A Inspired To Action Podcast and 2 of the BEST Blog Posts I’ve Ever Read…

By May 11, 2012General

Have you registered for the Summer HelloMornings Challenge yet? We start NEXT week. Check it out here.

photo credit

What a week for brilliant writing. In the span of just a couple days, I read one of the funniest blog posts I’ve ever found and also one of the most inspiring.

Normally, I’d now link to each blog post and list it’s title and author, but I’m feeling a little feisty today.

Instead, this post is like one of those boxes of chocolates that has all kinds of creme or nut filling. You just never know what you’re going to get. So here they are:

Really awesome blog post #1

Really awesome blog post #2

Enjoy!

5 Simple Family Fun Nights

I wrote a post over at Motherhood Your Way and it’s filled with some creative and super simple family night ideas. (But you’re not allowed to read this post until you’ve clicked both blog posts above.)

Done reading? Ok. Here it is, “5 Super Simple Family Fun Nights…With A Twist.”

Podcast?

I’m thinking about doing a podcast for Inspired To Action. I’d love to share practical ideas, lots of encouragement, reminders that you’re kind of a big deal and probably some sports analogies for motherhood. You know me….

I think that moms sometimes need to hear that they’re awesome and I think a podcast would be a great way to encourage.

Curious to know if y’all have heard of podcasts (it’s like a radio show, except you can download it to your mp3 player) and/or if that sounds helpful to you?

If there’s enough interest, I’ll get going on it. Give me your thoughts in the comments!!

Comments

• Cathy V says:

would love an inspired to action podcast! what a great idea.

• eRin says:

I love podcasts! I listen to them when I’m driving and the kids are asleep. I would love an inspired to action podcast with sports analogies and big-deal mom reminders!

• Nura N says:

I would love a podcast!!!

• Aimee says:

A podcast? Sheer genius Kat! Please do it!!!

• Amber says:

Would LOVE a podcast!!!! 🙂

• wheelwi says:

A podcast is a great idea!!

• Meagan says:

I started reading Nester’s post yesterday and wasn’t able to finish. Thanks for posting this today because I hadn’t read the very. best. part. Wow.

And yes. I ABSOLUTELY think you should do a podcast! I love podcasts and think you would do a fantastic job! 🙂

• Kat says:

Meagan,
      Wasn’t it sooooo good? Whew…I thought after having been on a trip, I wouldn’t be as wrecked by posts. Wrong…it gets worse/better. 🙂

Just wrote to all my kids tonight.

• Angela Smith says:

YES!! Please do a podcast! I LOVE hearing you speak/share when I have listened in on the Spreecast & when you shared a recording of your speaking to a Mom’s group a few years ago!

• Diane says:

I love podcasts, they keep me company as I fold the mountains of laundry our family constantly produces. I haven’t found that many that I love and so it would be super helpful to add yours to my list!

Is it ok to ask, anyone have any great recommendations? I have more laundry than I have hours of listening! I love the Simple Mom podcast, if you haven’t heard it it’s full of awesome interviews with bloggers.

• Tammy says:

Hi Diane!

I, too, love podcasts and listen while doing ALL chores if possible. I also download books from our library sytem that has digital downloads.You might check to see if your library does that (or they are available other places for free, but not as many current books). I’ve listened to so many parenting/relationship/time management books as well as fiction from there.I LOVE it! Susan Heid from Confident Mom was doing podcasts for awhile, but isn’t doing them right now-however, you can find old podcasts of hers on Itunes. They last about 15 mins.and are great for a little encouragement when you need it. Another really great podcast is Donna Otto’s Homemaker’s by Choice. There are a ton of podcasts there that are ongoing and are SO encouraging and helpful. Definitely check those out! I also listen to Flylady podcasts when I need help motivating to get started with daily tasks or heavy cleaning.. The “Crisis Cleaning” podcast and the “Focus Makes me Fabulous” are on my ITouch at all times! 😀 I also have her Sink Reflections book (downloadable from her website-not free though) on my ITouch at all times when I need a cleaning “coach”. Sometimes I am completely unmotivated and burned out, so all of those things get me going.

I hope some/one of these are of interest to you! I’m so grateful to have these resources!! I’ll let you know if I remember anything else. :/

• Diane says:

Thanks so much!!!! You’ve given me so many places to go for encouragement. And it’s so funny that you mention Confident Mom. I stumbled on her weekly chore checklist recently and have been working from them for about 3 weeks. I had been struggling to find the time to menu plan, cook, keep the house clean and running smoothly, and play with my 3 littles and this calender style checklist has made it so much less stressful. She took the hardest part of the job, deciding what to tackle next, and did it for me. I can’t wait to check out her podcasts!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share! Can’t wait to check out the new podcasts!

