2 Reasons Why You Might Feel Overwhelmed

By November 4, 2011Get Inspired

Do you ever feel horribly overwhelmed? Trying to hold back the ocean. Sometimes we work hard and get nothing accomplished. Sometimes we just give in, scoop our Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream and watch the Food Network.

I’ve often found that my overwhelmed, undproductive days are a result of one of two things:

Weariness

We are simply tired and need some intentional rest. Too often we try to plow through, when – really – we just need to go to bed. As much as we may try to live to the contrary, the fact remains that even moms need sleep.

Lack of Focus

We don’t have a plan. If I don’t have a plan for my day or week I just float from one random thing to the next and arrive at bedtime realizing that the four things I needed to get done, were still awaiting my attention.

May I Give You Permission?

Mothers are entrepreneurs. We are often martyrs. We have no “boss” and sometimes we need to be told to rest. To step back and take a good morning of intentional rest (i.e. unplugged, no chores) or an afternoon of planning.

So, may I just give you permission? Permission to step back from the “urgent.” The urgent dishes. The urgent crumbs on the floor. The urgent pile of laundry. The urgent papers that need sorting.

…permission to just “be” and not “do?”

…permission to simply sit quietly with Him? And rest? And, ever-so-wearily, lay down the world at His feet. Lay down the laundry, the crumbs, the papers, the messy hearts of our beautiful children, the raw marriage, the heavy self-expectation.

The only weight we were ever intended to carry is the sweet, fullness of His presence and peace.

What weight are you carrying that needs to be put down?

Comments

• Avatar Yvonne says:

Thank you for this! As a stay at home, homeschooling mom it is so easy to get caught up in thinking that we need to be working all the time. But God does intend for us to rest. I just need to remember that means me too.

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

This brought tears to my eyes. Yes. Thank you. Just what I needed right now.

• Love this…
    So often my weariness is due to an accumulation of poor choices…lack of sleep, lack of exercise, lack of time spent with Him.
    Funny thing is–it just shows that I think I can “do it all” in my own strength when I miss that time spent with Him.
    And clearly I can’t.
    This post is freeing–and encouraging.
    Thank you!

• I completely relate with this post. Moms in general tend to bear the weight of their families. Special needs moms have an even harder go of it because we are not only tryign to be and do all things, we are secretly on edge and concerned about causing harm or making mistakes.

A post like this gives us moms “permission” to just be and not allow our “title” of mom completely define us.

• Avatar Victoria says:

Thanks, I needed this post today. After several late nights with a teething 9 month old, I feel less guilty about still being in my PJs (its 1pm after all!) and lounging on the couch during nap time. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Avatar Katie T. says:

Can’t tell you with what perfect timing this comes….thank you.

• Avatar Heather says:

Thank you dear friend.

• Avatar Tanya says:

AWESOME article.
    So often I feel this way. I’m a 44 year old stay at home mom, wife and homeschooler. There are NEVER enough hours in the day.
    Can I add also, that our worth is not measured in how much or what we accomplish around the house. 😉

I totally need to just ‘be’ today. That’s why it’s pizza and movie night. =)

• Avatar Cecily says:

You just don’t know how much I needed that! Thank you so much! God Bless you!

• Avatar GinnyLou says:

I’ve had walking pneumonia for the last month and I can’t seem to let myself let go of all the things that need doing, but I can’t seem to get anything done either. Thank you so much for the permission to let it all go…

• I really appreciated the “permission” to let go of heavy expectations for myself. Those weigh me down day after day, especially when a day is spent with nothing accomplished. This post was in good timing. Thanks 😉

• Avatar Rosalia says:

There are many situations of life in which we may feel overwhelmed and feel like running away somewhere but our problems always follow us. It is good to take heed in God’s grace and leave every doubt unattended. That can only give us peace. Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts.

• Were you reading my mind? All of our minds…oh man…ever since becoming a parent 4 1/2 years ago I feel like I’m constantly holding back the ocean (love that image!)…thanks for the reminder that we are not alone…and for the tips…I need to be a better planner! (i.e. ‘having a plan’)…

• Avatar Libby says:

Tears present here. Thanks for reiterating what the Holy Spirit has been whispering to me. I run from it, run from his call in attempt to do it on my own. I actually feel myself push past the wall he tries to put up to stop me from my own destructive pride. Weary. From trying.

• Avatar Haley says:

Definitely needed to hear this today. I was just going through a dialogue in my head of how much needs to get done but how exhausted I am. I think this is definitely one of those days that I just need to chill out and rest a little. Life has just been hard the last couple of months and I am weary.

• Avatar Laura says:

I’m on my 2nd reading of Grace for the Good Girl:). The weight I have been carrying that I’m working on intentionally putting down is my OWN unrealistic expectations….pretty much – perfection. Accepting that I’ll never be able to DO enough…and I don’t want to try anymore:)!!! Yay!

• Avatar Julianna says:

Raising my hand on both “reasons.” Thank you, thank you, Kat. Resting in Him, and so very grateful to be there.

• Avatar Tia Phillips says:

I needed permission this week. I need time with a Savior who loves me more than my sparkling dishes. Thanks for sharing…

• Avatar Heather says:

Thank you so much for this! I have been feeling like this so much lately; feeling so overwhelmed. It’s great to get “permission” to rest!

• Avatar carly says:

I’m continually plagued by weariness and lack of focus. Thanks for the “permission.” 🙂