Can’t Believe I’m Posting This, But Here’s a TV Interview I Did On Monday…

By February 9, 2012General

Can I just say, I can’t imagine why anyone would want be on TV on purpose. (Sidenote: Was that a question or a statement? Maybe it was an questatement? I’ll throw in an extra ? just in case the period didn’t cover it.)

What was I saying? Oh yeah. TV. So, I did an interview for our local TV station. I’d done a couple things with them before, but it was short 1-2 minute bits that were just recorded. This time it was LIVE, and for some reason I didn’t clue in it was LIVE until they said, “10 seconds to air…9…8…” {cue Kat freakout}.

I do not like to watch myself on TV. Home movies or a set, there’s no difference. Not on my list of favorite things to do. I had to leave the room when my husband watched it. I’m a dork. I know.

Ironically, I’m really quite comfortable with myself and any level of dorkishness I’ve attained in my 36 years of life, I just don’t like to watch it on TV. So for me to post this on the blog means I really love you.

{Group hug}

But despite the fact that I was nervous, it was really fun and Emily (the interviewer) is just the sweetest!

Anyway, without further adieu, here are the two segments. I hope that they encourages you!

Segment 1:

If session 1 isn’t showing for you, click here to watch it at the station’s website.

Segment 2:

And if segment 2 isn’t showing, here is the direct link.

Note: RSS and email readers, if you can’t see this video, click here to watch it on the blog.

Is anyone else feel that way about seeing themselves on video, or is it just me?

Comments

• Avatar Christy says:

Thank you so much for your encouragement and motivation! I found the prayer calendar for your children AND your husband, and I am so excited to begin using them. Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely pass the idea along!

• Avatar Larri says:

FABULOUS! I love that I know your voice now. I’ll hear it with every future blog post and tweet. 🙂 Thank you for being such an incredible inspiration. You’ve changed so many Mom lives…mine included.

You are such an incredible blessing. Thanks, Kat!

Happy Thursday! 🙂

• Wow! I loved that she kept digging into how you pray for your children! It’s awesome to be able to see you being able to openly share your faith like that! Way cool! And you’re great on camera 🙂

• I love this! It is great that you are on television spreading your message. I’ve been needing to get up earlier in the mornings too, now that the baby is sleeping through the night.

• Avatar Amy Martin says:

You did amazing! Very natural on camera!

• Avatar Alison says:

Awww . . . you’re so cute! I’m a big dork, too, and I don’t like to see myself on TV. Oh, wait, I have never seen myself on TV–well, not for a whole interview anyway. Not yet. You did a great job!

• Avatar Angela Smith says:

Kat–you were AWESOME!! I believe that b/c you proclaimed (without hesitancy) that you start your day reading your Bible & praying, God is going to use that to draw women to himself that would never have picked up their Bibles!! Everything you said about being intentional in mothering really struck home to me–“very few people in our society are saying that”. The main message is that you add kids onto your own busy life; but you reminded them that our mothering/parenting is strategic & intentional if we want our kids to grow up to be amazing ADULTS!!

You are such an inspiring woman who draws so many of us through your humble honesty & precious cheering us on to be better than we can be on our own!! THANK YOU!!!

• Avatar Jane says:

Kat,
    Thank you so much for your blog and for your ministry! How fun to see you on TV and hear your voice!

I’m a chronic late-nighter finally considering making a change. Hearing you talk about what you do and why makes me think I need to stop making excuses and start *doing*. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Avatar Faye says:

Nice work!! I did your last Maximize Your Mornings study and LOVED it. I also loved your analogy about God being our coach before “the big game” because, as mothers, everyday is “a big game”. Keep up the great work and continued blessings to your ministry!

• Avatar Tracy Selle says:

Kat I’m so glad you posted this. I had so much fun watching and I think you did a fantastic job.

I think it’s amazing that the station wanted to interview you and what a huge blessing that you had the opportunity to talk about the bible and praying.

As a former TV meteorologist (before I became a mommy!) I can tell you that very few stations are willing to do that. I think God is opening doors for you! : )

• Avatar Betsy says:

Kat, this is so exciting to watch! Look at you, girl. I remember being shocked that your talk in Denver a few summers ago was one of your first public speaking experiences. It was great to meet you that night, and it’s great to see you consistently speaking God’s truth and encouragement to moms everywhere. It’s an honor to be a part of this journey with you, Kat. Thank you for your bold obedience and compassionate heart.

• Avatar Laura says:

You were excellent! So relaxed and calm. I would have been stuttering all over the place! I was so proud, like I personally knew you! It encouraged me to continue to get up and start my days early. I don’t always have a routine, but I need to make sure I do now. Thank you for reminding me why we do it.

• Avatar Monika says:

I haven’t actually watched the video yet, but I’m going to right after I comment. I just wanted to say – no, it’s not just you. 🙂 I’m a confident person, but I hate watching myself on video or even listening to a recording of my voice.

• Avatar Meagan says:

I loved watching this, Kat! And you did fantastic. What an opportunity. It was so great to be able to listen to you share openly about your faith and all that God is doing in and through you and how it is impacting your family. On TV! You are a blessing and an encouragement. Great job, friend!

Meagan

You’re famous! You might have to get used to the cameras soon. =p Thanks for loving us enough to share this with us. It is definitely encouraging and inspiring.

• So I went to bed at 10pm to nurse my baby and fell asleep. I woke up at 2am and here I am at almost 4 am watching your interview. I usually go to bed at midnight and wake up at 8-9am. My kids wake up at different times in the morning and love to come and join me in bed and cuddle. I fix them breakfast and it’s not cereal.

All that to say, that I would love to wake up early but I am a night owl. My kids complain when I am up early and they don’t get to cuddle with me in bed.

So maybe those are all excuses but is waking up early a must to be a good Mom?? yes sometimes I am grumpy (which Mom is not?) but I never liked waking up early in all my 40 years of living. 🙁

So what do I do now??

• Avatar Alison says:

I’m not the expert and I don’t know what Kat will say, but my opinion is that different things work for different people. I love my morning time, but you love your night time. Neither is better than the other. If it works for your family and you’re getting your prayer time, I wouldn’t mess with it. And even though I get up earlier, I am still sometimes grumpy. 🙂

Tereza,
      I don’t think waking up early is required to be a good Mom. As Alison said, different things work for different people. I do think though, that for the majority of people, getting up earlier (not necessarily *early* just earlier) makes it EASIER to be a better mom.

Why? Just to get our focus right. Any professional in any field “warms up” before their job. Singers warm up their voices before going on stage, Actors go over their lines, athletes review the plays, business people look at notes before meetings, Teachers go over their lesson plans, Pastors pray…

Likewise, as moms, it can only help us if we just take 5 minutes to pray for our kids, focus our hearts on the things of God and intentionally invite Him to be a part of our day.

It doesn’t mean we’ll be perfect moms that day, but it does mean that we did everything we could to start it off well.

It could even be something that you do with your kids when they come in. Pray together, have them pray for you and pray for each of them.

• hi Kat, thanks for your reply. 🙂

I do do the warm up thing. I have a bathroom routine – it’s my prayer closet. Once we get out of bed, I use the bathroom and pray and do my morning reading in there. 🙂 Sorry for too much information.

I wish I could be an earlier riser and have an hour prayer time, but that is just not me. Not that I don’t do that sometimes. I have woken up at 5 am before and spend hours with the Lord. It’s all about the right timing. And I am so glad that I can count on the Lord to help me improvise. 🙂 His Grace is sufficient!

you have a wonderful ministry here. 🙂 Blessings,