• Tammy says:

Your so welcome, Diane! I know just what you mean about fitting it all in and I only have two to manage! 🙂 I get really overwhelmed sometimes and end up getting nothing done, so those things really give me a boost. Hey, speaking of Susan Heid (I, too, have that checklist!), did you see that she is offering her summer calendar today at a discount ($7). It ends today so you might want to check it out. You have to print it, but it has so many great ideas for summer, as well as some other things that come with it. So many times we end up not doing a whole lot through the summer days, so I’m looking forward to getting some kind of schedule/inspiration. I’m stingy with my printer ink, but the pages are pretty! 😀 Hope it’s okay to talk about this here! I think all of these great ladies are “family”!

• Kat says:

Diane,
      Oh, that’s a great question to ask! I love podcast, but all the ones I listen to besides SimpleMom are geeky blogging and business podcasts. I’d love to find more mom ones!

• Tammy says:

Hey Kat, (Warning: long post ahead! Run for coffee/tea!)

Just FYI, I’ve found Donna Otto really helpul. She addresses so many things: mom issues, homemaking, relationships, and how they are all grounded in your relationship with God, etc. And she has a sweet sense of humor that helps. I’m a little bit of an “older” mom (had my first at 39 and second at 42-I’m now knocking at 47), so, I really had to adjust to being an at-home mom. When you’re used to taking care of only yourself for so long, it’s a huge a adjustment, not to mention suddenly changing your whole way of life of many years, leaving work/friends, etc. Anyway, I have obssessively looked for support/guidance/H-E-L-P! through books (particularly audio books!), podcasts, whatever I can find for those times when I need some councel or even a verbal kick in the pants! I’ve been so grateful to stumble upon the things that I have, such as your site! I was up very late one night (this has been my best quiet time for far too long), knowing that I would be exhausted the next day and not at my best for my family. But, always being a night-owl, I just didn’t know how to break the habit, despite my best intentions every night. Four hours at night always appeals to me more than 1-2 hours in the morning at a crazy morning hour. (5 o’ WHAT?!) 😮 Sooooo, I searched and searched for “how to stop staying up late” and “lack of sleep having negative effects on you and your family,” that kind of thing (kick in the pants), and inadvertently found your site! I’m so grateful for that. (Your How to Be A More Patient Mom in Just 24hrs. has been on my fridge for a long time now, btw!) And it’s so strange that when I find someone who I really connect with her message,” she’s often connected in some way to others that have resonated with me. The Simple Mom website is one I found independently from yours, for instance. I was grateful, also, to find Amy McCready through your site. So, I just believe that these “findings” have been meant to be. “When the student is ready, etc.” Anyway, I hope you didn’t mind my earlier references on this discussion board! I just know how it feels to start from scratch and I have put a lot into “the search” over the last seven years. :). Anyway, Donna Otto’s podcast has been great and I’ve also just downloaded a new connection parenting book that I’ve really…well, connected with :/ after reading or looking into many, many parenting books and programs, this book has really clicked for me so far (Rebecca Thompson *cough*). If you’re ever in need of more resources, I’m your girl! 😀 And I’m ALWAYS on the lookout for audio books and podcasts regarding faith, parenting, homemaking, greener/healthier living, time management, marriage (hmmm, I put marriage last…oops). All the things I struggle with and strive for. I’m a research junkie! So, as you might know, I would love to have YOU on my Itouch telling me to “GO TO BED, ALREADY!” or, you know…whatever you feel is appropriate. (I’m sure you will want to say more, but…this would be good too.) And, I’ve asked this before, but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, your ebook would be GREAT to have on audio. Like most of the folks here, I have more time to do tasks (bless my home :D) and listen simultaneously, than to sit and read. Thanks for reading my ramblings, Kat, and thanks for being such a great Human Resource for so many. I need to GO TO BED, ALREADY!

• Maryna says:

I listen to podcasts all the time, I also subscribe to my favorites via itunes. I think it is an excellent idea.

• Melody says:

I would LOVE a podcast form InspiredtoAction. I’ve gotten hooked on the SimpleMom ones, and now I even use them to help me get motivated to exercise in the morning. And I’d just love to hear you share. AND thank you for those amazing links. Laughter, challenge, encouragement, spurring us all on in our faith journey – YOU and your work is an amazing blessing!

• Diane says:

I love the SimpleMom podcast too! They’ve helped me through so many piles of laundry 🙂

• Jan says:

Please do a podcast! I think it would be amazing! I could certainly use your wisdom. 🙂

• Kate says:

Yes! I am an avid podcast listener – during nap time, while tackling the laundry – and find that avenue informative and inspiring. I would love an Inspired to Action podcast. Great idea.

• I’d love to hear you! I usually only listen to my mp3 player when I am working on a painting or making jewelry. I would download and listen!

• Kat – Love me some pod casts and would definitely listen if you did one!

• Lori Obregon says:

Kat,
    Bring it on! Would love you to have a podcast!!!!
    Blessings,
    Lori

• Kimmomof4boys says:

Decorating Truths from A 15-Year-Old Tanzanian Boy, was YES one of the best blogs I have ever read too! Thank you for sharing. Mom to 4 boys, it hits a nerve. http://www.thenester.com/2012/05/decorating-truths-from-a-15-year-old-tanzanian-boy.html

• Katie says:

I haven’t had too much experience with podcasts, but I’ve really enjoyed Tsh’s over at Simple Mom. I’d love to hear one from you! As long as you include some Olympics analogies 🙂

• Heidi says:

Podcast? Yes please!!!!!

