Why You Were A Great Mom This Week!

By August 17, 2012Encouragement

FYI: I had a few guest posts go up this week on various blogs. Check them out if you get a chance. I hope they encourage you:
Why Parents Need More Sleep and How to Get It
One thing more important than a mentor
I’m Done Living A WalMart Life

I Don’t Think I’m The Only One

My house was an absolute wreck.

Packing peanuts e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. I desperately needed to mop (still do) and I hadn’t seen the bottom of my sink in two days. My email inbox is in the triple digits and we had cereal for dinner twice this week.

“Ugh…what’s wrong with me?! Why am I the worst mom in the world?!”

Perhaps it was a little “Anne of Green Gables” of me, but I’ve thought it before. Perhaps weekly in moments of self frustration.

Have you ever thought that?

As moms, we Β can be so critical of ourselves. We want to be better so we constantly look at what we are doing wrong and rarely take the time to look at what we’re doing right.

But the fact is, if you’re taking the time to read blogs about motherhood, then you’re an awesome one. You want to learn and grow.

Tell Us What You Did Right

Today, I want to challenge you to tell us one thing you did GREAT this week as a mom.

Maybe it was:

• cooking dinner
  • playing a game with your kids
  • praying for your children
  • getting out of bed with a smile
  • being patient even just once when you didn’t feel like it
  • having a good conversation with one of your children
  • snuggling

It can be absolutely anything, big or small. I just want you to take time to think about what you do well, because you do A LOT well. No, you’re not perfect. None of us are. But let’s all get in the habit of giving ourselves as much credit as we do critique.

Tell us! What is one thing, big or small, that you did well this week? Click here to share in the comments! (I’ve shared mine there as well).

Comments

• I successfully ran five errands with my new baby and got in lots of cuddle time!

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

I had a couple great heart to heart conversations with one of my children in particular…

…and I let my son play make a mess with packing peanuts. He thought it was kind of awesome.

• Avatar Jessica W says:

Thank you for this. So simple yet so life-changing to shift our focus from all we did wrong to all we did right. Despite several battles of will with my 4 year old (and several moments where I was less than “great”), I purposed to be patient, love her lavishly and spend time gently talking to her about her attitude. It’s Friday and I believe we’ve turned this week around. Praise God!

• Avatar Aubrey says:

Even when I was waaay done with the day. I layed in bed with our son and heard about his day at school. Cool things like the desk fairy, how he is almost the tallest and darkest ? person in his class and how he helps his new friend with her chair every day because he’s so much stronger. The. Best.

thanks for this!

• Avatar Katie says:

I got up at 6:45 am this morning to pray and prepare for the day before the kids got up and then this morning after breakfast I put a pot of lentil/veggie soup on the stove for lunch πŸ™‚

• Avatar Siew says:

I swept and mopped the floor (once) and cooked dinner (once) for the family. Fantastic me πŸ˜€

• Avatar Catherine Story says:

I have been trying to figure out what my little guy is allergic to….so far we are nut free and dairy free and this week we are gluten free – and he is feeling MUCH better……..yay! The kitchen is a mess cause I have been figuring out what to make him, but he is feeling great, yay:)

• Avatar Sara H says:

Oh, I know what you mean. Our third has celiac but figuring it out and getting the diet right was soooo difficult. I hope you’ve found your son’s problem. Good job trying to help him.

• Avatar RBR says:

Good job! We’re a family of 6 GFCFSF, mostly organics, no dye, no artificial flavors, no eating out (to avoid X-contamination) so I know how difficult it is in the beginning πŸ™‚ We’ve been biomed x3 years now and I promise, it does get easier. The benefits you will see healthwise exceedingly outweigh the cons!!! Kudos to you for taking hold of your family’s health.
      It’s been a tough week here, and I must admit I have not been as patient as usual…I haven’t done a lot of things well (feeling convicted), but I was patient for about 30 minutes yesterday (grand total for the week) when I found:
      *my 18 month old and our carpet graffitied in black permanent marker (btw, tea tree oil takes Sharpie right off the skin! Still working on the carpet though….)
      *my kitchen turned topsie-turvy b/c my 10 yr. dd was making homemade GFCFSF cookies, frosting, and decorations for herself and a neighbor (who can get upset though? she did an amazing job at baking and laying out a beautiful spread for her friend πŸ™‚ Melt my anxious heart.

