Tell your Story {a double-dog-dare}

By October 19, 2011Get Inspired

(A Note From Kat: Today’s guest post is from Lara Williams. I truly love her writing. If you’re not reading her blog or following her on Twitter, please fix that asap! )

Something Missing…

Some friends and I have “Girls’ Night” each month. (An absolute must!) It always involves chocolate and laughter and sometimes means tears and hugs. But regardless of how we spend those precious hours, we leave refreshed.

But our ties go deeper than dessert — though these girls make some mean dessert. These are my sister-friends. As a group we have walked through cancer, adultery, infertility, and miscarriage. Not to mention the daily challenges that come with mommyhood.

We have interceded for one another and carried the burdens. We have delivered meals and babysat kids. We have loved and not loved and loved some more — sister-friends, bound together by God.

Does Anyone Know Your Story?

But we recently realized that as a group we don’t know everyone’s story. We know the Cliff Note version. We know the present battles. We know that Junior won’t sleep past 5:30 a.m. and mama’s about to lose her mind. But we don’t know everyone’s full God-story — the Lifetime movie version.

Beginning at the beginning and highlighting God’s movement throughout our lives, some have started to share their God-story. And hearing it deepens our connection as friends.

But telling our story not only allows others a glimpse into our soul, it does something to us. It builds our faith as we see God’s hand throughout our life, infusing hope for the future.

The Double Dog Dare

If you’ve never told your own God-story, then (are you ready?) I double-dog-dare you to take the time to write it down, noting the things that have shaped you in this faith-race. Then share it with someone else. If you’ve shared your story before, ask Him to give you a chance to tell it again. There’s such power in remembering.

What does sharing your own God-story do to your spirit?

What hesitations do you have to sharing?

Do your children know your God-story?

(This guest post is from Lara Williams. I truly love her writing. Check out her blog or follow her on Twitter. )

Comments

• Avatar Karen says:

This is the hardest thing for me to do….I know my history, my hubby knows most but no one else……I don’t start the story or my testimony until I am about 35 when I met my hubby but the first 35 were the years I should share to help others. Just haven’t figured out how to be that honest yet. I pray each day about it!

• Avatar Lara says:

Karen, it’s a balance, isn’t it. We definitely don’t want to glorify past sins or pains, but when God has freed us, sharing it truly inspires. Plus, it reminds of His past faithfulness. Blessings, friend.

• Avatar Erin says:

Kat, I have found that sharing my God-story brings back all of those strong feelings I had at each moment of my growing closer to Him. It’s a wonderful way to remind myself that He does know me and love me because just look at all these times I’ve seen His hand in my life, in the details of my life. I have been working on sharing my testimony with my children – they are the ones who need to hear it more than anyone else. Thank you for this post!

• Avatar Shonda says:

Last year at MOPS God kept prompting me to tell my story on Testimony Day. I did and He was with me. I love my story and I try to share it often.

• Avatar Sharon says:

I haven’t told my story since I got married a few years ago. I moved to my husbands city and he is super private, and though he knows my full story, he does not want me sharing it with others. It’s been a real challenge for me to develop close friends here. I feel like I can’t be my true self around them without disrespecting my husbands wishes.

• Avatar Lara says:

Sharon, I think you are wise to respect your husband. That is both honorable and scriptural. I also think that your desire to share how God has called and redeemed you is His leading. I would encourage you to pray for your husband and also pray that you would know what can be shared with a friend, revealing your God-story, without disrespecting your husband’s concerns. Blessings to you.

• Avatar Heather says:

This is timed so well! I am re-vamping my blog right now with this purpose in mind. I have a pre-marriage story and a post-marriage story (still on-going!). I have felt God tugging me to share, so I am hoping He will do great things with it.

• Avatar Shayla says:

Wow. A double-dog dare! This is going to require some time, and thanks to the hello mornings challenge (shameless plug) I have some time. What a great way to facilitate praise and worship, by recounting my story from the very beginning. I think that remembering all that God has done for me will certainly put some power behind my praise.

• Avatar Laura says:

We had to write out an abbreviated faith story when my husband & I got baptized last summer. We read it to our congregation (including all 3 of our kids) & then were dunked in the lake:)! Was an experience I’ll never forget!

• Avatar Marlo Haft says:

Great post!!! I have shared “my story” although I know its not my story its HIS story. He grabbed me from the brink of disaster and saved me from myself, in my salvation and my repentance. I even blogged my story a while back. And, He continues to open the door for me to share it with women, some who are struggling greatly in their marriage. In sharing it, its a constant reminder of HIS grace and mercy. A reminder that left to myself I will choose sin every time. not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2:9

• Avatar Marlo Haft says:

Oh, and I know the story is not over.. HALLELUJAH!!! And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Phil 1:6

• Avatar Laura says:

I had the great honor and pleasure of being in CRHP (Christ Renews His Parish) at our church. It was a group of amazing women that got together over a weekend. Most of us were strangers that told our deepest secrets and faith stories through a lot of crying and praying. By the end of the weekend we were deep sisters and everlasting friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

• What a real challenge! I’ve struggled with this for so long. God’s done such amazing things in my life, but man, has He ever had to clean up some messes I’ve made and heal some big-time hurts I’ve carried. Sharing the hard stuff is something I’ve wrestled with for years…. Your dare to us today is something I’m going to be diligent to pray about. I am still not sure where the line is of stuff to leave under the blood of Jesus and stuff to share for His glory…Or is the act of telling our own truths, with scars and all, part of what takes the power away from the pain….? You’ve really got me thinking (and praying!).

• Avatar Shayla says:

Wow Shannon. What a great comment. Now you have me thinking about this: What parts of my story should be shared for God’s glory and what should be cast into the sea of forgetfulness? That’s a tough one.

• Avatar Lara says:

I totally hear your heart, Shannon. Yes! Prayer is key. We never want to glorify our own past sins. Some things need to stay “under the blood of Jesus.” Praying you know what needs to be shared to reveal His great glory and faithfulness vs. what needs to stay covered. Blessings, sister-friend.

• Avatar Berny says:

LOVE it! I have had the chance to share my story which I refer to as God’s
    story. I LOVE remembering it oftens moves to tears and most definitely
    grows my faith. To God Be The Glory! 😉

• Avatar Sarah says:

I’ve tried to be pretty open with most of my testimony. Some know more than others, but that’s understandable. Since my kids are young, I need to remember to keep re-sharing with my kids because they probably have forgotten more than they remember!

• Great post! I seriously need to start scheduling a monthly or quarterly girls-night. We have playdates a lot, but we don’t really get a chance to really talk at those because we’re always chasing someone (usually mine!)

Do my children know my God-story? That’s a good question. Right now, they are too little to care (2 and 0), but I hope I will make it a point to tell them. Now that I think about it, I really don’t know my parents God-story. That I will have to fix!

• 100% agree with this! When we’ve led Bible studies or small groups, one of the first things we do is have everyone share their 4 Hs (History/Heritage, Heartaches, Hopes, Hobbies). Typically they share how God moved through hard times in their past and the past hurts have shaped their future hope.

• I only recently started telling my story. It carries much shame and pain. Thankfully, He has freed me and released me to share so I may glorify Him!

• […] all our well hidden wretchedness. He can use us to save, heal and rescue. He is not limited by our story, our title or our […]

• i’ve been writing mine down for a couple of years now, but your post has made me realize that I might have been watering it down a bit in some areas. It’s not up to me to choose which of the parts of my life are important to write about = God can use them all.