5 Things I Don’t Want You To Know About Me – And Why I’m Telling You Anyway

My Mom Confessions

• My minivan is a mess. You could clothe and feed a small nation with the junk inside.
  • I tend to lecture my kids.
  • I rarely floss.
  • I “check” my iPhone too much.
  • I have been known to hush my kids so I can work on a post about how to be a great mom.

We’ll just let the terrible irony of that last one sink in…

Too Much Information?

Why am I telling you this? Because its so easy to believe the lie that we are alone. That we are the only ones who don’t “get” it. That we need to be perfect. That we need to have it all together. That our shortcomings make us failures.

Come On Now…

The TRUTH? The truth is that what He *IS* doing in our lives is always greater than what we are *not* doing.

Marinate in that for a minute.

What He has done, what He is doing and what He is going to do matters more than our mistakes.

That is the Gospel.

God sees us as good not by the work of our hands, but through the sacrifice of Jesus.

The Price of Perceived Perfection

One of my favorite song lyrics says, “In the absence of martyrs, there’s the presence of thieves…”

When no one is willing to sacrifice on behalf of others, there is room for the liar to come in, steal truth and replace it with lies.

If I’m not willing to show that I’ve been broken and that I’m fully in need of grace, others (including my children) might believe that they need to be perfect or that they don’t measure up.

It’s hard to tell our story. It’s hard to face it, embrace it and let grace redeem it. It’s painful, it’s humbling, it takes effort. But if we’re willing to step out, we can be the light that exposes the liar and the thief.

It Stops With Us

Our children will carry on the story that starts with us. If we hide our failure or pain, if we avoid the challenge it takes to change….then our children will face the same thieves we did.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not ok with that.

We MUST to stand in front of the fire and forge the weapons we need to fight. Weapons of humility and faith. It’s hard, it hurts, it’s a choice and a battle…

But it can change the course of generations to come.
…it can CHANGE the course of generations to come.
…it can change the COURSE of generations to come.
…it can change the course of GENERATIONS to come.

Let the mama bear in you rise up and roar loud. Sometimes fighting for our children means we battle ourselves first.

The Hard Part

My challenge for you today:
1. Right now confess your need for God to do His work.
2. Today identify and list 3 areas He’s working on.
3. Contact someone today who can keep you accountable to change.

This is how we get Monday started around here. As I’ve mentioned before, this blog isn’t called “Inspired To Think About It.” Who’s in? Click here to join the discussion.

Comments

• Allison says:

Love this- “The truth is that what He *IS* doing in our lives is always greater than what we are *not* doing.” Bye-bye mommy guilt, hello grace!! Thanks for starting my Monday off on the right foot!

• Michelle says:

I’m right there with you on 1-4. If I wrote blog posts about being a good mom, I’d be 5:5.
    Thanks for being real (=

• Dawn says:

This is exactly what has been on my mind and heart lately. Thank you so much for this. You definitely said it better than I ever could!

• Shannon says:

Awesome, awesome, awesome post. Thank you for sharing.

My word for the year is “GRACE”.

This post was just the reminder I needed of why staying focused on GRACE is so important.

GRACE changes EVERYTHING.

• Ha!Ha! I was laying in bed last night thinking… “I should do a post soon on how messy my minivan is.” lol Thanks for keeping it real!

• Preach it sister!

We, (and I’m including myself here) read all these blogs and posts about being a great mom, wife, disciple, etc and it is so, so easy to think the writer is perfect having everything together.

I we want to impact the people we touch we need to real with them!

Love it!!

• Kat says:

Comparison is such a ploy of the enemy. I think it’s pretty safe to assume no one has it all together. But I’m the same way when I read other people’s blogs.

• Chrissy says:

Thanks for being so transparent. We all need this as moms. Your post was exactly what I needed to hear today. Blessings!

• libby says:

Ahh, the Lord just used this to confirm the confession I just wrote this morning! http://libbyoertel.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-not-alright.html

Every single time I’m real and brutally honest with my sin and brokenness, man, people come out of the woodwork to relate. We need to be honest to represent the Gospel fully.

