I’m a Runner, Not a Writer. Until Today.

During my jr. high and high school years, I often spent my saturday mornings running around my neighborhood. And then, I’d come home, get my bike and ride around my neighborhood. And then, I’d come home, get my roller blades and skate around my neighborhood.

For fun. Yes, I was weird.

Athletics just came naturally to me.

Some people are writers. They’d write if there was no one to read it. They’d write if they didn’t have a blog. Writing just comes naturally for them.

Last week, in the Philippines, I would have happily traded all my running endurance for some writing endurance. I normally write about 2 posts per week. To write 5 days in a row after very long, hot, tiring days tested my mental capacity.

I’m pretty sure I used all the words I’d ever known by Wednesday.

Finishing my last post on Friday, felt like crossing a finish line. Or perhaps, slowly being pushed across the finish line by the race ambulance.

It was hard, but it was worth it. It stretched me in many ways. I cried more than a few times.

But somewhere between meeting these girls and reading my friend Emily’s consistently beautiful words, I decided something…

IT’S TIME TO STOP WITH THE NEGATIVE SELF PROFILING.

I’ve often said, “I’m not a writer…blah, blah, blah, blah… It doesn’t come naturally to me…blah …blah …blah… ”

But running my first race didn’t exactly come easily either. I trained. I pushed. I decided to run. To keep running.

After last week, I’ve decided to be a writer. I’ve decided to learn to write well and to push myself to do it often. Because I’ve seen how words can change the world.

I may even learn how to use a semicolon properly. Maybe.

What about you?

Are there limiting lies you’ve been telling yourself?

Your too something to do something?

You know what? IT’S NOT TRUE!!

What do you need to decide you are? A runner? A patient mother? A cook? A hostess? A good wife? A healthy eater? A great student?

A sponsor?

Decide what you want to be and start being. Let’s stop saying I’m not, or I can’t.

It’s time to say I am…

So, tell me, what are you?

Comments

• Emma says:

LOVE IT!
    As of today, I’m owning up to being an artist ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks Kat; you’re a champion encourager!

• Joyce says:

You are an inspiration Kat!! Thanks for all you do.

I want to be a better wife for sure.

Let me know about the semicolon when you found out more about that. =p

• RaD says:

Hmmmm…. Good stuff!

What am I? A photographer? nah, just for fun. A writer? again nah, just for fun. A mom, a wife, a friend, …. a world changer?

• Oh Kat, after last week…. You are SO a writer. I saw it with my own eyes. Before our trip, I was a sponsor. Now, I feel more like an advocate.

• Kat says:

You have been SUCH an encouragement (and inspiration!) to me Tsh…

On a random note? Apparently, my watch alarm has been going of each of the last 3 (4?) mornings at 3:50, 3:55 and 4:00am and I’ve slept through ALL of them every single day. Glad we woke up to them on Saturday!

• Heather says:

So true. My previous limiting descriptor was that “I cant work well in chaos”. Well having 3 boys in 4 years forced me to work in chaos. There are moments when I do well in the chaos. Baby steps. ๐Ÿ˜‰ my other limiting label is “impatient mom”. Again, I would be angry all the time if I didn’t pray and work diligently on this one. Thank u for the inspiration to keep working toward my new label “patient mom who works well in chaos” (with God’s ever present strength!)

• I’m a writer too! Welcome to the family, girl! I’ve LOVED your posts from the Philippines. Isn’t it CRAZY how God has been weaving that story for you since BIRTH?? Makes me tear up just writing it.

• I am creative; now I will put all of that into action for my children, my husband and myself!

• Jamee says:

Yesterday in my new Bible study we looked at the first chapter of Jeremiah. The Lord tells Jeremiah that he is a prophet and Jeremiah says back to the Lord, I don’t know how to speak. I am just too young.

The teacher pointed out that those are the most limiting words we can say “I’m not…” and “I’m just….”

Made me think, how am I limiting the Lord’s power in my life by telling Him what I am instead of listening to Him tell me what I am…..

And you are most definitely a writer!

