How To Get Up Early Without Losing Sleep

Getting up early doesn’t need to mean that we get less sleep. Really. It doesn’t. In fact, we can quite easily get up early enough to read, exercise and pray without sacrificing any sleep at all.

The Super Magical Top Secret Solution

Isn’t that wonderful news?! Wanna hear the super magical top secret solution?

Go. To. Bed. Earlier.

Shocking, but true.

Now, before you slap me in the face, I know (BELIEVE me I know) that’s easier said than done. I have spent FAR too many nights going to bed the same day I needed to wake up.

And who do you think won the “Mean Mommy” award the next day?

Good Evening = Good Morning

So, the key to having a great MORNING routine is to have a great EVENING routine.

I love what Rachel from Small Notebook says, “I love staying up late รขโ‚ฌ” the quiet, the lack of interruptions, the feeling that I get a couple of extra hours added to my day. The only problem is that I’m borrowing the quality from the next day. ”

Truth.

This is why I encourage you to start your morning routine by getting up only 15 minutes earlier. Because you’re actually adjusting your morning AND evening routine. This is imperative. We can only burn the candle at both ends for so long. Eventually we’ll get burned.

Rarely do people stay up late because they’ve been uber-productive all evening. More than likely, it’s because they found their #3 best friend from the 2nd grade on Facebook and they HAVE TO SEE if she’s still rocking the poodle perm. So they check out her pictures. All 327 of them.

Not that I’ve ever done that. Of course.

It’s called the internet time warp, rabbit trail, black hole. And it usually sucks us in after our kids are in bed, our husbands have fallen asleep reading and the dishes are “soaking” in the sink.

Not that you’ve ever done that, either. Of course.

By having a solid evening routine we can get things done, have fun AND go to bed at a reasonable time so that we can get up at a reasonable time.

My Evening Routine

So what does an evening routine look like?

Jimmy and I divide and conquer when it comes to our evening routine. After dinner, he gets the kids ready for bed, while I clean the dishes and tidy the house. That way, once we put the kids to bed, the housework is done and we can both relax with a clear conscience.

Once the kids are in bed, here are the evening tasks I try to complete:
1. Clear out my inbox.
2. Finish any tasks that didn’t get done that day.
3. Write
4. Catch up with friends on Facebook and Twitter
5. Prepare everything I need for the next morning (iPod, running clothes, Bible, notebook, pen etc.)
6. Get ready for bed.
7. Go. To. Bed.

Isn’t it ironic that the very thing we desperately WANT to do in the morning is the very thing we desperately DON’T want to do in the evening. So when you’re headed to bed, pretend you just woke up and now you realized you have 7 more hours to sleep. Ah!

Tip – Bed Time Cue
Just as it’s important to set an alarm to wake us up, we need an alarm to tell us when to go to bed. It doesn’t need to actually be a regular alarm. For me, I go to bed when Jimmy goes to bed. I know that if I stay up later than him I’m most likely doomed to hours of mindless surfing.

For you, perhaps it’s the end of the news or your favorite show. Maybe it’s when you let the dog out or bring the dog in. Maybe setting an actual alarm would help you.

An Important Note – How To Waste An Evening

Just as we’re trying to be intentional about our mornings, it’s important to be intentional about our evenings. That doesn’t mean we need to work or be “productive” in the evening, but it does mean that we need to do things on purpose. So “flipping channels” or “surfing the web” probably aren’t the best uses of our time.

1. Flipping channels
Now, I confess. I’m not much of a TV watcher. So maybe I’m biased here, but mindlessly watching TV one of the worst ways we, as moms, could spend our precious quiet time. Tune in to a show you love. Watch a movie. Check the TV listings. Have a purpose when you watch tv. Don’t just turn it on and expect to find something that will benefit your life. Odds are, you won’t find it.

(Stepping off soapbox.)