• Avatar Bethany says:

I didn’t flip out when my oldest came home from school (on the second day of the second week) having lost all of his recess because he broke every rule. Last year would have been a different story, but I have lived and learned. The next day he returned to school and turned it around. I hope that was because I talked calmly to him about everything. That is literally my ONE thing that I am proud of this week!

• Avatar Christie says:

This week I came to the realization that even if I can’t change the kind of person my kid is (reasonably of course) I can change who I am. Just because he tends to be miserable doesn’t mean I have to be miserable. And you know what? I’ve had a little more patience, smiled a little more, and found a little more joy as a result. And I haven’t yelled in over 24 hours. A record!

• Avatar Christy says:

I took advantage of an unexpected night off from football practice and let my daughter have 2 friends over for a last-minute sleep-over. I have 2 boys who play football and this time of year is very busy for us. My only daughter loves to watch her brothers play, but gets frustrated when football stuff interferes with her sleepovers. We even took a walk to Dairy Queen for dessert….which is something she loves to do when she has friends over. But tight budgets don’t let it happen very often.

• Avatar Laura says:

Read books with my 3 year old before going to work this morning.

• Avatar Sara H says:

Patient with the teenager…especially while working on school…1/2 the time. πŸ™‚ I haven’t completely flipped in the last two weeks despite the fact that it’s been in the triple digits (we have no A/C) and heat generally makes me very impatient. I really thank God for this change. I know it is He who has worked in my life to bring me to this point.

• Avatar Diane says:

I read this,I thought about it and started listing the individual things I did for my teenagers.I didn’t think I would be able to come up with many but then,once I actually stopped an thought about it, my list became too long! Thank you for making me stop and actually reflect on the past week! I am pretty awesome!

• Avatar Grietjie Thorne says:

We are in the middle of a very cold and wet winter here in Cape Town, South Africa, and this week I fought the cabin fever by bringing out the paint. Every. Day. I let them paint LARGE on sheets of paper on the tiles of the dining room floor. I let them use my soft pastels. I made warm cornflour paint for finger painting. I made shaving cream paint for bath time last night. And I put their artwork up for display in our dining room. Still think I did way more bad than good, but thanks for this opportunity to remember that I didn’t blow it altogether this week..

• Avatar Marty Larson says:

This was hard since I’ve been sick this week, and frankly, doing as little as possible. However, as I’ve been resting, I’ve been surfing the web, and checking out blogs I’ve never seen, and found a lot of information to implement in our lives to make our day to day easier. Ways to encourage my new high school freshman, and my 7th grader who are great kids, but have their days.No great surprise there, right? Reaffirming the positive and encouraging them in the little things.

• Avatar Lizzy says:

I made dinner 3 nights in a row!!! There is a really bad flu going around our town at the moment and my husband and I have been the worst affected in our household. I was proud of myself on Monday night, quite chuffed for Tuesday’s efforts and even though Wednesday’s was fruit, mixed with yoghurt, eggs, sugar, and flour (okay so I made pudding!) I still cooked it… Thanks for the reminder to focus on what we did good!

• Rather than argue to death over things, I let the kids each pick their own breakfast as a treat! As a treat to me, they ALL picked the same thing. haha! Sometimes when you let go the kids give back kindness. πŸ™‚ I also made a promise to my oldest that we would be nicer to each other, no more angry voice and more hugs. So far, not perfect, but a bit better!