• Olga says:

I AM A GOOD TEACHER: Teacher (Mom, Grandma & Wife) I am going to start being more of a doer, that saying Im going to do.. I am going to start by that “to do list” and work from there.. Thanks so much Kat for your daily words of inspiration and sharing your daily life with us out here in the BIG world. God Bless and have a joyful day.. Olga<3

• Christin says:

Kat, truly awesome. I am a writer and encourager. {Like you} *wink*

I want to be a better writer though, would you share your journey and resources with us as you make that journey as well? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kristiana says:

Yippee Skippey! You are finally calling yourself what we have already been calling you! XOXO

• Jennifer says:

It is no coincidence that I woke up this morning and checked my email. A few days ago I started to think about my life as a wife and mom. I started to realize that I was allowing negative thoughts of myself limit me from being my absolute best. I have not been enjoying my life. The life I asked God for. The life He so generously blessed me with. I decided to stop allowing negative thoughts of who I think I should be (maybe according to societies standards, I’m not sure) stop me from living in the moment with my kids and husband. So then this morning I checked my email, something I try not to do until later in the day. Your post I’m a Runner, Not a Writer. Until Today. really inspired me to stick to the decision I made a few days ago. Stop limiting myself! So thank you!

• Susan says:

As you described yourself – I do not consider myself a writer either and have struggled with the same self-labeled opinions of myself – it is time to jump outta the cave and let whatever words do come out – come. Writing is hard for me but you know….all things worth doing are hard. The possibilities are endless – we can contribute and change things for the better. Words are powerful! You are awesome and definitely an inspiration – thanks for being authentic and sharing.

• Stacy says:

It’s funny how we think we can’t do something that others believe we can do. I’ve always thought your writing was excellent. So, I’m glad you are calling yourself a writer now.

I often say I am not a writer and I might change that . . . I’d like to be a more confident encourager.

• Laura says:

I am a writer! I am an artist! I am a good mother! You bet. It’s so easy to put ourselves down and think we’re “JUST” a mom or that everyone else is better at _____ than we are. We are the best person to be us! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for this inspirational post!

• Christine says:

Negative self-profiling! Yes! I’ll have to think about that. I have a lot of negative things I say to myself, depending on the day. It’s time to speak against those more consistently. Thanks for the words of encouragement! I so appreciated following your posts last week.

• You are definitely a writer, your words have touched me greatly, even before the Compassion trip. Do not let the enemy feed that doubt, thanks for being so honest about it.

• Laura says:

You definitely ARE a writer! I am now a sponsor because of your beautiful words. I am also changing myself in other ways. I love the new me – more confident, Christian oriented, physically fit, and just happier. Yes, as women, we do the negative talk, but it is time we stop! We are awesome people!

• Girlfriend, I coulda told you that you were a writer! Do you want me to list a few more in case you doubt? Encourager, Inspire-er, Motivator and oh, yeah, blogger. ๐Ÿ˜‰

a

• Amy D says:

I’m a writer. And an “athlete”. I AM A SWIMMER! (because that’s what I really want to be!)

• I CAN change the world…one diaper at a time! (ok, ok…my preschoolers are out of diapers, but I thought it was cute – hehe!). I’m always on to new adventures and I love this confident attitude. I mean when can one claim to be _______ (fill in the blank)? I love that I’m a wife and mom with multiple hats. Some mornings I’m a writer/blogger…other morning a property manager. Some days I try to be a good friend.

• daniella says:

I think that’s what makes your blog such a good read; it’s refreshing, honest, short and to the point. I saw a saying somewhere that a real, TRUE artist (writer, singer, painter, etc.) always questions his/her abilites and whether they’re cut out for this.

As always (sounding like a broken reccord), thanks for the encouragement, Kat!

• Courtney says:

Well, as everyone else has said, you are most definitely a writer! I’m glad you are believing it now. You are spreading encouragement around the world with your words. Own it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sandra says:

This post is so timely for me. I have been praying about my writing and if I should continue. My grammar skill are lacking, my spelling is even worse. But GOD…He has always put a desire in my heart to communicate. I recently asked Him to take away the desire if it was of me and confirm it if it was from Him. I’m taking this as confirmation ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for writing about working towards your desires. It encourages me to know I don’t have to be perfect just obedient.

• Jeremie Shaffer says:

I am a MORNING PERSON! And YOU are an incredible writer!!

