If You’ve Ever Fallen Asleep During Your Quiet Time…

By February 23, 2011Create A Morning Routine

If you’ve ever struggled during your time with God in the morning, felt groggy or unfocused, be encouraged that there is value even in sleepy quiet times.

Read on…

——–

It was 6:30am and like clockwork she came scampering in, blanket in one hand, Bible in the other.

“What are you reading today Mommy?”

Clearing my groggy, unused voice, I replied,”The story of Joseph.”

“Oh! I like that one. I’m reading about David.”

We settled in and continued our reading. She made herself comfy under the blanket next to me and within a couple minutes I heard her slow and steady breathing. Her Bible was askew on her chest, her eyes closed…

…and I couldn’t have loved her more.

She just wanted to be with me. She could have stayed warm. She could have stayed cozy. She could have stayed in her bed.

But she wanted me more.

I didn’t care that she fell asleep. I didn’t care that we didn’t finish a task.

It meant everything to me that she loved me more than her comfort.

—————

There is value in faithfulness.There is value just in just going to the feet of Jesus.

Even if you fall asleep.

Here is a song I love and listen to often in the morning. It’s called Faithful and it’s by an artist by the name of Brooke Fraser. (RSS and email subscribers, click here to watch the video.)

“Faithful”

There’s distance in the air and I cannot make it leave
i wave my arms’ round about me and blow with all my might
I cannot sense you close, though I know you’re always here
But the comfort of you near is what i long for

[CHORUS] When I can’t feel you, I have learned to reach out just the same
When I can’t hear you, I know you still hear everyword I pray
And i want you more than i want to live another day
And as I wait for you maybe I’m made more faithful

All the folly of the past, though I know it is undone
i still feel the guilty one, still trying to make it right
So i whisper soft your name, let it roll around my tounge,
knowing you’re the only one who knows me
You know me

[CHORUS] [BRIDGE] Show me how I should live this
Show me where I should walk
I count this world as loss to me
You are all I want
You are all I want

The God of Heaven and Earth wants to be with you. To give you vision and purpose for your day. He wants to tell you that you are beautiful, unimaginably loved, and that together, you’re capable of doing amazing things.

Whether you believe it or not. Whether you feel it or not. This is true.

And each time you choose to come before Him, in faithfulness, one more layer of disbelief is peeled away.

Even if you fall asleep every now and then.

Tips

Aside from getting a good nights sleep (which I hope we’re all working on) what do you do to wake up in the morning?

—-
(A portion of this content is re-posted from 2/5/10)

Comments

• Love this post because it is so very true!!! God just wants US. 🙂 That makes me smile…and feel so very loved. 🙂

• Avatar Amanda says:

I put my alarm on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off…but I’ve still hit snooze a few times before! And yes, I’ve fallen asleep during my quiet time before.

• Avatar elizabeth c. says:

I take my shower before I have my quiet time. It helps quite a bit. But I really struggle with getting a good night’s sleep. The best I can do is go to bed at 11:30 (when I have to give my son his heart medicine) and the latest I can sleep in is 5:30 if I am going to get to the bus stop on time. I can’t remember the last time I got 7 or more hours of sleep 🙁

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by simplydar and Hope Wilbanks, Kat @Inspired2Action. Kat @Inspired2Action said: New Post: "If You’ve Ever Fallen Asleep During Your Quiet Time…" – http://ow.ly/41T3P […]

• Lovely, lovely, lovely. You’re so good at finding music, Kat, you’ve blessed my life (which dropped out of music in 97 when Rich Mullens died, basically) with music links. Thanking God for that talent you have! It’s a true talent, musical.

Love the picture of babygirl falling asleep, coming to do what momma does and falling asleep easy in the arms of Jesus. Oh yes. Oh I need that back again, Lord keep ahold of my babygirl who’s 10!

Thank you Kat, God bless you!
    I’m still waking up early, still with a song in my heart, and reading my Bible online as sent from Zondervan with a picture to the verse.

• Avatar Ashley says:

Ahhh, such a timely post for me… I fell asleep talking to the Lord this morning… It’s been a long week already. Kids just got over the flu and I find myself aching. But I know he blesses my feeble efforts. 🙂 Thanks for a great reminder!

• Many, many times! But what a wonderful reminder from your daughter that sometimes it is okay just to BE with Him. He can bless you in your sleep!
    Bernice

• Avatar Beth W. says:

I just hit the pandora app on my phone while in bed (I listen the the Sovereign Grace station) and after it has played for a few minutes I find I have the energy to get out of bed!

• Avatar Kristy says:

I have been listening to “Faithful” most mornings. It’s just awesome. Thanks to you!

I find I have to put my alarm in the dining room to motivate myself to get up before it wakes anyone else up. If it’s in my room, I turn it off and go to sleep without really realizing it. Fear that the kids will wake because of my alarm is a great motivator!

• Avatar crissa says:

That is an incredible idea! My children already wake up extremely early, so I would be very motivated to not make it any earlier. Now I’m thinking about using 2 alarm clocks, the one in my room set 5 minutes earlier than the one in the hall outside the childrens’ rooms. 🙂 (I’m so dead in the mornings that I sometimes don’t even hear my alarm clock–I’m one who needs the threat of imminent danger!) Thank you so much for this!!

• Avatar Kristy says:

I hope it helps! I am sure I got the idea from Kat or one of her readers. So thanks to whoever that was! 🙂

• Avatar Lara says:

LOVE Brooke Fraser. Sweet post.

• Avatar Mariposa says:

Adorable story! Beautiful song… 🙂

• Avatar Amy C. says:

I have a friend call me @ 6, but I set my alarm for 5:59 so that I can get the phone (its in my bathroon). I then have to call another friend @ 6:30, so I have to get in & out of the shower before that call. By the time I’m done w/ that, I’m awake enoug for a quiet time (that & my cup of coffee in hand while I commune w/ the Lord).
    thanks for all the encouragement, Kat. I so appreciate all your posts; I’m glad to know that I’m not alone. 🙂

• Avatar Sarah says:

This story was so precious. Thanks for sharing. I have since shared it with like 5 people!! My friend and I were talking about how important it is to have our quiet times uninterrupted sometimes but also in FRONT of our kids because they need to not only KNOW that we have our time with the Lord but also SEE us in the discipline. I remember getting up in the morning as a child and finding my dad, without fail, at the kitchen table, reading his Bible. That stuck with me. A powerful image seeing your parents at the foot of the cross. 🙂 Your little ones are blessed indeed.

• Avatar Tara says:

Love this. Thank you for the encouragement – to just go to His feet.

• Avatar Kara says:

Pre-program the coffee pot…almost like somebody got up and made coffee for me…