Hello Mornings! {Winter ’11} Week 5: Huddle Up!

By February 25, 2011Create A Morning Routine

The following post is from HelloMornings gal, Michelle.

Hello, friends! We are five weeks into this challenge and I think it’s time for a huddle, so gather round.

Encouragement

Psalm 143:8, The Message:

Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You.

Jesus Calling, February 25:

Rest In My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direst your course one step at a time.

MYM Challenge

I don’t know about yours, but my children seem to be joining the early morning challenge with me. And, as our sleep tanks are getting depleted, so enter the grumpies.

In order to make sure they are getting the right amount of sleep, I asked the Twitter community how much sleep their kids get. The most frequent answer was 11 hours.

So, I scribbled out our schedule, making sure my kids are getting at least 11 hours of sleep.  Then I realized, if I am getting the recommended 8 hours, that leaves me with about 3 hours of free time each day.

Now to decide how to spend those 3 hours. Since I do enjoy spending time with my Husband, I decided to wake up 1 hour before the kids and go to bed 2 hours after them. (Any more time in the morning and I get tempted to go wake them up!)

Writing it down helped me visualize how my day could flow best.

Daylight Savings Time

Since my kids are already trending toward earlier wake-ups, I decided that they’re just getting ready for Daylight Savings Time early. (Remember, we lose an hour of sleep!)

Daylight Savings Time begins March 13 in most places. Some kids take the time change completely in stride, others benefit from a gradual transition. Either way, keep in mind that it’s coming!

Twitter Party Recap

We had a fantastic chat on Twitter the other week. There were over 500 #hellomornings tweets during that 45 minute chat!

If you weren’t able to make it, you can read over the transcript from that night.

You can read the transcript even if you don’t have a Twitter account!

Twitter Chat Transcript — February 15, 2011

Hello Mornings! Link-Up

Have your written a post about Hello Mornings? We’d love to read it!

Please add the URL to your specific Hello Mornings post below:

Next Week’s Link-Up

I thought it would be fun to include pictures of our HelloMornings! next week. It could be your cozy spot, your mornings beverage or your current reading material.

Get creative and get those pictures ready!

Question of the Week

Many of you are asking for ideas with the exercise part of your morning routine, so that is the theme for this week’s comments.

How have you included exercise into your routine?

OR, ask any questions you have, exercise-related or not!

Just remembered we were in a huddle, so… 1, 2, 3, Hello Mornings!

photo credit

Michelle spends her days keeping up with two energetic boys, ages 4 and 2. She loves bold coffee, Jesus, daydreaming, and her Mennonite.

You can find her on Twitter, Facebook, or hanging out at her personal blog.

Comments

• Avatar Tara says:

I, too, am having issues with the kiddos getting up earlier. The only problem I am having is that they are going to bed later too :S

As far as exercise goes, I am barely getting it done. Hubby has helped some, but just can’t seem to get it done. I like the 5 minute idea. I am changing it a bit to add lunges.

• Avatar GinnyLou says:

It’s been so nice to hear that I’m not the only one with kiddos who have been magically waking up earlier! This was the first week I tried to add exercise into my routine, which resulted in me having to get up about 25 minutes earlier. I found a Couch to 5K plan online which seemed pretty doable. It was, until the kids got sick. I got on the treadmill two days (and still have hope for today!) and stuck with the earlier wakeup time the rest of the days. I found I really looked forward to the “rest” days because that gave me plenty of time for a relaxed quiet time!

Interested to see the pics next week! Just so long as you don’t want to see ME first thing in the morning, I’m game!

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Michelle, Kat @Inspired2Action. Kat @Inspired2Action said: #hellomornings friends! Check out @michellebygrace 's super fun idea for next week! "Huddle Up!" http://ow.ly/43yXo […]

I do my exercises in the afternoon so the kids (4yo and 1yo) join in. They think I’m crazy. =p I blogged about the apps I have on my phone for a 15-minute workout (abs, arms, butt) linked above. I think it is good to have a super basic workout that we can do if we don’t have time. Easier said than done I guess. Sparkpeople.com has some good workouts to choose from too.

We had a rough week this week…many nighttime wakings from the teething one, and random wakings from the older one. =/ *sigh*

• Avatar Shannon says:

Hi! I actually just found your site this week and downloaded the ebook. It’s been 4 days and on 3 I have gotten up before my 8 mth old and on 1 I just slept as long as she did. One day 1, I got a full hour to myself, it was wonderful but on the other 2 days she has woken up within 15-30 min of me waking – it’s okay though because I am at least getting dressed before her which is my biggest morning challenge as a working mom. I will persevere and hopefully the rest will come in time!

• Avatar Hannah says:

I can’t do any excerise that requires me to leave the house while the kids are asleep b/c my hubby has to leave early for work (he has a commute) so I decided to use Wii Fit. My oldest son has been up while I’ve been doing it which is fine. He’s been trying to do some of the yoga moves with me, haha!

• I haven’t added exercise into my mornings yet…partly not enough time yet (still moving my wake-up earlier) and partly I find whenever I do cardio in the morning I am STARVING all day long, and I’m sure eat waaay more extra calories than I actually burned exercising! I’m thinking about maybe doing Pilates in the morning, and then carrying on with my cardio later in the day (my kids often join in too, Joyce!).

• Avatar Bethanyr says:

I usually pop in a workout dvd, right now I’m doing P90x but I’ve done some Jillian Michaels and Insanity too. Some days are better than others, but I usually work out 4 mornings then do the other 2 days at night 🙂

Thanks for the encouragement, so great to check in and see other smiling faces in the morning!!

• Avatar Courtney says:

I have a collection of exercise DVDs gathering dust, so I finally got honest about what works for me, and now I’m going to a class twice a week. This means I am getting regular exercise for the first time in a long time, and I’m finally creating a base to build upon. One class is on Tuesday mornings at 6am, so it is part of my early morning time, but the other one is on Saturdays. So far, this is working for me!

• Avatar Kara says:

I pretty much have to match myself up with “fast-walking-buddies” on every day that is possible…or it doesn’t happen for me. But we’ve been walking for 10+ years now and that’s also how I maintain close friendships as life gets more and more hectic. I homeschool on Tuesday and Thursdays, so on those days….when the kids are home and I can’t leave…we either leave to walk really early OR lately I’ve been trying to get in 10 min. treadmill segments while listening to a John Piper or Matt Chandler sermon on the ipod….for some reason I can trick myself into managing 10 mintues at a time…and by the end of the day…I’ve listened to something worthwhile…