• Avatar Christy says:

I was able to teach my 6 yr old son te patter on the piano key board when his piano teacher couldn’t!!!!!! That was so rewarding to know my son well enough to tweak the lesson so he could get it!!! Of course, I wish it were that easy to get through To him to pick up his room:) thanks for this post and for all you are doin for us moms out here!! Thanks for being our cheerleader!!

• Avatar Christy says:

* the pattern on the keyboard….why does autocorrect correct things I don’t want corrected and not correct the things that should be??!!

• Avatar Jessika says:

This week my son and I had lots of snuggle time and a great talk about contentment and I remembered to give my 11yr old daughter lots of encouraging words and hugs.

• Avatar Amy says:

I went to the store early yesterday with my 10 mo. old baby (#8 of 8 πŸ™‚ Came home and put together a crock pot dinner because my 12 year old daughter (#2) had soccer practice last night. That is huge because I rarely make dinner (blessed because my husband takes care of dinner). Thanks Kat πŸ™‚

• Avatar Becky Hall says:

This week, I took a moment to write a note to each of my children letting them know 5 reasons why I am proud of them. I managed to cook several balanced meals and tried to hug and/or hold them several times a day.

• Avatar Andrea says:

I made a “real” dinner rather than just a quick dinner. I made up a story to tell my kids in order to avert a crying fit (the crying stopped at “Once upon a time…”). And I pulled out a storybook at lunchtime to stop the complaining. Maybe next week I’ll do each of these things twice!

• Avatar maddalena70 says:

Ohh Kat i’m trying so hard to be a better mom and trying to think to the right things I do instead of the lots and lots of tihngs I make wrong..
    Today I have been patiente with y girls also when I was not inside my soul…
    And for me it’ has been a great achievement…

Cheers

Maddalena

• I made time for a play date even though I still feel icky from the first trimester.

• Avatar christi says:

I mad GF pizza from scratch and let the 4yo put the toppings on!

I also had a sleepover with my bff and her 3 kids. And the next day had 11 kids in my pool/house!

• Avatar Katie says:

I read out loud everyday to them, listened to them read, and started an embroidery project with my daughter.

• Avatar NCJill says:

I caught fireflies with my 8-year old last night. When we let them go from the jar she dramatically said, “Oh, they grow up SO fast”. πŸ™‚

And, oh yes, we dropped off my Freshman son at LIberty University. Yes, indeed, they sure DO grow up fast.

• Avatar Suzanne says:

Oh my goodness! What a great and timely post! I was focusing on my mistakes but the truth is that I’ve done many things on your list this week! Maybe I’m a better mom than I thought! My favorite was playing in the kiddie pool with my 4 and 1 year old.

• Avatar Katie says:

I painted my youngest’s nails while the older girls were at school!

• Avatar Kate says:

Despite my lack of organization for the school year so far.. I have managed to get my 3 kids to school on time, sign and turn in all the appropriate papers, and have a delicious afternoon snack waiting for them when they get off the bus!

• Avatar yetty says:

I was able to sit with the children and read from the bible with to them after which we discussed a picture in the bible together which showed Jesus walking on water and counted the 12 disciples shown in the boat as well. I have been vowing to read at least a verse from the bible everyday and glad I was able to do it!

• Avatar lyn says:

Thanks for this! I was super busy with yard work this week(finally a break from the heat) , and didn’t spend as much one-on -one time with my kiddos as I would have liked,. BUT…I released them from chores and didn’t say anything when they were playing ball in the middle of the road (small town living at it’s best!), I saved the lecture when the oldest needed stitches, and I allowed my 10-year-old 2 sleepovers this week!

• Avatar Bronda says:

First off, WAY TO GO MOMMAS!!!!!! Kat, thank you for helping us turn our focus around.

I helped my oldest (17, senior in HS this year) figure out strengths and weaknesses related to her leadership. We had a really good, honest discussion about where she can improve and where she already does great.

