You are so adorable.

(Note from Kat: This is a post from monthly contributor Lara Williams. Enjoy!)

The time came — as it does every night — for me to prepare dinner. I found the countertops, buried under stray coloring pages and junk mail. My eyes felt worn from the day. My ears hurt from the loud. My yoga pants had peanut butter crusted near the knee. Not sure how it got there. And kids entangled around my legs. A typical night.

My four-year-old whined about needing…something. I told him that I couldn’t get it right then but that he could “help” me cook if he’d like. He agreed, so I lifted him onto a clear space of counter.

ohagi day #7
Flickr photo credit

I cut the potatoes and broke the broccoli under his watchful stare. And then from out of nowhere he grabbed my face with both of his little hands, looked me square in the eyes and said, “You are so adorable. You are *so* adorable.”

I swiped the stray hairs from my face with the back of my hand and couldn’t contain my smile. And when he saw my flustered approval he grabbed my neck in a bear hug and began repeating it over and over while swaying me back and forth, “You are so adorable. You are so adorable. You are so adorable.”

I didn’t budge. I let him repeat himself because the words felt so good to my tired spirit. And I realized that I must have needed to hear that someone thinks I’m adorable.

I know it isn’t straight-forward Bible, but I think God grabbed my neck through my little guy’s arms that night. I think He looked me in the eyes, in spite of me and all my faults, and said over and over, “You are so adorable.”

And He says the same to you.

You as a mama, you as a wife, you as a friend, sister, and daughter, your God made you in all your cuteness. And He made you adorable. Even when our hair is wild (or our attitude wilder), He sings over us with love. True, He faithfully disciplines. Granted, suffering comes. But His grace and love stand as strong towers protecting His children.

So smile. *You* are so adorable.

Comments

• […] I’m hanging out with sweet Kat over at Inspired To Action today talking about how adorable you are. Seriously. God sorta told me through my four-year-old boy. And no, I’m not trying to blaspheme. But you are adorable. You can read more about that by clicking here. […]

• Tears. How I so desperately needed to hear this.

• Avatar Heather says:

Thanks Lara. Was feeling a little less than…needed this.

• Avatar Karin says:

Oh but that IS from the Bible! Zephaniah 3:17! 🙂 Wonderful post, thanks so much for sharing.

• Avatar Kim S says:

God so often speaks to me through my children. The Bible says that they are His gifts to us and He has proven this over and over again. Thank you for reminding me that, yes, I am adorable! And for making me smile… peanut buter crusted yoga pants and all.

• I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed lately and not focusing on the precious moments with my blessings. Thank you for opening my eyes so I can spend the day with my priorities redefined. =)

• Avatar Jessica J. says:

LOVE this! Thank you for sharing.

• Avatar Kelly says:

Thank you…I, too, needed to hear this!! 🙂

• Avatar Ashlyn says:

I was teary -eyed reading this post. So sweet, so needed! Hugs!

• Avatar Alexandra says:

Thank you so much for sharing. I seem to be having a lot of those days lately. We are moving on Friday and life is more and more hectic by day, and i don’t like how tired and often frustrated with my kids i get every night. I needed to stop, breathe in, and read your article. Thank you.

• How wonderfully true Laura! God does in deed speak to us through ANYTHING…our children included. What an amazing way to feel God’s love!

• Avatar Polly says:

Lara,

You reminded me that my 3 year old girlie has been doing this a lot lately, but with the phrase, “You are da dest Mommy in da whole world!” and squeezing my neck until she says, “There, I popped your head off”.

I’ve definitely needed it, but haven’t been savoring it and soaking it in every time like you describe in this post because I have been so distracted.

Thank you so much for the reminder to choose what is better!!

I love it when He talks to us through our little ones!!!

• Lara, these words brought tears to my tired eyes and a smile to my face 🙂 God knows what we need and He knows how to reach us. I am sure I often ignore his whispers. But through your precious little guy, now that is smart! Love it!

• Avatar Brianna says:

Oh, I love this. I just smiled so big it makes my face hurt. Thank you.

• Avatar Crystal Ashworth says:

Tears here too! Sounds like a lot of us mommies needed to hear that message today!

I laughed out loud at this – “My ears hurt from the loud” — I can totally relate to that comment. 🙂

Tonight my son did not want to go to sleep, he usually goes around 8, but tonight he was up until almost 10. And sometimes I get flustered and frustrated, and use my gruffest ‘Go to sleep right now’ voice. But tonight, I just let him play, and snuggle, and whatever. And when I finally took him to his room, we sang songs, and then he just started cracking up laughing – so we laughed and laughed and laughed. And then he went to bed without any fuss. I’m glad I didn’t force bedtime tonight so I could get that moment. 🙂