Starting the Day Off Right
Since the beginning of 2011, I’ve been trying to get up early to pray, read, and gain focus for my day. When I do this, I start the day off with such peace, focus, and strength.
But as my sweet children rise and our day begins, something starts to happen. Slowly, it builds. Slowly, it steals my joy. Too many tasks. Trying to meet a deadline. Children asking for food, drink, toys, help. Children hurting themselves, children getting into things, phone ringing, someone texts, the TV is too loud, someone needs their diaper changed — I find it hard to see God in these moments. He is there, but I cannot see Him. My focus is narrowed to this one chaotic moment and I cannot see any further than that.
I woke up to say hello mornings… and I say goodbye too quickly.
Hello Afternoons. And Evenings Too.
I wanted a way to make my hello mornings last all through the day, so I compiled a list to share with you of ways to maintain the early morning focus in the afternoons and evenings too.
* Hourly Prayer – set your phone alarm to go off hourly, to remind you to take two minutes to stop and pray.
* Scattered Scripture – write sticky notes, use index cards, type it on your computer and print it out. Displaying scripture throughout your home will serve as an inspirational reminder and help keep you focused.
* Devotional Music – make a playlist of worship songs that most inspire you and listen to it as you go about your day.
* Handy Reminder – write it on your hand! For example, I sometimes struggle to remember that children need grace to be children — they are not adults after all, and need grace as they learn. So I wrote on my hand, “Have Mercy” to remind me to be gentle and merciful when I am in a chaotic situation with my children.
* Listen to Scripture – purchase an audio version of the Bible and listen to it on your iPod during down times (when children are having quiet time, napping, or independent play). It makes cleaning and other tasks more enjoyable as well! In addition to the
Bible, consider purchasing audio books from your favourite Christian authors.
I’m sure if you put some or all of these points into practice, you will feel more refreshed and more focused all through the day.
With all of the unique hand-stamped jewelry out there these days, you can wear the words and names that are most important to you – names, words, dates – close to your heart. I love that this is in style!
Beki at The Rusted Chain is one of the creative beauties making gorgeous hand-stamped jewelry with real meaning behind it. Plus, she’s really funny and a fab photographer!
Today, you can win a $25 gift certificate to The Rusted Chain and get a little something fun for yourself!
How To Enter
There are four ways to enter the giveaway.
1. Leave a comment here and share any tips for keeping your focus on God all throughout the day.
2. Tweet this week in the main #hellomornings stream on Twitter.
3. Share an encouragement this week on Facebook.
4. MYM Challenge participants can also enter by interacting with your MYM Accountability Group (via Twitter or Facebook.)
(FYI – Last week’s winner was Courtney!)Leave a Comment