The Song That Makes Me a Blubbering Mess (and Profoundly Inspires Me)

By August 20, 2011Get Inspired

I’m sitting here in Starbucks. A grown woman, looking professional(ish), working away on my laptop…watching a Taylor Swift video.

The baristas are snickering (or maybe that’s my imagination). They’re wondering what’s next on my agenda? Justin Bieber? The Disney Channel?

Sigh. I’ll take the fact that I totally connect with my daughter’s 4th grade classmates because this is truly one of my top 3 favorite songs of all time.

From what I’ve read, because – yes – I’ve even googled and read about this song, Taylor wrote it and secretly recorded it for her mom. Then, one Christmas at a family gathering, she said she was going to share her new music video and played this.

I would be a ridiculous, weeping wreck.

In the evenings, as soon as the kids are in bed, I go out for a run. This is usually the first song I listen to. “Was this their best day?” “How could I have been a better mom?” I run and evaluate.

Some days I smile. Some days I cry. Every day I pray, “God, thank you for today. Help me make tomorrow their best day…”

I’ve been a little awol this summer. It’s been crazy. Lots of travel. Lots of stuff. All good. All over. You’ll see me around here, Twitter and Facebook a lot more now that the routines of the school year have swung into motion. (Also, note that the signups for the Fall Maximize Your Mornings Challenge will start on Monday. Stay tuned.)

Now go make this a “best day” with your kids.

What songs inspire you as a mom?

Comments

• Wow! I forgot what this song does to me. ‘Lead me’ written by a man for his wife and children but it also reminds me of my duty to help lead this sweet girl and how we need God in every moment of our day in and day outs. Its by an artist that I can’t remember the name. I always think of my husband and sweet girl. I cry and cry when I hear it.

• Avatar Lisa says:

Jen, if it’s the song I think you’re talking about, it’s done by a group called Sanctus Real. Is it the one where the chorus starts out, “Lead me, with strong handsÒ€¦” It’s one of my favorites too.

• Avatar Lisa says:

Oh my goodness–I cried too! That’s the first time I’ve heard that. What an amazing song!

I think I especially love it because Taylor is one of the biggest stars on the planet right now and what did she do? She wrote a song about her mom. Such a testament to the impact we have on our kids…even when they’re grown and famous gazillionaires. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Helen says:

Does it only have to be one?
    “One Little Heartbeat at a Time” by Steven Curtis Chapman kept playing in my heart during many, many long nights up with my little one.
    “In My Arms” by Plumb caught me by surprise on the radio one day this spring (I had to pull over, I was crying so hard).
    And my super cheesy one is a song from the 80s movie The Chipmunk Adventure: “My Mother”. It makes me want to be a better mom to my son, and also makes me so grateful for my wonderful mom.

• Avatar Sarah Chia says:

I love Bebo Norman’s song, “Home is Where You Are.” Makes me cry every single time!

I don’t think I’ve heard that one….I’m excited to go check it out!

• Avatar Sarah Chia says:

My favorite part is:

“You make the mornings seem so light with coffee in the air,
        But to be a mother and a wife is a heavy load to bear.
        So you gave your life away like the God inside your heart.
        Even though we’ve gone away, home is where you are.”

Sometimes, I start to want “my life” back, and this song reminds me that I am being like Christ when I sacrifice my life for my family.

• Avatar Karen Heinl says:

Hey Kat!
    I’ve never posted before, but follow. Couldn’t resist your question today. Here’s the song that brings me to tears each time – Find Your Wings by Mark Harris. Thanks for the inspiration that you are to me and so many others! Prayers for a “best day” with your precious ones! God Bless!

Karen (SpecialK)

Thanks for taking the time to share Karen! And thanks for the link…I’m listening right now.

• Avatar Tiffany Brown says:

This is my song to my son πŸ™‚ I used to sing this the whole time I was pregnant and just cry. Now that he is 4, I realize just how short that time is that we are helping them get there wings. Thanks for the song Kat I was crying up a storm to that one also. πŸ™‚

• Avatar Danielle says:

Wow – so I’m not at Starbucks but I am a weeping mess at my kitchen table. I listen to very little mainsteam music anymore (even my beloved Country music) so this was the first time I have heard this song. I would have to say this one, “In My Arms” by Plumb and “Turn Up the Music” by Point of Grace.
    thanks for sharing.

Danielle,
      I don’t even remember how I first heard this song. I don’t listen to the radio…it must have been on YouTube. I love Turn Up the Music too! And that whole album by Plumb is just wonderful.

• Oh. my. word. If I’d been a barista at that Starbucks I would’ve walked up to you with a latte (my treat) and a “I know, sista. I know.” I’m now a blubbering mess at my dining room table. What a beautiful song by Miss Swift. Her mom should be so proud. Thanks for sharing it.

Off to grab a kleenex.

