only the “necessary” trials

By September 14, 2012General, Study the Bible

Seriously girls. This one will preach. I mean, really preach. Because life. is. hard.

You ready? If we are His, He will only allow the trials into our lives that are “necessary.” Girl, you crazy. No really. Look at what Peter says…

In this (gospel) you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:6-7

(Be honest. Did you read or just skim that blockquote?)

If. Necessary!

I bank on this one, girls. I have to because our world throws too much blech at us. But just think, as His daughters, the enemies of God have to go through the Father to get to His sons and daughters. The enemy can’t do whatever he wants in our lives! (Remember Job?)

If we are His, then we can believe that the trial we’re walking isn’t arbitrary. It isn’t purposeless. But that doesn’t mean it won’t hurt.

Girls, some of the things that happen on this planet while we’re sojourning to our “rightful” place in Christ will grieve us. That word means “heaviness; to cause sorrow.” Some trials will feel like a weight; but they are not without purpose!

Love Letter
flickr photo credit

Dare I even take it a step further and suggest that the trial is a gift. I say that with a clenched jaw considering a personal trial I am currently treading through. The trial is a gift because we have to fully depend on the sufficiency of our God; and nothing in this life is sweeter than a firm faith in our Lord.

We are not at the mercy of the enemy’s schemes. The trials we face aren’t purposeless. As His daughters we will only go through that which He — the sovereign, all-knowing, lavishly-loving God — deems necessary. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’m telling you. That’ll preach.

For those doing the “Kept” study, what did you glean from this week’s look at Peter?

Let’s chat about it in the comments.

script type=”text/javascript”>
document.write(‘<script type=”text/javascript” src=http://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=192298&’ + new Date().getTime() + ‘”></script>’);

HelloMornings

About Lara
Speaker and writer, Lara Williams lives in central North Carolina with her husband and three young children. Click here to check out her blog.

Comments

• Avatar Jennifer G says:

I have struggled with my faith in the past. Oddly it wasn’t a “trial” that made me start to question my faith, but an easy, content time in my life. It was a trial that brought me back. Losing my father, watching him die of cancer without a single complaint, really brought me back. I’m not saying I didn’t question the Lord’s decision not to allow his healing, that I didn’t beg to change places with him. But it brought me back to my faith, because though we didn’t get the answer *we* wanted, I never doubted that He was hearing my prayers and petitions. My dad’s life and his death was testimony to so many people that you can live a hard life and die a hard death and still remain faithful to your God and your convictions. I choose to believe that this is why the Lord didn’t save him for us, but allowed him to be that testimony and hopefully draw many others to Him.

• Avatar lara says:

I lost my dad from cancer too, Jennifer. And I can completely relate to your testimony. It took me a while to praise and believe that God was faithful after that trial — I ran for a long time after that — but now I know that I know, His ways and plans are perfect. Bless you, sister, as you run this faith race.

• Avatar Katie says:

I read this quote from the blog http://www.girltalk.blog.home and JI Packer’s book “Praying the Lord’s Prayer” and wanted to share. As Christians, trials are inevitable and I want to respond in joy knowing that each trial is drawing me closer to Him. Here’s the quote:

“‘If you ask, ‘Why is this or that happening?’ no light may come, for ‘the secret things belong to the Lord our God’ (Deuteronomy 29:29); but if you ask, ‘How am I to serve and glorify God here and now, where I am?’ there will always be an answer.”

Our Father in heaven will show us how to glorify Him, if we simply ask, ready to obey. So which question are you asking today?”

• Avatar Lacy says:

As I have been walking through the valley of sorrow, this is the truth that has kept me moving forward. God is good and He loves us. His love toward us never fails, even in the deepest, darkest place.

But my fight comes with the “why”. Why is it necessary? I read recently that only in this life will we have the opportunity to draw close to the Lord in suffering. Only in this life can we gain the intimacy with the Lord that comes through utter dependance on Him as a result of being stripped of all else. I still want justice and for the wrongs to be righted. And I often ask, “How long, Lord, must your children suffer?” Even as I submit to the suffering (however small that may be in comparison to others) that God allows into my life, I say Come quickly, Jesus!

“He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”
    Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen.” Revelation 22:20-21

• Avatar lara says:

“Only in this life.” I love that thought. We are just sojourners here. This is not our ultimate home. In the meantime, I pray we dare to believe Him. Many blessings!

• Avatar Amanda Cross says:

I love that the enemy cannot do whatever he wants in my life. Here are some things that I wrote down in my journal last Saturday: I understand that I will not have a trial or test unless the Lord allows it, but sometimes have seen him as the one bringing it. Tonight I saw the enemy (the devil) as the one seeking to bring a test or temptation against me. God is not evil and He is for His children. Sometimes God may assess as a teacher assesses their students to make sure they are getting it. His purpose is never to cause harm to us. Satan’s purpose of testing is to see us fall and fail. He will even laugh at us if we fall down. He is bent on destruction. Knowing these things, I also know that Satan has to come to God for permission. My Heavenly Father is wise. In His wisdom, He either allows it or not. He doesn’t always allow the test either. But, know this: His eye is watching the entire time and His hand is ready and outstretched to save at a moment’s notice.

• […] week Lara shared with us about the gift of trials, and their purpose in our lives. It is easy to say “amen, sister” when our kids are healthy, our marriage is perfect, […]