2. Surfing the web
That index finger I was pointing at you a minute ago? It has now turned around and is poking my forehead. My biggest time waster is mindlessly following links on blogs, Twitter, Facebook, rss feeds etc.

As sad as it sounds, I’ve found that I need to set a time limit on my web surfing. I think it all goes back to the night I spent 45 minutes researching the Carrie Underwood/Faith Hill award controversy and watched the YouTube video multiple times “just to see if she was really upset.” Because, clearly, spending my time doing that added so much value to my life.

Sheesh. So timers are now my best friend. When the alarm goes off, I have to step AWAY from the computer to get out of the social media trance and be productive again. Sad, but true.

Tonight’s Challenge

My evening routine has improved DRAMATICALLY over the last year. I used to see midnight regularly. Now, I’m usually in bed around 10:30pm. I get a lot more sleep and my kids don’t seem so annoying. Or maybe I’m just not so cranky.

Tonight I challenge you to go to bed 15 minutes earlier, so that tomorrow you can wake up 15 minutes earlier and squash the “I’m too tired to get up excuse”. Are you up for the challenge?

Discussion Point: What time are you planning to go to bed tonight? What are your obstacles?

(Originally shared on February 2, 2010.)

Comments

• Kristi says:

I needed this again!! Thx!!

• Kat says:

You’re welcome Kristi! It might be just me, but my bedtimes seem to ebb and flow. I’m great for awhile and then my bedtime creeps later for a little, until I catch it. Slowly the ebbs and flows are smaller and smaller, though!

• Jenn says:

Thanks Kat – I just sent this to my husband to give him a better understanding of why I’m trying so hard to go to bed earlier – and hopefully he’ll stop making fun of me for being “an old lady” ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bobbey says:

Great tips! I’ve learned that if I’m not in bed and asleep by 10pm (9:30 is preferable), there’s no chance I’m going to wake up and get up at 5am. I feel like I need to set my own curfew so I’m home from evening events at a decent enough time to get to bed on time.

Bobbey,
      Curfew – good idea! My bedtime is about 10:30pm and I’ve created a rule for myself that I have to sleep at least 7 hours. So if I go to bed late, I have to change my morning alarm. Since I love my mornings so much it’s really helped motivate me to go to bed on time.

• Yes, yes, yes! I love this post. I’m a morning person, for sure, but even I could benefit from going to bed 15 mins earlier. I always notice how easily the day goes when I’m well-rested, and that doesn’t mean the same craziness of motherhood doesn’t occur, it just means my coping mechanisms are in fine tune. Definitely feel like a better mom when I’m not tired. Thanks for this!

Michelle,
      “Definitely feel like a better mom when Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm not tired” So true. I need sleep or caffeine. And sleep is cheaper and healthier. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kimberly says:

what stole my morning this AM is a child that woke me up a hour after a went to bed. I have problem sleeping and once I was awake I had a hard time getting back to sleep (husband snoring). Finally, I got my book (Anne of Avonlea) and read a few pages and fell asleep in the guest room. But my alarm could not get me out of bed…I really need more sleep. So I will have to adjust my morning.

Kimberly,
      Anne of Avonlea – I love it. You are a kindred spirit.

• Tatiana says:

That’s what I’m reading now too! And yes…those non-sleeping kiddos can really reek havoc on a girl’s sleep.

• heidi says:

fellow ‘anne’ fan! just re-watched the movies last weeks after seeing them and reading the books years ago! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fellow mama with a spirited sleeper in the house – i pretty much go to bed expecting i’ll be woken at some point in the night by my 3 y-o….he goes back to sleep easy, thank goodness, but it’s still broken sleep. ๐Ÿ™

• I used to faithfully get 7.5-8 hours of sleep a night. It didn’t necessarily make me eager to jump out of bed in the morning, but at least when I did get up, I felt rested. Nowadays it’s nothing for me to see 1 am, even though I have to be up between 6:30 and 7 am. Some of it is mindless internet surfing. Some of it is playing on my iPad (games, reading blogs, etc.), some of it is watching Netflix. A lot of it is a simple lack of sleepiness. It’s like I get my second win around 11 pm. Crazy.