• Ashlee Simmons says:

Great post!! So refreshing and inspiring. I feel the same way you do! It’s funny how God continually nudges us in the right direction for ourselves. Keep up the good work and you definately re-inspired me to keep following my dreams and doing the things I tell myself I can’t do!!!

• Kris says:

I am so thankful to have stumbled over to your blog! I appreciate your encouragement and motivational support for mom’s everywhere! Your blog is a blessing!
    I am a wife, a mother, a runner, a writer, a sponsor, an advocate… a friend, a morning person…. I am learning to be most defined by who Christ says that I am. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Bless you, and your ministry!

• Love this post! I struggle sometimes in this quest to be a writer. I feel I’m never good enough or what I have to say does not matter to anyone. But God has shown me that I can use words to increase His kingdom. I am learning to rely on His power and not my talent to minister to others through my writing.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Sarah says:

WOW- thank you. Though I may not be it right now, I am committed to becoming an organized, patient, joyful mommy to however many children God gives me! Thank you, Kat!

• xinme says:

When I first read the title of your post, I thought you must have gotten it backwards and meant, “I’m a Writer, Not a Runner. Until Today” because I knew you were sooooo a writer, so I figured maybe you’d started some couch to 5k thing or something!!!!! Ha — you’ve had me fooled, Kat! I have only discovered you recently, but I have very much enjoyed your writing!

I’ve always loved to write, but it’s only been lately that I’ve allowed myself to consider myself “a writer” — as well as “an artist.” It really boils down to a journey of discovery of who we are in Christ, I think ๐Ÿ™‚ The title of my blog says some of it . . .

• Ahhh this hits close to my heart. I am a runner and a writer:) It’s amazing how running teaches me soooo many lessons about life! Yes, I need to stop telling myself “I’m not ….” I am an overcomer, a woman of joy, a beautiful child of God, a worshiper, a singer, an amazing wife….
    Now that felt good!!!

• Trina says:

Kat – you ARE a writer! It may be hard work for you, but I enjoy your writing voice – it’s one of the main reasons I followed you over here from your contributing posts on Passionate Homemaking.
    I confess to being a writer, too – and maybe feel a little more validated in that title now that I have published my first ebook! (Hooray!) But I couldn’t have done it without a great proofreader who turned out to be an excellent editor. She’s interested in doing more proofreading and editing for bloggers – and she knows how to use a semi colon! Contact me and I can put you in touch with her.
    trintjerenae@gmail.com

• tereza says:

Great post!! Well written and very encouraging.

Like you, I have come to grips with my dreams and my inabilities but with God everything is possible. So yeah, I am a great Mom, and yeah, I can write and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!! I could even be a runner but I really don’t care to. ๐Ÿ™‚

Look forward to reading more of your posts!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Haley says:

Great post!Thanks for your encouragment.You are finally calling yourself what we have already been calling you!Congrats^^

• Valerie says:

I can help you with the semicolon thing. Check this out: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
    but you may not want to poke around the rest of the site. ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep passing out those torches, friend. It’s getting brighter.

• Teena says:

Kat, just wanting to stop by and let you know that we added to our Compassion family tonight. My 13 yr old has been begging to sponsor a child. We already sponsor one from Indonesia and a correspondent from Ethiopia. But she wanted this one…. after we read your posts, Emily’s, Shaun’s and all of the bloggers…. our heart was pulled toward the Philippines. We also know of some friends there… so TONIGHT Alyssa (my 13 yr old) picked JAZZY RAIN…. she is 7. I posted a pic of her on my blog if you want to check it out.

Thank you… your word last week… and this week touch deep.

One child at a time. Oh and I am in the process of becoming an Advocate.

Much love….

• Emily says:

A good homemaker. A non-messy. ๐Ÿ™‚ A put it back when you are done kind of gal. Not naturally, but I’m deciding to be today!

• […] of a rabbit trail, but follow along with me for a moment . . . As an artist (did you hear that???? I called myself an artist!), I have become quite fond of collage work, and recently picked up a library book that challenged […]

• I can relate to the aspiration of learning how to use a semi-colon properly! Maybe I will, too. Thanks for the good thoughts for me to ponder.

• […] that I have the Jillian Michaels of the inspirational blogging world in my […]