Why I Want My Kids To Call People Names

By August 2, 2011Get Inspired

I watched two hundred children calling each other names and I couldn’t hold back the tears.

“Kind”
“Thoughtful”
“An encourager”
“A Girl after God’s heart”

They were walking around covered in stickers. Words of encouragement. Words of hope. Words of truth.

Our children’s pastor once said, “Just because they are children, it doesn’t mean that when they ask Jesus into their hearts that they get the Jr Holy Spirit.”

I love that. More importantly I love that my children are challenged in ways I wasn’t until I was an adult.

They are taught to pray and EXPECT things to happen. When they ask God for direction, they’re taught to EXPECT to hear Him.

Do they always see things happen or hear the answer they are looking for? No. But I love that when I’m sick, the first thing my 9 year old does is pray for me. And when she’s done she asks me if I feel any better.

She EXPECTS God to be God.

I was a camp counselor for the children’s ministry a couple weekends ago. I’ve done it for 3 years now and it’s always such a highlight.

There’s nothing like watching your 9 year old worshipping Jesus wholeheartedly. Or seeing your 7 year old praying for the people of Japan with her friends.

And watching a room full of children pray and ask God to give them an encouragement for each other? Priceless.

They were challenged to be people who “see in others what they don’t see in themselves.” So they prayed and encouraged and walked about 10 feet taller because of all the stickers and words of encouragement.

The one that got me the most? A young man who might, in the world’s eyes, be considered to have a disability. One sticker on him said:

“Nothing missing. Nothing broken.”

Wow. Just wow.

So today, call people names. Ask God to show you the great things He sees in those around you. Expect to hear Him and spread those words of encouragement and hope…especially to your children.

Comments

• Avatar Sarah Ruth says:

That is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes.

• Avatar Jamee says:

Oh sweet friend- I love this post!

• Avatar Amber says:

Brought me to tears. Thank you for the reminder to call my kids by the names that God calls them. 🙂

• Avatar Danielle says:

So true! Our pastors remind us often that the children and youth have the same Spirit in them and hear from the same God we do. They participate in worship, prayer and healing services as they feel led/called.

• Avatar Shannon says:

And now I’m crying …

• Avatar Natalie says:

Awesome, Kat! Thanks for sharing!

• Avatar Allie says:

You are so right. Kids come to prayer with every expectation. No doubts whatsoever that God will meet the need. I see this in my 4 y/o grandson all the time. He always says, “Just tell God”. Beautiful.

• Avatar Diana says:

This is so AWESOME! *tears* I soooooo want this for my grandkids. I love and praise and call them these loving names… but no one else does and they don’t for each other. My prayer is for Jesus to enter each and every one of their hearts… and their parents (my kids) too. Such prayers I send up each day. THANK YOU for this post. Blessings to you. ♥

• Avatar Anita says:

Hi Kat, just wanted to say thanks for this great post! Brought me to tears also 🙂

Have a good day,
    Anita

• this is awesome. I’ll share it with my boys too. Timely post, thanks!!
    aloha,
    monica

• Avatar Joy says:

Wow. What a great post. That last one really brought tears to my eyes. Wow. This reminds me that everything that I say to my children is helping them to make those “labels” for themselves. As a mom, I need to be so careful that I am building those words into their lives and allowing the “jr Holy Spirit” as you put it to work in their lives.
    Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Joy

• Avatar Ravit says:

Wow, I’m so happy to see people like you giving the attention to what is really important in life. “Nothing missing. Nothing broken…” I will never forget this…thank you so much!

• Avatar Nohemi says:

Gave me goosbumps…

• Avatar Stacy says:

Wonderful thoughts Kat! I know I’d like to do this more with my children.

Thanks!

• Avatar amanda says:

What a great idea! And I love what your children’s pastor said – “they don’t get the Holy Jr. Spirit!’ 🙂

• Avatar Jane says:

Like Amanda, I *loved* the idea that our kids don’t receive the “Junior Holy Spirit!” What an awesome idea to affirm Godly character traits and to remind kids that a beautiful heart matters more than a beautiful face. Thank you.

• Avatar KarenDavis says:

I so love this! It brought me tears on my eyes.
    I love calling them these names

• This is such an inspiring post and such a beautiful idea. It is so lovely when children are taught to think differently and to see things in a different way. It will give them such a unique insight into the world around them. My children are away with their grandparents but we will do this together as soon as they return.

• Avatar Rachel Ramey says:

Wow What an awesome activity.

• I love this idea of calling people positive names– names to inspire, names to summon someone to a higher place (a higher calling) than they would normally aspire to reach. It reminds me of our God, who is described in Romans 4:17 as “God, who gives life to the dead and *calls those things which do not exist as though they did*”. I may not be lovely, but God calls me lovely as though I am. I may not be pure, but God calls me pure as though I am. It is that powerful breath of the Creator that called forth something from nothing that now calls us daughters although we once weren’t. And to think that we have that same power to use words to encourage others? Breathtaking.