Thanks for this great post. Awesome food for thought. I’m going to TRY to get to bed by midnight tonight. We’ll see what happens!

Chrissy,
      I read somewhere that computers and TV’s tend to stimulate our brains so that we don’t notice our sleepiness, even if we are actually tired. I know I get a little jolt of energy if I find a great blog post or get a fun email late at night. But when I try reading a book at night, I can barely keep my eyes open!

• Lauren says:

A thought – If you get your second wind at 11pm, maybe your bedtime should be 10:30.

• I 100% AGREE! I go to bed when our youngest children go to bed everynight. This allows me to get up several hours ahead of our children, spend time with the Lord, Write and get ready for our day! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love your ideas and have found when I stay up late, I’m only stealing time from tomorrow.

• Tatiana says:

My obstacle: the two month old who sleeps and wakes whenever he wants. haha. Guess I’ll give this a go in a few months when things are more regular. =0)

• erin says:

Tatiana, I completely get this! I have a 4.5-month-old who still doesn’t sleep great, so I never know when she’ll get up. Last night she fussed at 11:30, 2, and 5, and when my alarm went off at 6, I just couldn’t get up. My husband and I take turns at night when she wakes up, but I still hear her every time and get my sleep interrupted. It’s been really hard to get a morning routine going. I’d love advice from the more seasoned moms out there.

Tatiana and Erin,
        Honestly, I’d recommend working on a routine after your babies have some sort of routine. For now, just have a small devotional book, worship cd, and Bible handy so that you can fit your Quiet Time in whenever you have a moment free. It doesn’t need to be long or in depth, just small and consistent so that as your free time expands, so can your morning routine.

• Tatiana says:

Erin – I don’t know if I count as “seasoned,” but since I do have 2 kids, I’ll tell you the only bit of advice I can stand behind. Here it is: Just go with the flow. Life changing, isn’t it ? haha But seriously, it wasn’t until my first baby turned 6 months old that she finally started sleeping for really long stretches at night (as in 5 hours, wake up, then 5 more hours). This second time around with my son, I’ve learned to just go with the flow and just remind myself that he will sleep eventually. But boy is it hard.

• Tatiana says:

Kat, thank you…that’s exactly what I do. Nap time is generally my quiet time…even if there are dishes in the sink and more toys on the floor than tiles haha.

• erin says:

Thanks for the encouragement, Tatiana and Kat!

• Heather says:

Preach it sister!! Who can argue with your logic? It’s living a purposeful life. not just reacting from one thing to the next. Thank you for inspiring me! It has seriously changed my life to go to bed at a decent time and wake up early. I think the girls in my Facebook mymc Grp r struggling b/c of it being summer and kids going to bed later which leads to moms going to bed later. Goal tonight: 10. Very latest: 10:30.

Heather,
      Summer certainly can throw a kink in things. I’ve had to adjust my expectations for the summer as well. Ironically, having a consistent routine is all about being flexible.

• I was ALWAYS a morning person until I became pregnant and was put on bed rest for 3 months in 2003. I’m a nurse by profession, so getting up early has been my life. While off work awaiting the arrival of my son, I slowly morphed into my husband’s schedule (he’s a night owl). Although summer is a bit more challenging (our ministry takes us around the states and to the UK during the summer), I am striving to make mornings my time with Him again. Since we all didn’t get to sleep until 2 am this morning, I’m running a bit behind…

• Julie reynolds says:

Kat, this is great advice. I also get lost in the black hole of internet but I combine nine with TV since my find accident, he has a hard time going to sleep so I stay up with him so that her doesn’t get lonely and my morning routine has been thrown out the window. I am going to try thee 15 minutes earlier with him tonight!

