Don’t Be A Jesus Fan. Get In The Game

By September 9, 2011Get Inspired

(My family storming the field after last week’s Baylor vs. TCU game.)

The stereotype of Christians is that we live boring and dull lives. But boring and dull are about the most inaccurate descriptions of who God is. So why don’t we reflect him rightly?

Because we put on His jersey but we never get in the game. We’re that loud obnoxious, out of shape fan who couldn’t run across the field if his life depended on it. The one who wants the victory without the effort.

The Jesus fan.

Jesus fans take pride in what other people accomplish. They yell and scream for their team. They get mad when someone messes up, they even get in fights with fans from other teams. But they never actually pick up the ball. Because it’s too hard, it hurts.

It’s not their calling.

But the children in the Philippines don’t need Jesus fans, they need His feet, and hands. Your neighbors don’t need Jesus music, books or movies. They need Jesus’ people. To hold them when they hurt, lift them when they fall, and lead them to the Hope.

It’s a daily battle for me to fight the Jesus Fan mentality. But by spending time with Him (my Coach) daily, even if it’s 2 minutes, I’m inspired to serve my team and fight for those who are needy and hurting.

It’s time to get out of the bleachers and get in the game.

What is one small thing you can do today to get in the game?

FYI – I’m hard at work putting together the groups for the Maximize Your Mornings Challenge and I hope to have things all ready by next Tuesday. I may be a bit slow to respond to email/social media until then. Thanks for your patience. Also? I love the thought that next week there will be Bibles open and lights flickering in the early morning hours in over 1,700 homes around the world. Game changers. That’s what you are.

Comments

• Avatar Shalene says:

Oh no, you’re a Baylor fan!!! 🙂 my Hubbie and I are Horned Frogs; he played football there. So last week was quite a disappointment for us, but what an exciting game! Just had to comment after I saw your post! So looking forward to taking part in Maximize your Mornings!

Shalene,
      It *was* an exciting game, wasn’t it. Believe me, we’ve been on the other end of such a game plenty of times. I know how disappointing it must have been.

I’m glad you’re taking part in MYM! Way to get in the game, Shalene!

• Avatar Melanie says:

Praying for you, sweet friend! Praying God will fill you with encouragement, hope, and wisdom. I pray that all of the details will come together smoothly, and that He will prepare hearts… (including mine!)

Blessings,
    Melanie

• Oh wow, that one zinged me. I came to the comments to read others ideas, not because I have any of my own.

On a side note, I started my own Mornings about three weeks ago, and it has been such a blessing to me and my family. I have done the getting up before the kids thing before, but never very consistently. I can’t explain my success this time…..could it be all the prayers?!

Shannon, That’s great to hear!! I need to get back on it because those mornings are the best.

• Avatar Missy says:

Shannon, I started maximizing my mornings about a month ago and I can’t tell you how much it has helped me and my family. God is so amazing that when we stop and spend time with Him, He blesses each and every effort! I’m so glad to hear of your success and blessings of starting your day with Him! I am encouraged to continue on my own journey because now I know someone who is new on this journey with me! :). Blessings to you!

• Avatar Natalie says:

Thank you for the encouragement, Kat! You are a blessing in my life 🙂

• Avatar Heather says:

Great, great analogy! The first idea that came to mind was what Lysa said in her “yes to God” segment. It’s being available to give my time, money, and encouragement that God presents each day. Not being so busy with my own agenda that I’m not available for His. (my own game plan…to continue with your analogy). Thaks kat! Praying for you during a tedious but important administrative task before you! Go MYMC!!

• Avatar Joy says:

For me as a missionary living overseas, it is choosing to say yes to God (per Lysa and Ann’s talk) when the interruptions come. Even though I live in a culture that values people over time, I come from a Western mentality where you have to stick to the schedule, have to get things done, and interruptions are not always welcome. It is SO hard for me to give up *my plan* and be flexible. That’s the ugly truth. Getting in the game is throwing up a quick prayer when I’m interrupted yet again, and thanking the Lord for the opportunity to serve. I think this can apply to mothering as well! 🙂
    Have a great day, and prayers for you as you organize the groups!

• Avatar Dena says:

I’m going to visit my neighbor who is going through a divorce and then try to connect with another neighbor with whom I need to build a relationship.

• Avatar honey says:

Wonderful article! Thanks

• Avatar Christine says:

I loved following your Philippines trip and wanted to share with you that our family just spend 6 amazing weeks there (with our 1 and 3 year old). Next we are traveling to Africa. Life with Jesus is always exciting! Thanks for inspiring us!

• Avatar Lara says:

I just love that perspective. One thing I can do… walk in my calling. Today. In love. (vague enough for you?)

• Avatar Holly says:

I want to love those who are difficult to love. It’s not easy, but God keeps putting them in my path. I just don’t want to ignore opportunities to show Christ to those who may not even understand why they are being treated with love.