How To Be Nice In The Morning – a Video Story

I used to be pretty grumpy in the morning. Now I’m not (usually). Here’s why.
(RSS and email readers, click here to watch the video.)

This is a video of what He has done in my life through the simple act of giving my first moments to Him. (The video was recorded in 2010…and I still have and wear that hat often. Maybe I need a #HelloFashion Challenge?)

Download the free Maximize Your Mornings ebook here. or learn more about the MYM Challenge here.)

Stand In The Rain

With the HelloMornings Challenge registration in full swing (we currently have over 2,100 registered!) I want to share my HelloMornings story and why I’m so passionate about you meeting with Jesus each day.

I could write a hundred how-to posts about Bible Study, exercise and planning, but not one would have the potential to transform your life like 5 minutes with Jesus.

Because blogs, Bible study books, Christian books, sermons and any other resource you can think of – they are the thunder, they are not the rain. (This is a phrase Ann Voskamp shared at the Allume blog conference last year.)

All of the words I write on this blog and share online are just empty rumblings unless I am pointing you to life giving time with God.

He loves you, He has a powerful purpose for you and He wants to flood every area of your life with hope.

It is never too late, you are never too far gone and you cannot fail one too many times. His grace is endless.

2 Simple Keys to Maximizing Your Mornings

It took me a long time to develop the habit of getting up early. If you’re struggling with it, here are two keys:

1. Take it SLOW. Just get up 5 minutes earlier and pray. Once that’s a habit, add 5 more minutes and read the Bible. Add on from there. They say it takes 21 days to create a habit, so don’t feel rushed.

2. The morning DOES NOT have to be your MAIN Bible reading, prayer, exercise or planning time. You can just do 5 minutes of one or 5 minutes of each and have your main Bible Study, workout or planning times at night or at another time during the day. The morning, though, is a key time to focus our hearts and lives on these important building blocks.

You are amazing. God is amazing-er — times infinity. (It’s my blog, I can make up word if I want to. Shazaam! )

Give Him 5 loaves and fish, or minutes in the morning and He can do miracles with it.

Share Your Story

Do you have a story about how spending consistent time with God has changed your life in big or small ways? Please share it and inspire others! I’d love to share some of your stories in an upcoming post. Click here to share.

And if you’d like to join a community of women working on this habit together, join us for the HelloMornings Challenge.

Comments

• Avatar Heather says:

He is amazing-er! Thank you for directing my attention to Him each morning. You make great thunder!

• Avatar maddalena70 says:

Kat thank you for sharing your experience in order to encourage us to do the same. . .

If i have to be sincere . . It has been 5 days since i try to get up early in order ro dedicate 5 minutes to God and the Bible study . . But I have to admit that it is very difficult . . Above all because my two little girls have a lot of problem to sleep trough the night at the moment . . So I am quiet tired . .
    I must confess that I read the Bible and my prayers first thing at the office . . .
    But I also discovered a few interesting book as “sacred parenting” ! “Inconditional parenting” and the blog “god centered mom”. . . They are very inspiring. .

And I know that i will never give up and before or later I will have my Hello morning time.

maddalena

Cheers and thanks for your support and incoiragement

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Yes! Heather at God Centered Mom is awesome – I’m so glad she’s been an encouragement to you.

And it definitely gets easier. Just take it slow and don’t give up! You’re doing great Maddelena.

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

And it definitely gets easier. Just take it slow and don’t give up! You’re doing great Maddalena.

• Avatar Shannon says:

I was just lamenting, as I put my daughter in her room for nap, how grumpy I have been this morning. I laid down on my bed and opened up my rss feeder and saw this post. What timely word. Thanks for sharing!

• Avatar Tracy Selle says:

Kat, I love that you point out how the early morning doesn’t have to be your MAIN time for bible study/prayer/exercise.

Sometimes I’m so tired from caring for my son overnight (Type 1 Diabetes) that I can’t get up early.

But I CAN spend a few minutes with Jesus in the morning, even if I slept in later than I intended. It’s all about our heart and He sees that!!

AND I shouldn’t feel guilty on those days. (Still working on that.)

• Avatar Kat Lee says:

Tracy,
      That was an eye opener for me too! I love that all is not lost if I wake up late…I just need to take a minute or two to focus my heart on Him now and I can always make time for Him later in the day.

• Avatar Kacie says:

Your point about how the 5 mins in the morning doesn’t have to be our MAIN Bible study time really made a lot of sense to me. My brain just isn’t there for in-depth study really early, but I CAN read my Bible and a devotional or something when I wake up. The Lord can use that time just the same.

Thank you!

• Thank you for this video. 🙂

I hope to be as sweet and encouraging to my kids as you are to yours. 🙂

• Avatar Amy says:

I tried to watch the video but said I couldn’t acess it! 🙁

• Avatar amy says:

ok! switched computers and got it to work! 🙂
      I loved it! It makes such a good point about being up before our children and being prepared for the day – I’ve been working and challenging myself on this and really feel I can see a difference in my children’s attitudes! Thanks for the encouragement to hang in there!!

• Avatar Tashena says:

Thank uou, onxe again. Kat for postinf this. I saw it the first time and it was such an encourafement to me, evem thoufh I was alreasy getting up early. Now, 2 more childrwn later, I needed this. I dont get up before them often and need to get back to it.
    The best thing I “heard” -you know how the Lord speaks thru different things and people- today was “if i were a kid, what kind of mom would i wamt? a grump or a kind and gracious mom who is loving ans encourafing?” what an incredible tremendous amazing powerful statement you broufht forth. thank uou from the very deepest spot in the nottom of my heart. my heart fwels warm and ready to be a sweet gentle momma today.
    you are such an inspiraration and encoueager!!!
    Many blessings today to you, Dear Kat!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and sorry for all the spelling errors. its too time consuming to go nack and correct…its a nook…so while the words were flowing, i had to keep going
    i jope uou can make sense of my ramblimfs
    🙂

from an emcouraged mom in indiana 😉
    heading out to be intentional and not reactive to my youngin’s…

Yes and yes! on those 2 simple keys for maximizing your mornings!!! Great reminders! And I like exclamation marks!!!!!!

• Avatar Vivienne says:

Kat, thank you!
    I came across your blog a month or so ago and I’ve signed up for this next challenge, but in the back of my mind I’ve been contemplating whether I’ll be able to do it because my 9mth old is still waking for feeds overnight, and my 4yr old is up at 6 sometimes. However, today was definitely a ‘wake up grumpy!’ day, and I almost had a melt down. (my 2yr olds infectious-ness saved me!)
    I’m currently in bed early on a Friday night having what feels like the only space time to myself all week, and I knew there was a video I meant to watch…this! What a perfect example of the Lord calling me back to him and being oh so crystal clear! Your story mirrors mine (even down to my husband working from 6.30-6.30)
    I’m now VERY sure that I can definitely do this! And more importantly the the Lord wants me to. And the words that you speak into your childrens lives made me cry – oh to be that type of mum to my 3 little girls!!!
    Thanks again for inspiring mums all over the world! I’m now off to go find a hello mornings group!

Many Blessings, Viv x

• Avatar Amy says:

Kat,
    May God continue to bless you & guide you to help & inspire us!

Thank you, thank you! Your website and your words/video is “manna from heaven”, exactly the redirection I so desperately need!

Thank you from me and for my children!
    Amy 🙂