• Laura says:

Those are excellent ideas! I get lost in the internet or TV and recently don’t watch TV unless there is something specific to watch. I also noticed when my husband goes to bed before me, I too stay up way too late! But lately my husband is getting home late, so I’ve been staying up late to visit with him. I may need to just go to bed and visit in the morning. Thank you for your ideas I really appreciate the obvious.

Laura,
      Isn’t it funny how sometimes the most obvious and simple things can also be the most profound?

• Emily says:

ITA, going to bed early is key. Still, I often wake up 2 hrs b4 get-up time and basically toss and turn, and end up sleepy anyway.

Emily,
      Oh, that has to be frustrating. I never like it when I wake up just before my alarm. Praying for a full and restful night of sleep for you tonight!

• Rachel says:

My biggest challenge is that I work until 2:30am 4 nights a pay period (two weeks). It throws off many of my days, but it is what we chose to do so that we don’t have to pay for childcare for our three little ones!

Though, on the days that I’m not working, I need to get better at getting to bed earlier. Thanks for reminding me of all the ways that I’m wasting my time after the kids are in bed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel,
      That would be a challenge! I hope an earlier bedtime the other days helps you adjust quickly to those four days!

• LeeAnn says:

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!!

• Jess says:

you are absolutely right!!! I find myself wasting so much time on Facebook and then going to bed at 2 am which of course actually destroys my morning on the next day…

• Well one major skip in the record is that teenagers really like to ‘chat’ at that time of day. Want to be available for those open windows with our son especially and that is when he seems to start unloading his day.

• Andrea says:

I ditched Facebook, that has been key. Not a solution for everyone but I certainly haven’t missed it. Secondly, I find it helpful to go to bed when I first feel tired at night , usually around 10pm. If I press on past that feeling sleepy time, I get a second wind and I could then stay up well past midnight. Following your bodies natural flow often works. Not sure if it’s true but I’ve heard that the hours of sleep you get before midnight are important ones. People who get more hours of sleep before midnight are able to thrive on less total sleep.ie. You’ll feel great with a 10pm-5am sleep schedule but a 1am -8am sleep schedule will leave you tired.

Andrea,
      SO true! I definitely get a “second wind” if I stay up too late and that’s a recipe for disaster. Great point!

• Julie says:

Any suggestions for when your children jump out of bed the minute you do? This is what keeps me burning the midnight oil.

Julie,
      It depends on how old your kids are. We have a clock for our 4 year old that turns yellow when he can wake up (it’s blue while he sleeps). We tell him to stay in bed until the clock it yellow. It really helps!

Our older girls (7 and 9) don’t usually get up too early, but last year my 7 year old did and she just joined me for my QT and read her Bible while I read mine.

You could also let them watch a Bible or worship video and tell them they are practicing having a Bible study time.

• Melissa says:

Julie – we just implemented a trick from a friend that has worked great!. We bought a really cool nightlight (the kind with the flashing, changing colors) and plugged it into an electronic timer plugged into an outlet. We set the timer for a specific wake-up time (we’ve been inching our way to 7am in five-minute increments) and explained to our toddler that he has to wait in his room “until the colors come on” and then he can get up and come downstairs. It’s worked like a charm! Maybe your kids are too old for such a technique, but perhaps some kind of variation would work for you. I don’t mind at all if my boys are awake, they just need to stay in their rooms until I’m ready for them ๐Ÿ™‚

• heidi says:

we use a light timer too! we call it his ‘good morning’ light and he’s to stay quietly in bed until it comes on – it’s a sunshine shape – how fitting, right!?

works like a dream.

• Carly says:

Great post! I’m in my second week of early morning and finding is SO HARD to go to bed early. When I was a teacher, before we had kids, I was in bed by 9 or 9:30 easily. Now I don’t blink an eye at 11 or 11:30. But I feel it the next morning and instead of getting up at 5:30 it’s been more like 6:30 which only gives me a 1/2 hour before the kids potentially wake up. Thank you for the challenge of going to bed 15 minutes earlier and waking 15 minutes earlier. Going to try it tonight!