I apologized to my 2-year-old when I snapped at her because my patience was thin after a difficult day at work. My husband thinks I’m crazy for apologizing to my children, but I figure how will they learn to apologize if they don’t see it modeled for them?! My little one and I got a good snuggle time out of it, too! πŸ™‚

I love being a mom! No, I don’t always get it right, but thanks to Kat’s encouragement, I plan on trying to focus much more on what DOES go right, what I do well, and let the “not-so-goods” go by the wayside.

• Avatar Nikki says:

Took my son on his very first roller coaster ride. And it was joyful, and he giggled and I’ll always remember it.

• Avatar Crystal says:

It’s pretty funny that you asked because my kids actually brought to my attention something good I did this week. When I’m wearing my ‘mom ears’, and I hear any sort of communication that sounds like bickering, before even asking what’s going on, I usually just yell ‘Knock it off!’ LOL. And they get pretty frustrated because sometimes they aren’t arguing. But yesterday, while I was doing the dishes, I heard what sounded like whining/arguing, so I left the sink and walked over and just asked “Is everything okay in here? Are you guys being nice to each other?” And they said “Yes, mom…we were just talking about this.” And then a few minutes later, my daughter Morgan goes, “Oh…and at least you checked first before just yelling ‘Knock it off.” And I said, “See? Progress!!” haha.

• Avatar Tara says:

This week I put down my to-do list and went on a date with my kids. We went to the pool and stayed until 9:00 at night.

• Avatar Adie says:

We went on a picnic yesterday for our last “Daddy Day” of the summer (my husband’s day off is Thursday but they miss him when they’re in school). I let my 8 year old pick the menu, and he chose “sausage-y rolls” just like they eat in Charlie & Lola. I googled the recipe and figured it out and also made “sausage-y squares” for my GF son. They all loved it, and we had a special goodbye to summer celebration.

• Avatar Amy says:

Let them ride bikes on the road… and tried to keep up with them. LOL
    Cooked my son’s favorite dinner – Chicken and dumplins

• Avatar Nicole says:

I taught my oldest how to tie her shoes!

• Avatar Rebecca says:

I simplified several of my “big projects” for this big weekend of baby shower & family reunion, in order to prevent stressed-out-insane Mama syndrome. And, I can hardly believe it, but… it worked!

• Avatar Amanda says:

I loved when our family built an ikea bookshelf together in my son’s room this week. The boys loved helping out, and it was completed with such harmony!! I wish every moment was harmonious like that one!

• Avatar Stephanie says:

Thanks, Kat! This was so encouraging! This week I got to sit down with each of my four older children and have a big one on one talk about heart issues and attitude and praying to Jesus to give us grace and strength to obey and be kind. I made fruity popsicles. I scooped ice cream into Keebler cones for afternoon snack (for the first time ever! I am not usually that fun!!), and we sat down to watch part one of Anne of Green Gables together, at which point my son points out that I am “nothing like Mrs. Hammond, not one stitch”, at the very moment I wanted to crawl under the play rug cause I thought her screaming tirade resembled my stern lecture that morning a wee bit too much!

They love us. They think we are beautiful. They think we are smart and funny and creative and awesome. Thanks for the reminder!!

• Avatar Andrea says:

This week with my son starting school and me starting a new job, the possibility of the schedule being shifted and things being forgotten was highly likely. But, even with the bumps in the road, we managed to keep a somewhat consistent schedule and remember what is most important, especially at bed time. I am proud that we have kept up with story time at bed, but even more so that we keep prayer time as part of that bed time routine. My reward came from my son after I had prayed for him and put him to bed – I always have to “sit for one minute” in his room after I turn out the light (it comforts him). In the dark, he all the sudden spoke up and said he wanted to say a prayer for me – he did and it was the sweetest thing I have heard and touched my heart in so many ways. I am so proud of the little man he is becoming!

