Guest Post: How Kristi Said HelloExercise

By September 5, 2012General

Note from Kat: Today’s post is from my wonderful friend Kristi. She is a member of the HelloMornings Team and shares her inspiring story with us today.

I’m not an athlete. Not even somewhat athletic. I’m overweight and unhealthy. I have 3 little boys that I cannot keep up with. And the Lord has been speaking to me about this.

Obesity and inactivity are two epidemics we see in the church. Our society has accepted this lifestyle and adopted it. While I carry no judgment, I have been convicted that I’m not taking care of my own body as God intended for me to.

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

And while this is my very own conviction, He has laid it on my heart to encourage others to walk this journey with me. Each day I’m handed a set of options, and each day I have to specifically decide to do the right thing.

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. -Romans 8:37

My Story

I’d like to think I could blame my weight problems on having three kids in three years or turning 30, but lets be honest, my wedding dress was a size 22.

We can go back even farther to my first year of college. A soft serve ice cream machine and all you can eat Lucky Charms probably have more to do with my weight than anything else. The stress of a post graduate degree, then living on my own, and working night shift just compounded the issues. I don’t enjoy exercise, hate to sweat, and am uncoordinated. This formula just created an environment where I would just buy new clothes when the current ones would get too snug.

Then a wedding…of course I tried to lose weight for that, then we quickly started our family.

Yes, I said three kids in three years. I never really got the weight off before I got pregnant with the next one. Pregnancy honestly gave me the golden ticket to eat whatever I wanted (and boy did I). Feeling like our family was complete, and I wouldn’t be pregnant anymore, I set out for “a final time” to lose the weight.

Then we got the news that my dad was sick with stage 4 cancer. I spent the next few months balancing my 3 toddlers and my dying father. I ate many fast food meals in my car as I drove back and forth. I had just started weight watchers right before his diagnosis and I can remember him specifically telling me and my sister from his hospital bed how proud he was of us and how his illness was not to defer our efforts.

I promised him through tears that it wouldn’t and proceeded to drink sugar sodas and eat chocolate in those lonely car rides.

The Realization

It’s been almost eighteen months since my dad passed away and I keep waiting for my next big thing to derail these efforts. But honestly, I didn’t have efforts, I had excuses. I had roadblocks in my path and I ate my way around them. When things got tough, I found comfort milkshakes. I blamed circumstances. I was ashamed of who I had become but didn’t know what to do about it.

The Change

I decided 2012 would be the year things would change. I was tired of ordering clothes online, I just wanted to shop “off the rack” at Eddie Bauer. Even more than my appearance, I wanted my lifestyle to change. I don’t want to be an overweight parent. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to be active with my boys. I want to ride bikes and go on hikes. I don’t want to be achy or have feet and back problems (they’ve already started).

On Easter 2012, I changed my diet to a paleo based diet. I realized that the exact food I was craving and binging on were the ones that made me feel rough. Upon eliminating grains and dairy from my daily meals, I found that my knees no longer ached and stomach bloat was gone. Even more so, I had energy.

I became very interested in CrossFit, a style of working out that often partners with a paleo diet. Honestly, I can’t get enough of it. It makes so much sense to me to build my strength with weight training and short bursts of aerobic activity. I’m finding that crossfit can be scaled to even a beginner like me. My goals include being stronger with each day.

I’m doing things now at almost 34 that I couldn’t have imagined even at 21.

The Solution For You

Do I have it all figured out? No. Do I have hard days? Yes.

I’ve tried a lot of different diet and exercise methods and I feel like I’ve finally found something to work for me.

I’m not saying that this will work for you, but I’m saying that there is something that will. I want to encourage you to find it.

Not because it’s about being a size 2 or an Olympic athlete. It’s about living my life as a sacrifice. It’s about treating my body as a temple. It’s about being obedient to His commands in my life.

So today, I focus on adding purposeful movement to my day. I decide to monitor what I eat in order to fuel my body and to feel good. I ask Him to make me more than a conqueror.