• Diane says:

Just read the two blog posts. Wishing I would have waited to read the Compassion post until after I had picked the kids up from preschool, lol. Going now to throw some cold water on my face and try to regain some composure before leaving the house 😉 Talk about inspiring. And I checked out the monthly cost for sponsoring a child and felt a little sheepish realizing that I just spent that amount this morning on groceries for 1 meal. Humbled.

• Jen Shultz says:

This really struck a chord for me today. I often find myself apologizing for not having a McMansion or for the need of a fresh coat of paint or some other thing when people come to visit. I have everything I need, and so much more than most. I just need a reminder from time to time. Maybe we all do. Psalm 23:1 <3 Thank you for being a consistenly good reminder-er. 🙂

• Rachael says:

Love your blot, Kat and would love a podcast!!!

• Maria says:

I’d love if you did a podcast! I listen to podcasts every night before going to bed. A favorite of mine is the Christian one…Encouragement Cafe.

• Kat says:

Maria,
      Oh, I haven’t heard of that one, I’ll have to check it out. Lately, I’ve been resorting to listening to favorites a second (or third) time through. I think I need to find some new ones!

• Elizabeth says:

I got an itouch for Christmas so sure, I would love to add you to Tim Keller & John Piper 😉

• Trisha says:

You’ve been such an encouragement to me Kat! I would soak up a podcast for sure. Thanks for taking the time 🙂

• Kat says:

Trisha,
      Who knew so many moms listen to podcasts? I’ve been wanting to do one, so I’m super excited to get going on it.

• Erica says:

Podcast- yes!!!

• Katya says:

Here’s a Thank you for your blog all the way from Russia. And Podcast would be soo great and helpful!!!

• Kat says:

Katya,
      Oh, I wish I could impress you with my Russian. Ok. It’s only one phrase, but according to my relative-in-law from Moldova, my accent is pretty good. 🙂 I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the blog and a podcast will be coming soon!

Are you from Russia or are you an ex-pat?

• Katya says:

I am Russian, an ESL teacher and a translator. By profession, but now I am a homemaker and a homeschooler.

• Sandra says:

I would love to listen to an ITA podcast! There are so many times when posts are left in my inbox “to read later” and I never get around to them. With a podcast I could download it and save it for later. Maybe listen to it while driving to an appointment or making dinner. I could even stop it if I had to referee between the kiddos and not miss anything. I have actually been thinking about doing podcast for my audience of moms with special needs children. It is always nice to get encouragement and have your hands free at the same time…just in case you want to do an air fist pump with the podcaster!

• Sarah Parker says:

Yay for a podcast! Will take any and all encouragement!

• Maren Vance says:

Yes! A podcast would be great. I love podcasts because I can learn or get inspired while doing things that require my hands and eyes (like dishes and ironing).

• Kel says:

I love podcasts 🙂

• Emily Hurst says:

Yes, please! I think you are right about hearing encouragement as well.
    Us moms can use all the resources we can get☺. Love your blog by the way. I found you and your blog at the “perfect” time in my life. I am looking forward to starting the challenge on Monday. Thank you for all of your courage and support. God is surely using you to help a lot of discouraged women.☺

• Kat says:

Emily,
      Woohoo! I’m glad you’re joining us.

Thanks for the sweet encouragement. You have no idea how much that inspires me!

• Sonya B says:

I think a podcast would be great. I am just starting a new womens group and this would be a great thing for our group to listen to. Thank you for the opportunity.

• Rebecca M says:

I love Simple Mom’s podcast, so I imagine I would LOVE yours! Please do it!

• Stacie says:

Yes, PLEEEEASE!!!

• Lisa says:

I would love it if you did a podcast!!

• Yes, please! I’ve been looking for an inspiring podcast like I imagine yours would be. I love listening to Simple Mom’s and Joy the Baker’s when I’m driving and have been wishing I had another to add to those, one that would encourage me as a mom and with my walk with the Lord.

• The people have spoken. Give us our podcast, Kat! 🙂

• Jenni says:

I would love to listen to your podcast. Do you know about what length you would make them?

Starting my first semester of Hello Mornings tomorrow! Very happy to be a part of it!

• Kat says:

Hi Jenni!
      I think that initially, they’d be pretty short, about 10-15 minutes. If I do interviews, those would be longer, but my plan it so keep it short, sweet and simple. 🙂

• Natasha d says:

would love it!

• Amanda says:

A podcast would be amazingly helpful! I would love to download it to my phoneand listen in the car or while I’m working out. Yes, yes, yes, to the podcast idea!

• Diana says:

Definitely!!!! I would LOVE to listen to you via podcast! I love listening to something while I am doing stuff around the house so I can stay focused.

• Demetria says:

You are such an encouragement to moms like me and I think a podcast is a wonderful idea!

• Amy says:

I’m way behind on my e-mails, but I wanted to add another vote FOR a podcast.