• Avatar Bekah says:

I made dentist appts. πŸ™‚ And cuddled with my 3-year-old when I “should have been” making dinner (ended up using up some leftovers, yay!). Also played with my son who was pretending to be a donkey. And got lots of strange OJ drinks with vit C, ALJ, probiotics etc. for my daughter who had a cold/small fever yesterday. I guess I didn’t totally blow this week! πŸ™‚ Thanks, Kat!

• Avatar Amy says:

I had a tickle fest with my daughter after a long day, got in some really great bear hugs with my teen boys too.

• Avatar Julie says:

I let the messy house go today and have let my daughter create, change costumes, and dance around with abandon. It’s been the best day because I have focused on her instead of trying to do everything perfectly today. It’s the reason I became a SAHM to participate in our day joyfully and freely with my kids instead of directing and dictating with impatience. I am so glad to be reminded of that today.

• Avatar Nicole says:

This week I rocked our first week of homeschooling, kept the house semi clean and managed to keep my cool most of the time. But my best mama moment came last night. As I got comfortable in bed my 11 yr old daughter said she couldn’t sleep. Well at first I said just lay down and go to sleep, but then I was reminded that life is short. So I drug my tired body out of bed and went and laid with her, talking and singing. She wΓ s ready for bed in 5min but I got a special moment with a girl that want be a lil girl for long.

• Avatar Berni says:

This week I had some good quality conversation with my son (who’s 20) about how to help him and his sweet girlfriend cope with their long-distance relationship. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Lauren Nicole says:

I yelled at my daughter less this week. I stayed as calm as possible when she was throwing fits and having meltdowns. I was mindful about making sure I did not yell and did my best to remain under control.

• Avatar Katie says:

After working lots of long hours this week, I took my toddler-girl out for an ice cream date. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Sharon says:

I was away from my daughter for the afternoon (a rarity) and took the time to let her sit in my lap and tell me about her afternoon as soon as I walked in the door.

• Avatar Jennifer says:

As the kids were eating their haphazard dinner (scrambled eggs and toast, labeled “Breakfast for Dinner”) I was catching up on my blogs through my Reader. My son asked me “Mom, can you come eat with us” – so I immediately stopped reading, went and sat at the counter and just talked with the kids. Then grabbed the 6 letters he’s working on in Kindy and we played word games. They were having so much fun they didn’t even know they were learning. Then I came back to my blogs, and now he’s asked me to play Ninjago Spinners with he and his sister -so see ya later!

• Avatar Jennifer says:

I played on the floor with my 14 month old even though I didn’t feel well and would have rather been curled up with a good book. Also have been meal planning and cooking more for my family. Creates more dishes but makes me feel good that I’m providing strong nutrition for them!

• Avatar Carrie Smith says:

Well, we’ve been vacationing all week in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. We had an AMAZING VIEW of the Smokies!!! And there were two ziplines that we watched all week going straight through the mountains by our cabin. I was dying to go on them, along with my thirteen year old son and husband. My ten year old daughter knew how much I wanted to go and told me that I could go with the boys and she would be fine at the cabin without us. I know she meant it but I just couldn’t do it. I felt that she needed me to choose her over going on that amazing zipline trip. I sorta felt that it would mean alot to her because as much as I was dying to soar through the smokies on the longest ziplines in the US, that’s right, 4 1/2 miles long and 400 feet above and through the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee…….I chose to be with her. We watched the guys and took pics of them. Then we went back to our cabin and made popcorn, found a “brackets” app on my iPhone, and planned our Pool Tounament. Then we sat in the jacuzzi tub in our swimsuits and talked til time to crash. (I had gotten so hot in the hot tub the night before that I had turned the temp down too low and we couldn’t stand to stay in!)
    Sorry for writing this book, but we are three hours into our 14 hr trip home and I don’t want to leave TN and also have lots of time on my hands:)

• Avatar Leslie says:

This was so me this week! One day I thought “I’ve showered, started laundry and dishwasher, can’t I be done for the day?” My house was recked most days but my daughter was happy and busy learning. Such a good week for her, but I was not on top of housework!

