPhone apps, watch YouTube music video” time.

I felt just as drained as when I woke up with a bonus dash of discouragement and disappointment in myself.

Bam. Recipe for a stinky day.

Then I was grumpy with my kids who were a little cranky because we were up late last night. At church.

Irony.

But somewhere between making oatmeal and emptying the dishwasher I decided what I to do with my stinky day. I’m going to kick it in the shins.

“This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Ps 118:24

So, I will. I may not feel like it, but Joy is a choice and I will choose it today.

The Bible says, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8

Another version says, “Your enemy, your great accuser…”

My accuser. He wants me to be discouraged. He recites a litany of wrongs over me.

I forgot it was my son’s teacher’s birthday today. He was the only kid wlking in without a present. There is a pile of dishes in my kitchen sink and our refrigerator is nearly empty. It’s 8:28am and I’m only just now writing today’s post.

My accuser hurls feathers at me that I let crush me like boulders, as if guilt brings redemption.

So, I have a choice. A distinct, clear, transformational choice. I can live today under a banner that says ACCUSED or I can live today under a banner that says RESCUED.

God has already rescued my TODAY. No matter how silly and small the chains are, He’s freed me from their weight.

And what He HAS DONE is always greater than what I haven’t done.

Zephaniah 3:17 says,
“The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.”

He is in the business of making sad things come untrue, of trading ashes for beauty, sorrow for joy.

Who am I to let a stinky day get in the way?

3 Steps for Kicking A Stinky Day in the Shins

1. Choose Joy – If I have to quote Psalm 118:24 and Zephaniah 3:17 all day long, then that’s what I’ll do, but I choose to listen to my Savior and not my accuser.
2. Take Action – I forgot a present for my son’s teacher, but I can pray for her now. I was grumpy with my kids, but I can pray for them all day long. I refuse to be stalled my discouragement. My purpose is to bring glory to God and others to Him, so choose to fall forward in prayer.
3. Drink Coffee – OK. I’m kidding, mostly. But I love what Katie Davis (I know I quote her ALL the time) says about how as a 22 year old she manages to care for hundreds of Ugandan children and adopt 14 of her own, “A little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus.”

…a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. Amen.

Are you having a stinky day? Have you ever had a stinky day? How do you fight it? Click here to share!

Comments

• Thank you for this post! I was having a major stinky day yesterday and was totally letting Satan attack me and drag me down. I need to remember that joy is a choice, regardless of how my day goes!

• Avatar Kari says:

Hello, i have followed you via facebook for a long time Kat. I live in another timezone then you and my monday is almost over. And actually im fine with that ,cause it has been a shitty day. I wish i read this in my morning, i might be able to turn my day over to a more positive one….. This is the big disadvantage of following blogs on the other side of the atlantic.
    I wish you a wonderful monday!! im going for a great tuesday soon 😉
    Kari

• All I can say is THANK YOU! What an encouraging post for someone like me who gets highly distracted! 😀 Bless you!

• Avatar Victoria says:

So, I just wrote a post on this too! Not quite a how to, but some truths to help get us through. I love the verses you included! And that you called it a stinky day, I wasn’t quite so lady like and couldn’t think of a good word.

Here’s to a whole lot of shin kicking!

• I really enjoyed this post. I’ve often let a small disappointment early in the morning drag itself through half of my day. Why do I make the choice to dwell in that negative instead of shaking up my perspective?

I hope to keep this in mind the next time I need to put a whoopin’ on a stinky day.

• Avatar Rebekah says:

I’m having my very own stinky Monday morning – and it started off very similarly to yours! Thank you for your words of encouragement!

• Avatar Sharon says:

Today started off stinky as I had trouble sleeping last night and my daughter woke up too early this morning. I like to turn music on when I’m having an especially stinky day. Music always lifts my mood.

• Avatar Jennifer says:

Thank you Kat. You are awesome – you have used your stinky day to encourage all the rest of us and helped to “unstinkify” our days. A funny thing – if that photo is of your feet, then you have the exact same terra cotta kitchen floor that I do – and which I actually just mopped for the first time in way too long – so the photo reminded me of a reason to celebrate my day – I mopped the floor!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Jennifer,
      Yes, that’s my floor. It hasn’t been mopped as recently as yours… 🙂

• Avatar Jennifer says:

The great thing about those floors is that they don’t show dirt at all so you really can’t tell how long it’s been since they’ve been mopped – something to be thankful for! ha ha

• Avatar Laura says:

I was having a stinky day today as a matter of fact, until I read your post. Mondays are hard for a working Mom. I never seem to quite get my ‘To Do’ list finished and I never have the time for me either. I was grumpy with myself and my husband. I am trying to listen to Christian music to help lift my spirits, but your post has truly helped me. Thank you very much!

• Avatar Jessica N says:

Sleepy, stinky Monday here. Up for 3 hours in the night and I’m exhausted today. Thank you for this reminder! Brewing more coffee now, and going to cling to Jesus and keep on keeping on today!

• Avatar Julie Reynolds says:

This is probably one of my all time favorites of your posts!! So authentic, so grace-offering! Thanks Kat!

• Avatar Jan says:

This is great! Thank you!!

• Avatar Myra says:

I NEEDED to read this today. I’m having a stinky day and this is great encouragement. My resource for today is nap time. After nap time we will start fresh again. 🙂

• Avatar RamFM says:

Thank you thank you thank you. We’re in the midst of a very difficult period, raising 5 kids and many days feel stinky. I just looked at hubby in the driveway this morning and said “perhaps we should be praying more…” Arrived at the office to your post. I shared it with him and on my FB. Great speak! Especially the coffee & Jesus!!!! 😉 Thank you for the smile and the okay to kick it in the shins!!!

