What Would They Say I Love?

By November 9, 2011Get Inspired

A Note From Kat: This is a guest post from my sweet friend Lara Williams. If I had a short list of people who inspire me, she would be on it.

My youngest says “actually” and “let’s not freak out.” My oldest sits down at her desk to write books. And my middle, well, he enjoys watching cooking shows.

It’s so cliche. But these little ones we trip over and clean up after say and do what we say and do. They glean from what they see in us. They repeat our words and follow our steps. They notice our passions and often love what we love.

The most effective way for me to teach them to love one another is to have love flowing from my hands and lips. To inspire them to care for the needy and pray for the hurting, I have to be burdened for those who’ve been cast aside. But it has to be real. They can sense a fraud.

It’s so easy to get distracted from the “main thing” in our fast-paced, stuff-filled world. The main thing — love my God and love those around me. I don’t want to pass on a mediocre faith to these young ones watching my every move. I want them to observe a passionate faith that sets my feet to action.

So it causes me look deep within and honestly ask myself, “What would they say I’m passionate about? What or whom would they say I love?”

How about you?

What is something your kids do that is just like you?

Comments

I love that when we go around the table asking what our favorite things are, my 7 year old inevitably says exactly what I said.

It’s such a compliment, but also a weighty reminder of the power of my influence.

Now that my kids are older, I might need to start asking them your question, “What are some of the things I love?”

I’d better live like I want them to answer.

• My 4 year old cracks me up when she starts to talk with her hands, and very serious look on her face and says something like, “Alright, now lets get a plan here…”, and then I laugh even harder when I realize that those words are not simply coming from her, but a her that is watching me all day!!! LOL

• Avatar Jennifer says:

“The most effective way for me to teach them to love one another is to have love flowing from my hands and lips.” Yes, thank you, Lara and Kat. I love the support of friends who let me share my heart — but I most love friends who speak truth and remind me how much my actions matter. I have three kids — two boys and a girl. My youngest, my daughter, is the one that most openly mimics me. But I love our kids openness for service so far, from the projects we do in our community and the mission trips we have been on as a family over the summer (to the Navajo Nation and Tecate, Mexico). My husband and I hope that a heart for service is a choice that becomes a natural way of life (for all of us!) Thank you!

• Avatar Lara says:

Oh I love that you have done family mission trips!!! When my kids are a little older we want to do that. Thanks for that encouragement.

• Make lists. I was so surprised the first time I saw one of their lists. I always say if it doesn’t get on the list it won’t get done.

• Avatar Lisa says:

This challenged me to really think about what it is they would say I love and am passionate about and what it is I want them to say. Thanks!

• Avatar Shayla says:

When I get upset or frustrated, I stop talking and walk away to get myself together. My daughter, who is 3, does the exact same thing. It is amazing how she picks up all of my habits, both good and bad. She knows I love her and her brother and my husband and our extended family, but I wonder if she knows how much I love God. I’m going to ask her tonight and see what she says.

• Avatar monica says:

This was great, thank you. I’ve seen that in some positive, and slightly concerning ways…when I start to get stressed I notice my oldest son starts straightening up the room…:) Kind of funny, but makes me wonder what I’m turning him into! Ha! Thanks for the great post!

• Avatar Katie says:

My 16 month old little girl calls from another room for her daddy, yelling, “Honey!” I wonder where she picked that up…? 🙂 It’s amazing, even at this age, she’s following so closely what she sees in us. Thank you for helping me be mindful of this!

• Avatar Tiff says:

Tonight I had a talk with my son about choosing to see the positive rather than only pointing out the negative….all the while knowing I am a hypocrite of sorts to expect him NOT to do what I have modeled. I loved Kat’s line: “I’d better live like I want them to answer.” Yet at the same time, don’t we all want for our kids to be “better” than we are in every way? By the grace of God there are glimpses. Praise Him for the way He redeems even the hypocrites.

• Avatar Wendi says:

My 3 year old puts her “purse” over her shoulder, grabs any large book, and says, “bye Mom, I’m going to Bible study!”