Is God Safe?

By February 27, 2011Get Inspired

As my kids get older and spend more time away from home, I have to learn to let them go and trust that God will protect them and keep them safe even when I’m not around.

But will He?

Is it really right to expect God to protect us and to keep me and those I love… healthy and safe?

Is that really our goal in life? To arrive at death safely after 80 years of comfort?

It’s the American dream, but is it God’s?

To live easy and protected?

For the sake of my children, may I live life more boldly.

Because, perhaps the Christian faith isn’t actually ultimately all about us.

Perhaps it’s about His glory, not my safety, happiness or peace.

I am guaranteed nothing in this life except that He will be glorified in the end. I want to be a part of that Glory-Giving now.

Because where He is famous…?

Where He is Famous?!!!!

Where He is Famous…!!!

Hope rises!

Joy conquers!

And All. Our. Fears. are unmasked as dying shadows in the brilliance of His Love and His Redeeming Grace.

What could compare, my friends?

What. Could. Compare…?

Talking About It…

Do you, like me, ever struggle with the fight between fear and following hard after Him?

Comments

• Avatar LeeAnn says:

Yep, it’s a daily struggle. But I’m still in the fight!

LeeAnn,
      Me too. And I’m trusting that the more we fight the clearer the way will be for our children to follow hard after Him.

• Avatar Lara says:

Girl. You nailed this one. I remember when I realized that prayers for my children’s safety really weren’t the best prayers. Walking through my own valleys is what has purified my faith.

We don’t want the devastating to fall on our kids–and I still breathe those in moments of fear–but ultimately the victory comes in believing Him to always, always, always work everything for our good and His glory. No other place upon which to stand.

Great post, my friend.

• Avatar oh amanda says:

Altho’ I do think God promises protection (Psalm 91 comes to mind) I totally agree that the prayers we pray are so tiny. Why pray for protection and comfort and sameness when we can pray for adventure, boldness and creativity?

I so want MORE for my kids. I want them to be DIFFERENT. To see and do the FULL of what God has for them. More than we can ask or imagine, right?

Amanda,
      Ah, yes. Thanks for clarifying that. I do pray for His protection and I believe He wants to give it..

And at the same time I pray that I’ll want His glory….more.

I just love your heart!

• Avatar Lindsey says:

Psalm 91 is a beautiful Psalm, and while it DOES promise God’s protection, I don’t think that it means our kids will always be healthy and unharmed — and some might face death. I think this passage says that no evil will befall the believer BUT what God’s love permits. And maybe that no matter what the “bad” is, it will not conquer. I look at the child who suffers with a brain tumor, the missionary’s baby who is martyred alongside their family; the countless men and women of faith in Scripture who have been afflicted..and impossible as it may be for me to understand, I know that the love of God HAS purposed it — for our good & His glory. Do I struggle with it? Countless moments of the day. I love that you said you want so much more for your kids than safety – “to see and do the FULL of what God has for them” — I love that 🙂

praying alongside of you for our little ones

• Avatar Taylor says:

Well timed, Kat!
    I, along with a couple other moms on our team here, are putting our children in a preschool for the first time. Preschools that don’t speak a lot of English…don’t share our values many times…and I have found myself a lot of times scared to death of our kids growing up in a different culture.
    But I came to realize something. Because we are talking with our kids about what they are learning in school and turing it into a teachable moment…because we are praying over our kids and reciting scripture and most importantly because GOD IS IN CONTROL NO MATTER WHAT WE DO, our kids are learning to be in this world and not of it. I would never have guessed my kids would be where they are now. I would have chosen a different route. But I choose this day to trust God and to know that He has a plan.

Thanks for sharing! Oh and thanks for the CD! We are rockin out in the car! 🙂

• Avatar Mandy says:

Great post! My husband and I have been talking about this lately. I love Shane & Shane’s music too, so it was a win-win! Blessings, Mandy

Mandy,
    The Shanes make some incredible music! Excellent and passionate. Definitely inspiring!