• Avatar Kimmomof4boys says:

Have you watched or heard of Laura Story’s “blessings” http://youtu.be/1CSVqHcdhXQ ?

I an currently spending a lot of time with my Mom-in-law who is suffering from a very fast growing brain tumor, We have very little time left with her and she is in a lot of pain. What is so amazing is, she can see so many blessings, even in the midst of a very difficult trial, one that will probably be her last. I want eyes like that.

That Swift song is the first one I ever listened to with my full attention. I previously thought she was to cutsey, or pop.commercialized for me. A special young friend, age14, who was adopted from Russia 7 years ago sang it to her mom, her adoptive mom. Her mom was diagnosed with cancer 7 years ago, just after they brought her home from Russia. They already had 2 daughters close in age to Julia and she was brought in and made part of the family from the very start. She was loved like their own in every sense of the word. The song was sang at a home-school talent night, the young girl had never sang in public, she was wonderful, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house (even the men cried) I was so proud and her mother was so blessed. I am a big fan of Taylor Swift now and believe that God uses music, words, and music to breaks us and bring us to our knees… PS Her mom, is spontaneous and would be the one to grab the keys go out for ice cream and when you got home you would forgot you had a care in the world. The song described her to a tea. A PERFECT FIT

why? Because He wants our hearts to beat with a heart of flesh…..that, is something only He can give. AMEN

Tears are a blessing, “trials are mercies in disguise”* from the Blessings song.

• Avatar Kristiana says:

Amazing song. My tearjerker is Celine Dion’s ‘Miracle’.

Don’t knock the Biebs…. You need to watch the Justin Bieber documentary-“Never Say Never”-I was pleasantly surprised how awesome it was!
    xo

• Avatar Carrie Kelleher says:

I totally agree! I love this song and it gives me chills just thinking about it. Then when I saw the music video I was a mess! It mostly makes me sad because my kids are 10 and 8 now and I HOPE they think this when they are older looking back at their childhood with me. My 8 year old daughter and I went to the Taylor Swift concert just last week and I was SO SO hoping she would play it. She didn’t. πŸ™‚ But I know that was a great “best night” for my daughter and I for sure!

Carrie,
      I’m totally surrendering my cool card here, but can I say I’m just a bit jealous you went to a Taylor Swift concert? NeedToBreathe is opening for her this tour, right? LOVE their music…

Did you see them? What did you think?

• Avatar April Emery says:

this was awful … in a heart-wrenching way πŸ™‚ precious, beautiful and I hope my kids can look back on their youngest years with fondness like this. i pray God helps me each day make memories with my girls that make them smile one day when they are out of this nest πŸ™‚

• Avatar Amy says:

Wow! It’s not just you, Kat!

• Avatar Sandy says:

I think I heard that song at least a dozen times before I could get through it without crying.

• Avatar Angela Smith says:

Once again you have truly inspired & encouraged me! You are my FAV blog that I follow! Hope you know how much of a difference you are making in us!!

• Avatar Morgan says:

That Taylor Swift song does me in every time, too. I always think, “Right now, my kids and I are building the memories they will carry throughout their lives–what kind of memories are we making together today?”

I also turn into a puddle of tears every time I listen to the Plumb album “Blink.” Any song on there will make a wreck of me and send me running to hug my boys, but I especially love “In My Arms” and “Me.”

• Avatar Jennifer (@RadiantMornings) says:

Oh Kat – thanks for sharing – I love Taylor Swift (going to her concert in a month even – ha!)…her newest album came out when I just had my baby and there is one song that I play over in my head every night when rocking Jade before I put her down for the night – “Never Grow Up”…helps me remember to cherish these moments because even though some days seem so long, it goes by so fast.

PS – I’m with Kristiana – JBiebs “Never Say Never” movie is actually pretty good…can you tell I’m a Jr Higher at heart?! Good thing my husband is a Student Minister – ha! πŸ™‚

Wow, I’m going to have to bookmark this. Thanks for some great music recs everyone.

• Avatar Carlito says:

I have seen the video and I am truly gratified to know that it is inspiring indeed. I love the way you make yourself know to your great posts. I would love to visit here again.
    πŸ™‚

• Avatar hannamay says:

Lovely! I do really love this song, it reminds me something…Thank you Kat for posting.

• Avatar Mary P. says:

Thank you Kat! Never heard this before…it touched me and inspired me!
    Other songs that have inspired me as a mom.
    Generations- Sara Groves
    You’re Gonna Miss This -Trace Adkins

• Avatar Tammy says:

Holy cow, Kat… blubbering mess… EVERY TIME! But thank you for posting this song again. It reminds me that I need to stop being consumed with my to-do list and go play with my kids!! I love your blog. I love your heart. Thank you for sharing it with us. And thank you for encouraging and inspiring me to be a better mother so my kids will remember the best days.

• […] from Inspired to Action shared this Taylor Swift video recently and having never seen it before I was moved to tears. Not […]