Do You Have A Dream For Your Children?

By January 16, 2012Get Inspired

Today is Martin Luther King Jr day. For those of you who live elsewhere, Martin Luther King Jr is well known for his part in the civil rights movement here in the U.S. And he is probably most remembered for his “I Have A Dream” speech. (RSS and email readers, click here to watch the video. It’s only 2 minutes long.)

Powerful, isn’t it?

Thanks for the history lesson, Kat. But, um, what does this have to do with motherhood?

My question for moms is this
– Do we have dreams for our children - wild, crazy, “only God could do this” dreams of who they will become and how they will live life?

I don’t want to just hope that my kids will go to church and maybe participate in See You at the Pole. I dream that their faithful and fervent prayers would ignite revival In their school.

I don’t want to just hope that they will stay away from drugs. I dream that they will dive into the lives of hurting classmates, help them break free from addiction, and introduce them to Life.

I don’t want to be content with prayers of thanks at the dinner table. I dream that my children’s hearts would break for the things that break the heart of God. That they would be passionate in prayer and as desperate for Him as they are for air.

I don’t want them to be like me. I dream that they will far surpass anything I could teach or show them – that I would be deeply challenged and inspired by the way they live their lives.

I have a dream.

Do you? If not, it’s a great day for dreaming!

:: (originally posted 1/11)

Also, Happy first day of Hello Mornings, my friends!

Comments

• Avatar Jenna Lorick says:

Hey Kat,
    My email got hacked last week and I did not get an email about my group for the hello mornings challenge. Is there anyway you you send me that email again? Thanks so much!

Blessings,
    Jenna

• Avatar Catherine says:

Thank you for the inspiration, exactly what I need in my life right now, thank you thank thankyou!

• Avatar Chloe says:

I encourage everyone to watch or listen to the speech in it’s entirety. About half an hour and every moment of it beautiful.

• a wonderfully inspiring post!

• Avatar Tracy says:

I never received an email regarding a group for this session. This is my first time so I am not sure where else to be looking. Looking forward to this challenge. I slept in today – a day off & but tomorrow it is bright & early. Started a couple of weeks by just adding 20 mins to my wake up time & it has been good.
    Thanks!

• Avatar DRS says:

Such a profound post. Thank you for inspiring me to dream BIG for my children.

• Avatar kimberlee says:

YES!!! I am so encouraged with young men in the spotlight like Justin Bieber and Tim Tebow, they are helping me set goals for my son. Not that my son will become famous, no way! But that my son will point others to Christ by his character alone. And that he makes his momma proud. 😉

• Avatar Keya says:

I love this Kat! I certainly have a dream for my kids, BUT it is NOT specific. Sure I look at them and amuse myself to think of what they might be when they grow up. (a mechanical engineer, a top chef, an international soccer player) lol. BUT my real dream is similar to yours. I dreams that they will grow up and be who God has called them to be. To LOVE without condition and give generously to others. Ultimately I don’t really care to think of the specifics, so long as their service is in service of God and Humanity.

• Avatar Valerie says:

This gives me a lot to think about. Thanks as always, Kat!