• Courtney says:

So I’m not the only one who gets sucked into the vortex of the internet? Ah, thank goodness! I need to try the timer ๐Ÿ™‚

• Wow! Do you have a camera in our home? That is exactly our routine…that bad one where the computer sucks all my evening time ( I shoudln’t blame my poor computer it is my fault)
    I love the idea of a “go to be alarm” I am setting mine for tonight. 10pm! Which means I will hopefully be in bed with eyes shut at least by 10:30.

• Annie says:

I am loving this post cause I totally see myself in the whole thing. All I could say was yes, yes – that’s me.

I am taking you up on your challenge. This sounds crazy but instead of going to bed at Midnight, I’m going to go to bed at 11:45.

Annie,
      Doesn’t sound crazy, sounds practical. 11:45 is doable, 9:45 would be horrible. I’m all about simple, easy changes! Way to go!

• melanie says:

I needed to hear this again. Maybe my night time alarm can be when my eyes start feeling that dull burn from staring at a computer screen for too long. *eye roll* The past episodes of Master Chef seem like such a great treat at the time, but I almost always feel an emptiness after I spend so much time watching TV. Thanks for the reminder…

• cindy says:

Thanks for these tips. I’m going to put them to good use!

• Julie says:

Thank you for the tips about keeping the kids in bed longer in the morning. They would work for my almost 4 year old. Our two year old though often ends up in bed with us halfway through the night. I’m not sure he would agree to staying upstairs while I head down since breakfast is on his mind as soon as he gets up. Maybe a little video might work. I can fit in some devotion time within the day. What I would really love is thirty minutes to exercise.

• Kat says:

It sounds funny, but toddlers make great weights. I often use my 4 year old for leg exercises or pushups. He enjoys the ride and I get a great workout.

• Kimberly says:

I love the idea of setting an alarm to go to bed! Excellent!
    (Hopefully, I will respond to it better than the one in the morning!) 8)

• Kim says:

I love this post and NEEDED it ๐Ÿ™‚

I love how you said those quiet hours after everyone is asleep, I tend to try and savor those and it definitely steals the quality out of my next day. Such a good reminder!

My bed time as of late has been midnight. I would like to see it around 10pm. But tonight I will aim to be in bed by 11:45. Baby steps. You are so encouraging Kat and I am SO glad I am a part of your blog family now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great restful night!

• Bummer…I was hoping for a quick-fix-answer ๐Ÿ™‚
    Not the RIGHT and REASONABLE response.
    But you’re so right…I need to do this…
    Just do this!!!
    Thank you for this reminder…we actually just discussed this at dinner.
    How I’m going to head to bed an hour earlier tonight…which means I have minutes left.
    Thank you. Good, true words of advice/reminder.

• Suzie (from Sydney) says:

Great post! Really great! the wisdom, the staring-me-in-the-face truth and your honesty. I totally appreciated it all ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
    P.S. I plan to get to bed at 9.30. There I said it. May God grant me the wisdom to do it!

How did it go?

• Suzie (from Sydney) says:

well… it was nearly 10pm but in my defence, the extra time was used up in a very productive and helpful conversation with my darling husband so I don’t really mind that I missed my goal. But tonight, I’m totally on track for 9.30pm bed time ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lauren says:

My obstacles? I get sucked into what my husband is watching on TV – and it’s usually mindless garbage so I don’t even know why I do it. After reading this post and responses, I think the best idea for me would be to post a sign for myself near the TV reminding me to only watch “on purpose.” Thanks for the post!