• Avatar K8yk8yk8y says:

I tended my 4 yr old grandson so that his older sibs could cheer on their Mommy (my daughter) in her first 5k race.
    We made rainbow rice together and created a “sensory tub” -which he loved!
    I copied this idea from my daughter in law. What is important about that is that I think that sometimes with all the pinterest postings that even though its meant to be a board of sharing, and even though an idea can appeal to us, if we have seen a friend or family member do it, we tend to think ‘hands off’ and we don’t do things that we would love to do. Or alternatively, we feel like we can’t live up to the wonderful world of pinterest.
    Am I the only one who thinks this at times?
    I decided to ignore that today and copied away! And it was a delightful experience!

• I took time to take them to the corner store to spend some of their money on candy even though my day was packed. I took time to take my eldest to Game Stop to see if his game was in, even though they said they would call when it was. I took them to the library and was more flexible about what they could read for school. All small things but, I know its the small things that are meaningful.

• Avatar Jenn says:

This week I had a great heart to heart with my 10yr. old and after setting up tutoring for my 11 yr. old was able to convince him to give the new tutor a chance before he decides if he likes her. (Changes can be difficult for all of us.) I’m going to make a real effort not to be so critical of myself.

• Avatar Eduarda says:

I am a full time working mom (I am a teacher), facing unemployment in about two weeks for the first time in my life. I am 39 and my girls are six and four. We are currently in school summer break, so we’re all home, except for daddy, who will be finally off work tomorrow. I don’t play with them as much as I would like. I simply don’t have the energy. The one thing I do every single night is snuggle in bed with them – one at a time – and read to them. Then, they tell about what they will until they fall asleep. I feel terrible about myself.

• Avatar Carrie Smith says:

We’ve all been there. There are days I feel like the crappiest mom ever. Then days I feel like the best mom ever. I used to work way more hours than I do now and I did the same thing as you: snuggled at night with them for a bit and talked. Both my kids still want me to lay down with them at night, even my almost 14 yr old son! It turned in to a very special bonding time. Cheer up. God’s at work in your life even if you can’t see it now. He’s planting seeds. Hang in there and keep praying hard. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

I followed your advice and we did a special day with one child (but instead of 5 year old trip we did going into Kindergarten) and went to Sea World!

• Avatar Deborah says:

I was ok with having a friend over last minute for a sleepover with my daughter. Ususally I need MUCH more time/notice to be ok with stuff like that. Also, I made an amazing homemade Greek meal (Pork Souvlaki, greek salad and rice) for dinner on friday… sooooo good!!

• Avatar su says:

I’ve tried again…..and keep on trying.

• Avatar Dawn says:

I spent an afternoon with my Bug going geocaching through a crazy close by park that we never knew was even there! Had a great time walking through this beautiful park, awesome conversation, fresh air–saw deer and rabbits and a huge blue heron…Great day.

• Avatar Katy says:

I’m late posting because we actually had a computer free weekend which was nice because it was unplanned. Had a gagage sale this weekend and managed to pick up the Whole house even the basement. On Sunday I cooked 3 meals, once a day is usually it for me as a full time WOTH mom. The kids had a great time a the church ice cream social as well which was fun for all of us.

• Avatar Michelle says:

My 2 year old daughter and I successfully made cookie dough then cookies while making up new fishy faces to show eachother πŸ™‚

• Avatar Deanna says:

I read to my little girl and made her a mini “cake”.

• Avatar Jenn D. says:

Today I got up a bit early. My 8 yr old son and I read 1 John ch1 together. I plan to read with at least one of my children each day. I hope to get insight from them and help them create a habit of reading the bible as well. It’s kinda cool to see what they have to say about the bible reading. Not something I’ve done before but plan to continue. I hope to get full blown discussions going with them eventually.

• Avatar Rach says:

I jogged for 45 minutes & pegged out the laundry instead of using the dryer. I ticked and kissed my daughters and enjoyed their giggles.