Thanks for your vulnerability in proving this point! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kat says:

Libby,
      I loved your words. Honesty laced with furious hope.

I especially liked this line “I’m being called to stop managing my sin, and start repenting {turning from, running the opposite direction} of it. ”

Well said.

• Becky says:

Thanks for sharing this. I am with Michelle – if I only had a blog (that’s another post) – I would be 5 for 5 with you!

• Phyllis says:

I’ve started flossing regularly so my good teeth don’t fall our of my bad gums, but to me that is the least important thing on your list – I’m 4-4 with you on the rest. And why is it that the messy mini van drives me crazy when the three “real” things are what I should be focusing on? Forgive me Lord and help me to get my priorities straight – again!

• Kat says:

Great point! It’s so easy to let the seemingly urgent overtake the truly important.

• Phyllis says:

We talk about that in our book “Purposeful Planning” which is about seeking the Lord’s will so you can live your life more intentionally. There is an old article we reference – “The Tyranny of the Urgent”.

• Courtney says:

I agree that these confessions are so important! Important for me to make and to hear – and as you wisely pointed out, for our children to hear as well. I have to remember that God doesn’t expect perfect – he gives us grace and I need to live that more fully. Thank you!

• Lynn says:

Your post made me cry. I was precisely praying about this topic this morning. God has spoken to me through you. Thank you! I feel like I ‘fell off the wagon’ and need to get my priorities back on track . . . I’m definitely NOT perfect, and thank you for reminding me of God’s love for ME, not perfection. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Awesome! The truth is I can’t move, breath, think, ACT without God. He is the thing that animates my life, so yes He is always working in my life and I am whole but never perfect! I’m just getting over it.

• ToscaSac says:

Not all moms and women are so tightly wound. My house is a mess. I blog about that. I lecture my kid instead of hitting her that is it’s own blog. I can’t afford an IPhone but there is floss in my purse. I think…

I go through phases of being better about that. When I read other peoples blogs I am happy for them in the moment. That is about all.

• Lindsey says:

Yes! After reading too many perfect-mommy blogs, I often find myself feeling guilty about everything I’m doing, but too overwhelmed to actually change any behaviors. I’ve been challenged recently to think honestly about what things I really do care about (and where I am just responding to peer pressure!), and take action on those things, one at a time.

Sitting around wishing I was a different mom doesn’t do anyone any good! As you said, time for action!

• Kat says:

“Sitting around wishing I was a different mom doesnโ€™t do anyone any good!” I love that Lindsey! Well said.

• Rebecca says:

I’ve grown up in the church, but somehow I feel I’ve missed the whole idea of God’s grace. I really feel like I have very little concept of it. He has definitely been bringing it to the forefront lately. Within that, the three areas He’s working on me relying on His grace for would have to be: simplifying (be gone maddening clutter!), quality time with my loved ones (be gone Facebook and self-inflicted schedule!), and joyful living (be gone impatience and attitude problem!). *sigh* I guess I always thought I’d have life figured out by now. :o)

• Kat says:

Rebecca,
      You know, I think that realizing that we *don’t* have it figured out is a great step towards actually figuring it out. It’s when we think we have it all down that we’re really in trouble.

I’ve been learning a lot about grace lately too. A couple books I’ve enjoyed about it are Grace for the Good Girl (Emily Freeman) and Give Them Grace (a parenting book, but just an eye opening book on grace too. Elise Fitzpatrick)

• Rebecca says:

Thanks, Kat! I need a good book that hits me where I need it, instead of just more self-inflicted guilt. I really appreciate the recommendations.

• Suzie (from Sydney) says:

Kat, its official. I love you!
    (still giggling at your list, thank you)

• […] 5 Things I Donโ€™t Want You To Know About Me โ€“ And Why Iโ€™m Telling You Anyway | Inspired To Action […]

• Jocelyn says:

Im glad I came across your post as it rings true for me especially after a sermon we heard yesterday in Adelaide about being truthful about who we. Its not that easy to be honest about perceived failings and an area that I believe I need to take some risks in. Thanks x