KEPT by the power of God {1 Peter Study}

An old sign hung in my parent’s house for years. Growing up, I never understood what it meant, or what it was for. All I knew is that it also had also hung in my great-grandparent’s home, and it reminded my dad of his fun summer vacation days visiting their Kentucky home.

“Kept by the power of God.”

I assumed it meant something good, but after being immersed in 1 Peter for months, I get it.

I am kept; all I am, all I have, and I will be hinges on one thing.

God’s power.

This week in our study, we read through the book of 1 Peter. What a rich set of verses! As we fly over the book for a bird’s eye view, here are a few themes we will all discover together over the weeks to come. What rich truths we have to claim!

Here are four transformational truths weaved throughout the book of 1 Peter. All of these truths are dependent on the power of God in our lives!

Keep focused on Christ.

Life is hard. Scripture promises it will be harder for those who follow Christ, but I have not been sent into the fire alone.

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. (1 Peter 2:21 ESV)

Jesus is my example of how to walk through any fire my loving Father allows. Even though Christ desired to avoid unnecessary suffering, He chose to walk into the fire, confident it was His Father’s good plan.

The Father knew best; the son obeyed perfectly.

Let’s keep our eyes on Jesus.

Eternal security is possible.

In a world full of broken promises and shattered dreams, it is hard to imagine any sort of commitment lasting for eternity. There is much debate—even in Christian circles—as to whether or not a covenantal relationship with God can be broken.

We won’t get very far in our study before we hear Peter’s heart on this.

According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is IMPERISHABLE, UNDEFILED, and UNFADING, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
(1 Peter 1:3-5 ESV)

I am chosen. An adopted child of God. Royalty. That can’t be undone!

My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. (John 10:29 ESV)

I am kept safely in His powerful hands.

Persevere through the race.

Endurance to the end of this difficult race of obedient living is proof of the keeping power of God in my life. Not because I am the super-Christian, but because He has enabled me to finish this race well. Even when I am weary and want to give up, His strong hands keep me like a parent keeping their little one safely on the swing.

The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded . . . by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 4:7,11 ESV)

Perseverance doesn’t mean I never stumble and fall, it means I get up—by the strength that God supplies—and start running again!

Tell of God’s glory through obedient living.

I have choices to make. These choices do not lead to my salvation—I am already eternally secure in Christ, remember? But if my life looks no different next year than it does today there is a problem.

“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct…”(1 Peter 1:14-15 ESV)

I must remember I am still on this earth for a purpose—to make God known through reflecting His holiness! The way I live my life, raise my children, love my husband, and serve my community is all an opportunity to show off the holiness of Christ and the power of His work in my life.

Do you believe you are eternally secure in Christ?

Are you going through a difficult time and need to refocus your eyes on Christ?

Did you read 1 Peter this week? What did you see in your “fly over” of the book?

Let’s chat in the comments!

script type=”text/javascript”>
document.write(‘<script type=”text/javascript” src=http://www.inlinkz.com/cs.php?id=187312&’ + new Date().getTime() + ‘”></script>’);

HelloMornings

About Katie
Jesus-lover. Pastor’s wife. Mommy of three. Grace-clinger. Truth-speaker. Auburn fan. Longs to equip others to walk with the Lord for a lifetime. Co-author of Savoring Living Water: How to have an effective quiet time and author of Focused15 Bible studies. Creator of Do Not Depart where you can receive encouragement and tools to abide in God’s Word.

Comments

• […] over at Inspired to Action today, with four big-picture truths from 1 Peter. Kat, Lara, and I will be rotating each Friday […]

• Avatar Louise says:

I am challenged to face the weaknesses in my life – and allow His strength to be made perfect.

• Avatar Katie Orr says:

Yes! His strength IS made perfect in our weakness! Sometimes feels easier to just try to face it in my strength . . . but that doesn’t usually end well. 🙂

• Avatar Debbie says:

This week it’s been a struggle just to get TO the Bible study, but I LOVE studying I Peter and it is impacting me every time I read it. I think the subjects of holiness and living above reproach were what has jumped out most at me this week.

Understanding that those who are bound by “deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech” watch those of us who are “a chosen people… royal priests, a holy nation, God’s VERY OWN POSSESSION” and we need to live a life that stands up to foolish accusations and falsehoods. Not just people we know, but our own CHILDREN – that’s what God really drove home to me in these verses in I Peter 2.

Also, I am always intrigued by the difference between Scriptural instruction and social injustice. Slaves are instructed to authority, even cruelty, in order to please God. I think that flies in the face of a lot of what society pushes and shouts out about.

It’s not that we should not speak out for the abused, but rather that we should understand that cruelty happens and God is pleased when we live for Him despite injustice that is done to us.

• Avatar Bobbey M says:

It’s been a rough week and I’ve barely been able to get up and out of the house on time. But I’ve found time to sit down and catch up on 1 Peter. I need this study and I’m determined not to fall behind. I loved 1 Peter 2:25 because it *completely* tied in to what I’d study in my women’s small group the night before I read it. I just love how God works like that! “For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.”

• Avatar Katie Orr says:

I’m glad you felt like you could catch up easily! We’ve designed the study to be flexible enough that you could do it in one sitting, or spread it out and go deeper each day, if you have time.

I love it when the Lord ties in what we are studying through different venues!

• […] post is linked with others from the Hello Mornings tribe at Inspired to Action. Enter your email address to receive the latest stories specially delivered from my heart to your […]

• Avatar Tabby Deitrick says:

The idea of being eternally secure in my salvation through my faith is a very new concept to me. I no longer attend a church (bad experiences), but the one I came from tells me that I have X-amount of rules, guidelines and milestones within the faith that I have to abide by in order to be saved. It was something that never really set right with me…especially as I have worked hard to evolve and become a better person over the years, to follow more closely in Christ’s steps…I never believed all of that effort and change could be in vain just because I didn’t abide by “x, y or z” in the church.
    That particular part of this post really hit home for me and means a great deal to my heart.

• Avatar Katie Orr says:

Tabby, the Bible is incredibly clear that salvation is BY FAITH alone, THROUGH CHRIST alone.

It is also clear that those who are truly children of God will experience life change, but often people put the cart before the horse.

We do not earn our salvation, but our salvation enables us to do good.

I am blessed by your comment, and humbled to know the Lord has encouraged your heart by this post. I hope you’ll enjoy the rest of our time together in 1 Peter!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!