• Avatar Ursula Liao says:

I love who you are Kat. 🙂 I appreciate your real-ness, transparency, sharing of Scripture, and specific action steps we can take that’s Scripture-based. Thank you for sharing more of yourself in a way that practically can help us too. 🙂

• Avatar Kisti Felps says:

This post will stay in my files for the future! Well said! 🙂

• Avatar Gina says:

I wishI had read this earlier today…I let satan have too much of my time today allowing a terrible mood to loom over me…finally at lunch time I dragged myself out of the house for a little hike with the kids…I still fought to stay positive and this post is just the further encouragement I need to get my but in gear and plan to rise early tomorrow and spend some time early filling my cup so tomorrow I’m not running on empty by 730….thanks for this post…your blogis always a blessing to me.

• Avatar Amber Dalton says:

This post was very encouraging in that it reminded me that I’m not the only person who doesn’t get each day right. When my days start off stinky and I know it’s gonna be difficult to get back on the right track I frequently lower my standards on my to-do list. I might say to heck with the kitchen, stay in my pj’s until noon, and only clean the living room 10 minutes before my husband gets home from work. I do whatever I need to lower my stress and avoid snapping at my kids. The way I see it, the kids don’t care if the house is messy but they DO care if mommy is harsh with them. And I agree, a little bit of coffee (ok, a lot of coffee)and a whole lot of Jesus can work wonders.

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Amber,
      GREAT advice! The worst thing is that when I’m having a bad day I have a tendency to try to do MORE. To catch up or be better, when I really just need to focus on kindness. Thanks for sharing that!

• Avatar Denise Brink says:

Great post today! Just what I needed to read on a day when I woke early for my bible study only to have my efforts thwarted by my 3 little blessings. So, at 5:45 I am awake, my bible study time was less than stellar, and I’m trying not to panic thinking about what a day will be like with 3 children that have been up since 5:30 am. I’m choosing to REJOICE this morning and in this day!

• My stinky Monday is Tuesday, because Monday was a public holiday.
    I woke up on time and reset (not snooze! RE.SET) my alarm clock because I thought, “Rocks!” So I was late, and rushed, and didn’t have enough bread for the house-keepers lunch, and no time to make any so she got pasta salad from yesterday…. Stinky! But Vineyard praise in the car to work can fix a lot of things.
    And Handsome Hubby has just taken me to lunch… so I’m blessed out my socks, and will meet up with 1 Peter 2 this evening.

• Avatar Vikki Forster says:

Isn’t it great to turn a day around when it has started ‘stinky’!! My method ( as well as a lot of ‘help me!’ prayers) is to get out in the open, under the sky, whatever the weather…..walk to school, peg out the washing, go to the mailbox…..whatever! It’s amazing how a breath of fresh air can break that cycle of ‘stinkiness”!

• Avatar Jennifer says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I’m certainly having a stinky day. A grumpy one-year old, a to do list a mile long (complete with deadlines), not one but two cups of spilled milk this morning, a grumpy husband…it has been adding up all day. Thank you for the perspective. God has made this day…and everything in it. Should I “curse” this day, just because things haven’t gone my way. I’m taking a deep breath even as I type this and praying for God to give me more of him…and for Satan to be banished from my home. I don’t always take the time to read your posts…but every time I do, I leave feeling blessed. Thank you for following the call of God.

Kicking it in the shins right now!

• Avatar Jennie says:

My day started out stinky. I woke up at 5am this morning with my husband who heads off to work. However, my youngest woke up as well.. cried and woke his brother. GRRRR.. HOWEVER, I admitted out loud to my husband that my day was starting badly and when I heard myself say it I thought “no” this is not going to be my day. I am choosing to ignore my feelings and choose instead to enjoy my day in spite of how it started. In the end, I prayed my boys would go back to sleep.. they did. I spent time with God, walked on the treadmill, brewed some coffee and sat and read about your stinky day Kat lol! I just felt like God patted me on the back after reading and said ” well done, you are on your way!” So thanks for your post. Thanks for being real. It’s helping me a lot.
    Blessings 🙂

• Avatar Rhonda says:

The best thing I can do with a stinky day, other than praising God and turning it around where I can, is to not over think it and dwell on it. Bad days happen. Let it be done and over with, and put head to pillow knowing God’s mercies are new the next morning.

• […] What To Do With A Stinky Day @ Inspired To Action {Three steps to kick a stinky day in the […]

• Avatar Darla says:

i am having one this morning feeling attacked emotionally My son a Sr in college called last night at 5:30 to tell me he just broke his arm at football practice!… i could have driven an hour to be with him but for some reason i didn’t & went to the bible study/fellowship we usually do… this morning i was overcome with regret… like i must be the WORST mom ever why why why didn’t i hop in the car and go to him? (ok he is almost 22 & a big boy right?) anyway i am struggling with the guilt/accuser this morning and still haven’t done the bible study… but i am going to go do that now thanks for your post Kat!

• Avatar Alexandrea J says:

Wow! What a FANTASTIC post! I loved how practical this and how honest you were! I struggle with my mornings too because I constantly check fb, instagram, etc. before I open up my bible. I have to actually put my phone in a drawer or in another room just because I can’t seem to wake up without turning over and checking what’s happening in the world before I check in with God (horrible….:() and then of course, I feel guilty and discouraged. BUT You’re right-I need to stop listening to my accuser and listen to God instead. And I also need to take action-choose Joy, choose God and make the difference I want to see in my life. I can choose to pray for Joy and choose to pray for prioritizing and God’s spirit will transform if I let him…so thank you for this great post! 🙂

• Avatar Tricia Jones says:

This post is exactly what I needed!

THANK YOU. 🙂

• Avatar Tricia Jones says:

This is exactly what I needed.

Thank you!