What I Learned About Y-O-U in the Philippines

By June 15, 2011Compassion, Get Inspired

If there is one thing I’ve learned on my trip to the Philippines, it’s that we are stronger and braver than we think we are.

I was terrified to go, but I went anyway and guess what? The fears I’d invested in never came to be.

“I’ve experienced many terrible things in my life, a few of which actually happened.” – Mark Twain

I met people just like you and me who endure things I didn’t think I could endure. But their strength reminded me that I’m wrong.

Step Up…

Whatever problem you’re facing, you can overcome it. Whatever fear haunts you, you can defeat it.

You are so much stronger than you think you are

That thing that you long to be? It’s right within your grasp. Because you’re not on this journey alone. God goes with you, behind you and before you. And He’s so much stronger than we think He is, too.

Together? Unstoppable…

Pray big, follow hard.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. – Ephesians 3:20-21

Photo credit

Start Something…

It doesn’t really matter where you’ve been or where you’re at right now.

All that matters is where you’re going.

So let’s get going. Take 5 minutes and:

• Write down 1 thing you want to define you. Do it now. – It doesn’t have to be the best thing or the coolest thing. Just 1 thing that’s important to you.
  • Write down 1 simple action you can take today towards that goal. – Make it crazy simple. A marathon starts with one step. A flood starts with a drop of rain. Big dreams start with small things.
  • Go do it.

Don’t over think, over plan or over do. Don’t let any doubt get in the way of that 1 thing. Because you…?

You are SO much stronger than you think you are.

Tell Us

What’s your 1 goal and your 1 action?

Need an action idea? Here’s one.

Comments

I want my kids to love God wholeheartedly so my 1 action today is to make sure we have a family devotion time. It’s been hard getting in a rhythm this summer.

• Avatar Kimberly says:

Amen! We had the discipline of Bible Study Fellowship… but now we struggle to “find the time”. Thanks again for all the encouragement!
      I want our whole family to be in God’s Word DAILY! 8)

We do this as part of our bedtime routine with the girls. I read that a lot of people do their family devo time during a meal, assuming everyone’s together during that time.

• Avatar Nisha says:

I desire to complete a 5k this summer. My 1 action: start walking/jogging! I kinda wish I didnt write this…now I have to put my behind in motion!

Thanks so much Kat, for inspiring us!

You can do it! This was one of my goals for the year, but I have not found one that works in our schedule. I know, excuses, excuses. But really, I am starting to have my knee problems again. I was able to do a 5k Brain Tumor Walk in support of a friend in May, and another 5k Walk to Cure Psoriasis is coming up next weekend in support of a friend’s friend. That has been a blessing. Good luck with your 5k Nisha!

• Avatar Heather says:

It’s like u are my own little cheerleader! Love it! Fits perfectly with the verse that’s been swimming in my head: ” Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9. Wherever (and whatever!).

• Avatar Heather says:

Forgot my goal/action!! Goal: for children to grasp the idea of Gods grace. Action: to pause before my response and consider if I am speaking words of grace to my boys or trying to control them for my benefit.

This is great, Heather! Mine is similar. I think I just need to respond instead of react. Being aware of our feelings helps me with this.

• Avatar Penny says:

My goal is to quit drinking soda so I can afford to sponsor a Compassion child. This is big for me. I love love love love love my Coca Cola. I should be their picture child or mascot. Seriously.
    So my first step is no more coke after 7:30 at night. Tea or water. (on the plus side, maybe I’ll sleep better).

eep

• Thank you for inspiring me! My goal to minister and encourage parents of special needs children —my action step, reach out.

• Goal: learn Chinese (more) for ministry
    Action step: work on Rosetta stone

• Avatar Pat says:

Exercise everyday!!!

• Avatar sarah (shorty) says:

We had a missionary here from India and thoughts of why God would choose me or my family to be born here have been crawling around in my head a lot. I have talked to the kids over and over since he came about how God doesn’t do anything on accident. I am so thankful it was not an accident that you started a blog and I started reading it. I am truly blessed to be inspired by you day in and day out. Living a purpose filled life is something that takes time and thought and having someone to push you is what we all need. Thank you doesn’t do justice to how I feel but I must thank you for what you are and will be to those around you!!

Action- I am having some allergic reactions to food and am trying to figure out what is going on inside of me. It takes patience and diligence. I have a lot of steps that need to be taken but only one can be taken at a time. I am not a patient person so patience is the action I want to work on. One step at a time is all I can do and all I want to focus on.