• Avatar Marci says:

Thank you for sharing…and thank you for the video. Beautiful song, beautiful message, and beautiful voices! 🙂

~Marci

• Avatar Mariposa says:

I have always LOVED this song! I’ve never heard this version with her… How cool. Thanks for sharing! Blessings on your week, amiga! 🙂

• Avatar Lindsey says:

Kat; Good post, I struggle with that too..a lot…it doesn’t seem right to pray fervently for God’s glory to be increased BUT ONLY if He keeps my little boys safe, and healthy, and doesn’t make me too uncomfortable, etc.

I just came across an article this morning about this that you might find interesting: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/deeper-walk/blog/20576-a-different-way-to-pray

“Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”

• I have much older children, several grown. And we went through some tough times with 2 of them. And for months I would pray, “keep them safe and bring them back to you”. I finally got the point where I could pray “whatever it takes, whatever is your will, bring them back to you”. It was not easy, and it has not been perfect. They both are still alive, and not in jail, lol. They both are seeking to serve God, though not how I would like to see it, but it isn’t up to me.
    We want is best for our children eternally, therefore we have to give God space here on earth to bring that to fruition,
    Bernice

• Avatar Elizabeth K. says:

This is my whole life! My word for the year is “trust”; but the fear has a way of sneaking in, doesn’t it, when it’s our kids? And yet He loves them even more than we can!

• Avatar Kara says:

It’s a constant struggle.
    After our daughter died, I really thought I’d wrestled through it…but honestly it resurfaces all the time.

Just posted about worryfear last week and what it really amounts to:

• Avatar Diana says:

YES I struggle with this! It seems that I do so more now that I’m a mom! I often feel so vulnerable, yet His grace is greater than my weakness and failures!

• Avatar Leslie R says:

No, He is not safe at all. One of my favorite verses is Mark 9.24, “I believe, help my unbelief.” I am working on being willing and need His help to get there.

• Avatar Stephanie says:

I needed this today, thank you. My daughter just left for her very first outing with grandma and seeing her tiny hand blowing me kisses from the backseat made me realize this: her mommy wasn’t ready. All morning I worried about the most inconsequential things (and some that weren’t so small) and I finally realized that while “I” wasn’t ready, she was. She needed it and I know that whatever happens, God would show us the way to pull through.

• Avatar Kara says:

‘If there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than me or else just silly.’

‘Then he isn’t safe?’ asked Lucy.

‘Safe?’ said Mr. Beaver. ‘Don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.’

• […] love most things Kat writes, and her post today, Is God Safe?, was one of those especially meaningful ones for […]

• Sigh.. Just yesterday, church was about the fact that we can be safe, or we can give God our ALL. Which is, after all, exactly what He commands of us. It was so much easier before.. Before our youngest son went to Heaven, before it became so difficult to trust, before I needed safe. I DO love God but I have reached a point.. ::: sigh :::

God is not safe. But He is GOOD, He loves me, he is enough.

• Avatar Kayla says:

So glad someone posted the Narnia quote. That was the first thing I thought of when I read this.

As to how we can pray for our children regarding safety, I think some of it is changing our perspective. My kids are both adopted from Haiti and came home following years of waiting. We committed to them as infants, visited them multiple times during the process and saw them come home as 2 and 3 year olds. I was not there to physically ensure they were safe or happy. Somewhere along the way, someone blessed me with the gift of Psalms 139. It is a wonderful prayer to pray for your kids (put their names in for the pronouns in the psalm) as it affirms God’s presence in their lives. No, He may not keep them “safe” (whatever safe means) but He will be present in their lives at every moment and He will know them intimately because He made them.

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

I’ve had a hard one with this one too. I felt guilty for those prayers, wondering why MY girls should be safe while other mothers were crying out as their kids were starving, sick, abused or stolen.
    What I’ve decided is to pray:
    Your will be done…lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
    You can’t go wrong quoting Christ and being in His will is what I desire for all of us!

• Avatar Debbie says:

I know that everyday I wake up and look forward with the time with my Father
    to start each day and fully complete that day only that to make way for
    my children to understand and the examples that I may lead them to also
    lead a full life with God, the Father. He says, ask and you shall receive, only
    if you live righteous, and believe, will he hear your prayers. I pray daily for
    our nation and our president, and all christains, to stand up and start speaking up and get our United States, back under control. AMEN>>>>>