• Raquel says:

I seriously LOVE all your posts! You hit the nails right on their heads…LOL! And you touch on all the issues I have really felt convicted about lately. I am definitely going to bed by 10 tonight… been putting in a lot of hours at church for different activities and projects and I am wearing myself out with not enough sleep. Thanks for the encouragement and awesome sense of humor! <3

• HoneyGomez says:

I really agree with you! Ugh! Just what I needed! I’m too restless at night hahahaha Anyway, thanks for sharing this…Love your post! ^_^

• heidi says:

I am a natural born night owl – so getting to bed at an early enough hour (so as to not take time away from the next day:)…) is always a challenge. i revel in that unlimited quiet and that seemingly limitless time to engage in whatever i please knowing i’ll not be interrupted…

but I KNOW i need to. i completely agree and have seen/felt the difference when i’ve gotten adequate rest vs. when I have not. it’s not pretty.

what i’ve found to be a key component to helping get to sleep at a decent hour is to GET READY FOR BED much earlier than i really *need* to. Generally pretty soon after our kiddos are in bed – i get into my pjs as well and take care of any evening chores right away so when i find myself nearing the magic ‘go to bed!’ hour – i’m all ready – i won’t tack on an additional 15-20 minutes after the fact. small thing, but makes a big difference to me.

glad to know i’m not alone in the struggle. stay strong fellow night owl mamas! one day these kids will all be teenagers and we’ll be fighting to get them OUT of bed! ha!

heidi of:
    wonderwomanwannabe.com
    operationorganization-mn.com

• Kat says:

Sooooooo true. I don’t do that as often as I’d like to, but when I do get ready early, it makes such a difference.

• […] go to bed earlier and wake up a little earlier […]

• […] I needed this:ร‚ย  How to Get Up Early Without Losing Sleep […]

• Ashley says:

I still believe in the motto “Early to Sleep, Early To Wake”.

• Lisa says:

WOW!!! Thank you so much for this post. It really changed my thinking.

Baby #4 came along a month ago. I have really been scratching my head as to how to maximize my mornings… I hardly know if it’s morning or evening, Tuesday or Thursday. It all blurs together.

Now, after dinner, we set the table for breakfast and put out the cereal (which the kids think is hilarious). I also prep the coffee and make sure we have juice, milk, and oatmeal ready to go. (One of my kids is on a milk supplement that has to be mixed up and I make oatmeal overnight in the crock pot so we aren’t putting multiple bowls through the microwave in the morning). We have also started running the dishwasher in the afternoon rather than overnight so we have one less chore in the morning. Then, while we are getting the kids ready for bed, we also get ourselves ready for bed. It feels so great to be in my pajamas by 8 PM! As soon as we get the kids settled, my husband and I get the baby and head upstairs to our room. We read, talk, eat junk food, watch a movie, etc. We find that space is more “ours” and more relaxing than being in the public rooms of the house where there is still a residual feeling of being ringmasters at the circus even if all the clowns are tucked in bed. I am finding I am not getting to bed any earlier – and, depending on how the night goes, I am not getting up any earlier – but being prepared for the day has drastically changed our stress level. For the better!

Now… as far as devotional time… I am still working on that. I have a really hard time praying or reading my Bible unless I am totally alert and awake. Which doesn’t happen these days. My goal is to spend the first nursing time of the morning reading the Psalms.

Thanks again for the encouragement – keep up the good work! I am going upstairs to eat some ice cream now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lisa,
      Girl…you are a MACHINE!! I was NOT doing all those things when my youngest was 1 month old. You’re brilliant!

One thing that helped me when my kids were babies, was to listen to scripture. It might be too dark to read while the baby nursed, but I could always just put my iPod on and listen to a passage. It might not have been my deepest, most profound devotional times, but they happened and God used those times – even in all their imperfectness.

I’d love to hear how you organize other aspects of life with 4…

• These are great tips to get enough sleep and wake up early. I admit, I’m the type of person who has a complicated sleep pattern because I work 9 hours at night and have a part time job during the day. There are times , I have to sleep less than 5 hours and wake up almost late for the night shift. I’m glad I came across your blog, it has provided some helpful tips to sleep better.

