7 True Things About You

By September 17, 2012Get Inspired

20120917-071841.jpg

Because I Said So!

You hated hearing it growing up. You said you’d never say it.

But then you were tired and they talked back one too many times

…and you said it.

The infamous, reviled, yet oh-so-useful mother of all parental comebacks:

“Because I said so!”

Sometimes our kids can’t see past their own misfortune. Sometimes they are just too immature to understand. Sometimes they’re just stubborn and won’t listen to reason.

And so we resort to the final truth. We, the parents, the ultimate authority in that situation have declared it so.

And so it is.

BECAUSE I SAID SO!

There is no argument.

I Wonder…

I wonder if God is saying “Because I said so!” to us. When we can’t see past our own perceived misfortune, when we are too immature to understand, or when we are just too stubborn and won’t listen to reason.

Because *He* said so. This is who He says you are.

All your comebacks and arguments fall on deaf ears. He spoke the Earth into existence. He has the final word.

These things are true about you…

Because He Said So

1. You are incomprehensibly loved. (Romans 8:38-39)
Just as you are, more than you could ask or imagine, you are loved. No ifs, ands, buts, or maybe-when-I-finallys about it.

2. You are inherently valuable. (John 3:16)
Hold your head high. Pull your shoulders back. Pure heaven came to messy earth – for you.

3. You always have hope. (Acts 2:25-28)
His name is Redeemer. Nothing is too bad, too sad or too hard for Him to make new, fresh, right, holy. Nothing. No matter what you may feel or think. No one is beyond the grasp of the One who created him.

4. Hope always has you. (Zeph 3:17)
No matter how far away you might feel. The distance is yours, not His. He’s just waiting for you. He always has. He always will.

5. You have nothing to fear. (Psalm 23:4)
“Fear knocked at the door. Love answered; no one was there.” – Old English Proverb

6. You have a specific purpose. (Jeremiah 29:11)
Find Him and you’ll find it.

7. You have been equipped to fulfill that purpose. (2 Corinthians 9:8)

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. – 2 Cor. 9:8

God didn’t just drop you and run and hope for the best. He walks with you, holding your hand. He is an ever faithful instructor, teacher and benefactor giving you all you need to do all He asks.

What truth do you need to believe today – just because He said so? Click here to join the discussion!

About Kat Lee
Kat is a writer, speaker and the reigning CandyLand champion in her home. She writes in third person when composing bios for her blog. Kat loves running, God and Tex Mex food, not necessarily in that order. ​

Originally shared December 2010.

Comments

• Kimmomof4boys says:

Thank you. The truth of God’s word spoke the encouragement I needed today!

• Lel says:

When God speaks, He truly speaks straight to my heart.

I prayed and begged for God to help me get through tonight. He answered clearly through your post. Thank you for your sharing your gift of writing.

May God bless you more!

• Amen and spread the word! I think so many people have forgotten these truths!

• Beth says:

If my end goal as a parent is to never say “Because I said so!” and to always be patient and understanding, even when I’m stressed–I take a deep breath and offer that mommy is tired and I need you to do this to help me… if I can do that as a stressed mom and am capable of it as a human, then how much even less so is God who is all knowing and all powerful capable of an explanation???

I find this analogy severely lacking. Because I said so is not in my parenting vocabulary because as a parent I can choose to do without it. And if I can offer the best explanation available for my son, then wouldn’t an all loving and all knowing God be able to do the same?

Oh wait, that’s why I’m an atheist. Because I believe that if there was an all-knowing, loving God–that he should be able to at least do for his children what I can do for mine.

• Martha says:

Though I agree with you that if our goal is to be patient and understanding parents, then ‘because-I-said-so’ shouldn’t be in our parental vocabulary. However, we are human and we are bound to make a mistake sometime. Maybe it’s not ‘because-I-said-so’, but something similar, with the same meaning. It’s bound to happen. No one’s perfect.

• Kat Lee says:

Beth,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts.

The idea behind the post was to encourage women to believe these wonderful truths about themselves without belittling themselves, as women often do. My hope was to help women take God at His Word (His explanation, if you will)….that they are loved, valuable…etc.

The scripture references following each truth were meant to provide the proof of each encouragement. Those scriptures are only a fragment of the explanations God gives for His love for us and therefore our value found in the Bible.

I can’t change your thoughts about God and I won’t try to, I’m sure that’s annoying when people do. All I can do is keep sharing what He’s done in my life here on the blog. Thank you for stopping by, sharing your heart and challenging me to clarify my writing.

I am better for it. You are welcome here anytime.

-Kat

• Beth says:

Thanks for your friendly response and clarification, I appreciate that. And yes, I live in the bible belt and people attempt to convert me daily. They haven’t had much luck yet, because I ask too many questions for which they don’t have answers. Then, they come find me after talking to their pastor with the answers to find that they are simply circular. They promise to return again and they usually do so with very thick books that I then read, but because they haven’t read the books themselves–they don’t understand the arguments. There are only a select few arguments a person can make for Christianity that are solid and I wish more people knew them. May I suggest reading the Christian delusion? Its a book on atheism but the first seven chapters lay out arguments for christianity far beyond what I hear on a weekly basis. I think it should be required reading for every christian. That being said, I will check back to your blog because of your sweet, well-thought out response. Have a great day!

• Martha says:

Interesting words of encouragement.

• Belinda jordan says:

Hi Kat sorry i havent stayed in touch ,for such a long time, my life has been a bit up and down. ………….you know what i mean . i love to share my life with you a bit more ,i trust jesus will give me more time ,love belinda .

• Jennifer says:

You are such a blessing! Beyond all you can think or imagine! 🙂