HelloExercise

Would you join me?

We will be using the hashtag #helloexercise on pinterest, instagram, and twitter. There is a #HelloExercise pin board with exercise ideas and there will be tips in the weekly HelloMornings Newsletter and on the Facebook page.

We’re not going from 0-60 in 5 minutes, this is #helloexercise. Start small, add movement, play with your kids. Our health depends on it and God wants it for us!! Let’s glorify Him!!

Do you struggle to fit exercise and healthy eating into your day? What is one small, simple step you can take today? Click here to join the discussion.

momma kristiAbout Kristi:

Not at all a fitness expert- Kristi is trying to balance the desire to lose 50 pounds and being comfortable in her own skin. She’s made her ultimate goal to be active and healthy for her husband and three boys,, and she’s bringing them along for the journey. You can find her blogging at www.mommakristi.com where she shares many of her own exercises, and at www.mustlovegod.net where she is leading a community of women on a wellness journey. You can also find her pinning until her heart is content on her own personal boards and the HelloMornings Community Boards.

Comments

• […] by mommakristi on September 5, 2012 I’m telling my story over at Inspired to Action today.  You can find the post here. […]

• Avatar dj Faul says:

What an inspiration…

• Avatar Katie says:

I love the pinterest board! Are you a member of a crossfit gym or do you do it on your own at home?

• Avatar Kristi says:

I got a groupon for a crossfit box and tried it out, but felt like they didn’t really scale well for beginners (I’ve heard some are better at that than others), so I’ve been doing some crossfit at home and couch 25k.

• Avatar meg says:

Good for you! Thank you for the inspiration — I needed to read this today. Can’t wait to check out the Pinterest board!

• Avatar Michele says:

So thankful for your words of encouragement in the area of desiring a healthy lifestyle and exercise. I, too, have made up my mind, along with my husband, that for our sakes and that of our children, we need to eat healthier and exercise regularly. We also see the great importance of teaching this to our children. We cannot be all that God intended unless these two areas are focuses in our lives. Thank you for sharing your story and encouraging me to continue on!

• Kristi – I’ve been moved to tears. Thanks for sharing your struggles. What an inspiring post you’ve written. Thankful for you! I plan to start using that #helloexercise hash tag! I need to get moving myself.

• Avatar marz says:

Thank you for sharing Kristi! You are an inspiration. So does paleo mean NO starches and dairy products? Good luck and God Bless!

• Avatar Kristi says:

marz:
      Paleo is technically no grains, no sugar, no dairy, and no legumes. The amazing thing about it is that there is no exact…do whatever works for you!!! Currently I’m doing a strict paleo called Whole30. You can see all my paleo posts on my personal blog here: http://www.mommakristi.com/tag/paleo/
      Let me know if you have any questions!!

• Avatar Myra says:

“It’s about living my life as a sacrifice. It’s about treating my body as a temple.” What an awesome and true statement! We really have to make a decision, and then decide to be fully committed to it, and then focus on that commitment. Of course it comes as a sacrifice, but it is so worth it. So, as I am hot and sweating, panting for breath, and feeling like my legs are about to fall off, I thank God over and over for the ability to move my body, and for the strength he gives me to endure. Day by day. Thank you, Kristi for the encouragement! Blessings to you!

• Avatar Meredith says:

Preach it, Sister!!
    This is awesome.

Man — I am motivated. #helloexercise

We CAN do this!!

• Avatar Tereasa says:

Kristi, this is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story. I pray that the Spirit will strengthen you as you seek to live for him!