• Jennifer says:

I found this through a link on “fimby” – what a great post – and great comments from so many too! I didn’t realize that there were so many of you out there like me. Here is one of my problems that I didn’t notice mentioned: I know some people who can’t wait to get into their cozy beds and go to sleep but I only get that feeling when I am either sick or WAY too exhausted. I have no trouble falling asleep or staying asleep but it would be so much easier to go to bed if I had that delicious “can’t wait to crawl in and close my eyes” feeling all the time… Still, I’ll re-read this and try out some of the tips.

Jennifer,
      I hear you. I have to force myself to go to bed. I’m like a 5 year old. ๐Ÿ™‚

It definitely helps me, though, if I turn off electronics (tv, computer, ipad, iphone etc) and pick up a book and a cup of tea. Also, if I’m all ready for bed, I can take advantage of sleepiness when it hits instead of being sleepy and STILL having to get ready.

Thanks for stopping by!

• K. says:

I check in on your blog regularly, though this is my first comment ๐Ÿ™‚ As a first time mom of an almost 6 month old, I am really trying to establish a good morning routine. My days truly are 10x’s better when I set my alarm to get up before my daughter. It’s SO hard though because while trying to get to bed earlier, I’m simultaneously feeling guilty about it because my husband is a night owl, and so is my best friend! I often try to keep myself awake at night just so I can spend time with them. My husband is starting to encourage my bed time because he knows my goals, but my best friend (who perhaps I should mention is struggling with infertility) is most available and in need of “girl time” late at night. I need to find away to stick to my bedtime for my baby’s sake (and mine) while still finding ways to care for these other important relationships in my life. How do you do it?
    Thanks for listening, and thanks for your inspiring blog!

K.,
      Welcome! I’m thrilled you took the time to comment.

I think it’s wonderful that your husband is beginning to support you in your effort to go to bed and get up earlier! That’s so important.

I don’t know all the details of your circumstances, but here are a few ideas:

– If your husband is staying up late, does that mean he goes in to work later? If so, could you have morning coffee together before he goes to work?

– Could you meet your friend for lunch during the day or could you chat on the phone as you get dinner ready?

– Sometimes just adding additional connection times to our relationships can fill the gap when we’re going to bed earlier.

– If you’re getting up early to have time with God AND plan AND exercise, perhaps you could move your planning and/or exercise to a later time so that you don’t have to get up/and go to bed as early.

You might already be doing this, but….be sure to pray and ask God to help you find an ideal solution for you to be able to nurture your relationships with Him, your husband and your friend.

You also asked how I do it. I think our circumstances are quite different and it’s not such a challenge for me. My husband starts work at 7:30am so he goes to bed at a reasonable hour. Also, our kids are great sleepers and go to bed relatively early. That allows for plenty of time just with my husband or to have coffee with a friend in the evening and still get home in time for a decent bed time.

I hope something in there helps! I’ll be praying for you…

• K. says:

Kat,
        Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me! Your suggestions are great! I am happy to report that I went to bed almost an hour earlier last night (I was really tired). And BEFORE going to bed, the blessing of rain canceled my husband’s evening tennis lesson so we had some time together…I also fit in a phone convo with my friend while grocery shopping yesterday. You must’ve really prayed for me because things seemed to align perfectly for me to get a great night’s sleep and feel wonderful this morning! (Even got my workout in –a video — while baby took her morning nap).
        By the way, my husband is a teacher so his summer schedule is a lot more lax (doesn’t work until noon), but once September hits, we’ll both be forced to be morning people! Kind of looking forward to it…
        Thank you for your prayers and encouragement…it’s amazing the difference some support can make, even if from a “stranger”…or distant sister in Christ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kat says:

Yay! I’m so glad you had a great evening/morning!

• Jana says:

Hi Kat,
    I was just wondering how much time you have to yourself in the morning before the kids usually start getting up.