• I LOVE this guest post. WHY? Because my husband and I embraced this a few years ago ourselves. With God’s blessing and provision, we started a gym with HIM at the center. It’s called YOU Factor, because YOU are the key to your spiritual health, physical health, nutrition and mental health. It was the name God gave us for the gym when we prayed about it. We know that when you keep your body inline with what God intended it to be, it makes so many things in your life more purposeful, turns you into a vessel, a nobel vessel for his purposes. There is no question when you go to our site, that God is at the center of all we do.
    We have recently put our gym concept online in an online community. For $.25/day ($91.25 for 365 days + 60 bonus ‘hardcore’ days) we’ve put online 365 routines plus the 60 extra, a daily devotion and scripture reading, and nutritional insight. This is a tremendous offering!! We take our online members from beginner through to advanced over the 365 days, slow and building up as you go along. We train in the HIIT style (High Intensity Interval Training) which is a step down from Crossfit. It’s great for the beginner but can also be challenging enough for the advanced because it’s all based on YOU and your intensity that you add to each routine. Takes 4-20 mnutes per workout, and there are short video clips for each exercise you’re asked to perform.
    We offer a free trial so you can see the sight before purchasing your membership. All routines are based on 7 pieces of equipment, which if you don’t have them, you can purchase at our low cost through the deals we’ve set up with our distributors for our site specifically.
    OUR entire mission is simply to provide people across the world with the opportunity to cleanse and renuild their temples, to get them inline with God’s plan for them. We know, when you feel good about yourself, it’s alot easier to turn outward and serve others as he would have us do….This is our gift and our passion! Please check out the website: http://www.youfactor1.com and let me know if you have questions. This is for ANYONE, ANYWHERE!
    As we know that all our motives are examined by our Father, please know we are only here to help and serve our brothers/sisters. We also do nutritional coaching as well. we’ve found great success with what we do nutritionally as well, after a few years of trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
    Thanks you guys! I love that all of you are inspired by this. I have never felt better inmy life. Like the guest poster said, I’m doing more things now at 32 and am stronger now, then ever before in my life – and I was a sports star in high school. LOVE being healthy and fit!

• I LOVE this topic! My husband and I have built our lives around this – connecting God with our training. We started a unique gym almost 3 years ago for that very purpose. http://www.youfactor1.com. We just put the gym concept online in April of this year but have been a gym for almost 3 years. Basically, for $.25/day ($91.25 a year) we’ve got 365 days of workout program, a daily devotion and scripture reading, and a nutrition component.
    We know that incorporating God into this area of your life is a must. We’ve experienced his blessings in our bodies and wanted the world to know of this as well. YOU Factor was the name given us by God when we prayed about what to call the gym. YOU are the key factor in determining your health, fitness, relationship with Jesus, your mental state, etc. We love the name and God has proven over and over through our clients that this is his hand working through us.
    Please check out the website and let me know if you have questions. We are only here to serve you all. That’s why we put it online. We wanted to reach more than just our small towns around us here in WI. Like the guest poster, we have a mission, a message to get out – it’s the same message! If we can all work together to transform the health and spiritual walk of our nation, one person at a time, Christ can return!!!

• yikes! I am so sorry for posting twice, I thought my computer lost my message when I tried to post the original one. Was not intentionally trying to fire-hose you with the info I wanted to share!

• Kristi, this is the post I meant on my comment to you onFB. So many of your statements resignated with me! I am on such a search! And I do know I will find the plan for me! Yours is TOO RIGID for me girl! Lol! I am all gung=ho for a rigid regimen for my spiritual life! But for this body; I’m not there yet! After reading your post though, I went out for my walk for today, got moving! I am just excited & i thankyou so much for your honesty!

This is so inspiring Kristi!! You are an inspiration! I love seeing your IG pics each day. The Pinterest boards are awesome. I think we sometimes make things harder in my minds than they really are. I love taking baby steps to reach our goals, and it is amazing how little changes and make huge differences!

• Avatar Danielle says:

If you are ready for a lifestyle change I have really enjoyed Holly Rigsby’s Club FYM. It focuses on cleaning up your diet, strength & intervals in 90 min a week. Very doable even for busy moms & well differentiated to challenge beginners to very fit individuals. http://Www.clubfym.com

• […] said it again and again.  I struggle with my weight and my health.  While I’d like to think it’s just a […]